Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
Vitanitas
Vitanitas began at the beginning.

Device: none
What firmware do certain kindles come with?

Hi, so after 5 years my K3's screen finally broke (probably stepped on it- RIP K3) so I ordered a refurbished paperwhite. When I got the paperwhite there were some things I really couldn't stand, but of course I had already let it up date to 5.6! So I returned it and I'm currently looking for another pw that will hopefully have a lower firmware.

My question is, do we know what firmware certain kindles come with? Like if I ordered a new pw3 would its firmware be below 5.6 (as long as I don't connect to wifi and let it upate)? Or should I keep looking for a refurbished pw1 or pw2? Or just give up and buy a new screen for my trusty K3.

Sorry if this has been answered already, or theres a model number/firmware list floating around I haven't seen. I've been lurking for awhile but haven't found an answer to this.
Vitanitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
A Kindle will usually come with the latest firmware for that model that was available at the time that particular unit left the factory.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help you as the PW3 began life on fw5.6.1.1
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
For the PW-1, there is an exception to the "can't downgrade 5.6.x firmware" rule, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=264432

Everything "new" now ships with 5.6.<something>

Last edited by knc1; 09-07-2015 at 04:42 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware update, paperwhite