Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
HandbagJunkie
HandbagJunkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Calibre won't load on new Macbook Pro--please help!

I've been searching this forum and cannot find an answer and I need help!

I just upgraded from a powerbook to a macbook pro and Calibre is not working. I downloaded Calibre just fine. When I launch it for the first time (not from the dmg, but as copied to my Applications folder), it complains:

calibre is already running: calibre may be running in the system tray, in the upper right region of the screen. If you are sure it is not running, try deleting the file: /Users/MyUserName/.calibre_calibre GUI.lock

1. It is not running
2. There appears to be no such file on the computer
3. What is this "system tray"? I can't find that either.

My OS is updated and it's the latest version of calibre: Version: 0.6.31

Can anyone help me get Calibre running on my new machine? Thanks!
HandbagJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
drplokta
drplokta began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandbagJunkie View Post
I've been searching this forum and cannot find an answer and I need help!

I just upgraded from a powerbook to a macbook pro and Calibre is not working. I downloaded Calibre just fine. When I launch it for the first time (not from the dmg, but as copied to my Applications folder), it complains:

calibre is already running: calibre may be running in the system tray, in the upper right region of the screen. If you are sure it is not running, try deleting the file: /Users/MyUserName/.calibre_calibre GUI.lock

1. It is not running
2. There appears to be no such file on the computer
3. What is this "system tray"? I can't find that either.

My OS is updated and it's the latest version of calibre: Version: 0.6.31

Can anyone help me get Calibre running on my new machine? Thanks!
I suspect the system tray message applies to the Windows version, and should be ignored on OS X.

The lock file is a hidden file (because its filename starts with a .), and won't show up in Finder. You'll need to run Terminal and type "rm .calibre_calibre\ GUI.lock", which should delete it. If you want to see if it's there before you delete it, type "ls -a", which will list all files in the directory including hidden ones.
drplokta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
HandbagJunkie

drplokta thank you for your reply!

I tried your suggestion, but it says: command not found and when it listed the files in terminal, it doesn't show up.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
SuperJet
SuperJet began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Unhappy

I also run into problem with 0.6.31. When I launch calibre in the console under /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/, I got these error messages:
Code:
calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre
Python function terminated unexpectedly: dlopen(/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages/PyQt4/QtWebKit.so, 2): Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/4/QtWebKit
  Referenced from: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages/PyQt4/QtWebKit.so
  Reason: image not found
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/site.py", line 147, in main
    return run_entry_point()
  File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/lib/python2.6/site.py", line 115, in run_entry_point
    pmod = __import__(mod, fromlist=[1], level=0)
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/meta.py", line 11, in <module>
  File "site-packages/calibre/customize/ui.py", line 12, in <module>
  File "site-packages/calibre/customize/builtins.py", line 393, in <module>
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/pdf/output.py", line 18, in <module>
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/pdf/writer.py", line 22, in <module>
ImportError: dlopen(/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages/PyQt4/QtWebKit.so, 2): Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/4/QtWebKit
  Referenced from: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages/PyQt4/QtWebKit.so
  Reason: image not found
While 0.6.28 runs well.
And I can't see ".calibre_calibre GUI.lock" under /USERS/[myname]

Last edited by SuperJet; 01-02-2010 at 10:18 PM.
SuperJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/4299
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
HandbagJunkie

I was finally able to change the permissions on the home directory and it worked! Thanks all!