Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #406
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Apart from the weird grey band at the top of the screen, the one on the left looks a lot nicer screen to me. The one on the right looks a bit blotchy, mainly from the shadows at the bottom, but also some colour on it too (I don't see it as noticeably as xendua but I don't think I'm that colour sensitive). On the plus side, the text looks a bit darker on it than the one on the left.

If the shadows are still there when you have the light at the level you read at in the dark, then I'd go for a replacement. If you only notice it because you've put the light up high for the photos, and don't really see any colour on there, is it really worth returning it? Although not perfect, it's far from being a poor screen, at least IMHO! It's what you think that counts, you're the one who is going to be reading on it.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 02-20-2013 at 09:46 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #407
Rosie-Posie
Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
my paperwhite was just shipped
I saw on Amazon that it is batch 604, hope it doesn't have that grey line on the top
does anyone else have a PW from batch 604?
Rosie-Posie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #408
heatherlynn
Connoisseur
heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie-Posie View Post
my paperwhite was just shipped
I saw on Amazon that it is batch 604, hope it doesn't have that grey line on the top
does anyone else have a PW from batch 604?
where can i see which batch my pw is from? i just ordered mine yesterday but it will be here tomorrow. hoping for the best but trying to prepare for the worst lol
heatherlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #409
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherlynn View Post
where can i see which batch my pw is from? i just ordered mine yesterday but it will be here tomorrow. hoping for the best but trying to prepare for the worst lol
Once it ships the serial number will be listed for it under manage your kindle/manage your devices.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #410
Rosie-Posie
Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rosie-Posie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

on amazon, go to manage your kindle, and then manage your devices, you'll see a serial number of your PW there, it looks like this yyyy yXXX yyyy yyyy
the XXX part is the batch number
Rosie-Posie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #411
heatherlynn
Connoisseur
heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ohhh that is why i can not see it, i listed my pw as a gift! just in case it got stolen in shipping or lost or what have you. i did not want it tied to my credit card in the one in a million chance that this could happen. but it will be here tomorrow hopefully, i can't wait now i'm interested to see which batch it is from
heatherlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #412
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherlynn View Post
ohhh that is why i can not see it, i listed my pw as a gift! just in case it got stolen in shipping or lost or what have you. i did not want it tied to my credit card in the one in a million chance that this could happen. but it will be here tomorrow hopefully, i can't wait now i'm interested to see which batch it is from
Smart. I forgot to do that when I bought mine from my hubby's account. (He has Prime) when I registered the PW to my account the foreign dictionaries did not transfer over.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #413
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
A Microfiber cloth with a dab of water on the cloth.
I do it without water. I only use water if dry is not working well enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #414
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have to say that both those screen look entirely normal to me. That's the problem here - different people have different expectations about what this lighting technology can achieve. You will NOT get a perfectly evenly illuminated screen, like an LCD screen. A certain amount of shadowing is entirely normal.
Look at the Kindle on the left and look at the lower left side. There a bright bit on the left side towards the bottom. It's about 6 or 7 lines in height.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #415
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
Hey xendula... by bruising you're talking about the shadows at the bottom? (between the LEDs?). I can still replace that one as its in the 30 days - I had just resigned to reading with those as everything else was good & others had the same on theirs. What do you think?
Sorry, I did not realize we were not detecting the same issues, or I would have refrained from commenting at all!! For the record, I am apparently extremely color sensitive.

By bruising I mean the greenish-pinkish blotches that are found on so many Paperwhites. They look like bruised skin after a beating A lot of people do not actually see them at all.

If you only see the shadows, though, I'd say better keep the one on the right.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #416
drewh
Connoisseur
drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

xendulla, thanks heaps - but I don't see it at all! I do see a white patch on the right screen, bottom right corner (that has always annoyed me) - the colour of white is greater than the rest and looks out of place.

Interesting, checked my account re serial of replacement for left 'grey line kindle' and its a 503!!! going back in time. What are the chances of a batch 503 a good screen? does anyone here have a 503 and are very happy with how their screen looks? (if shadows at the bottom they're barely noticeable etc).
drewh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #417
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
xendulla, thanks heaps - but I don't see it at all! I do see a white patch on the right screen, bottom right corner (that has always annoyed me) - the colour of white is greater than the rest and looks out of place.

Interesting, checked my account re serial of replacement for left 'grey line kindle' and its a 503!!! going back in time. What are the chances of a batch 503 a good screen? does anyone here have a 503 and are very happy with how their screen looks? (if shadows at the bottom they're barely noticeable etc).
I have a 503 and love it! The screen is perfect. No color blobs at all.

You're not the first to report a bezel issue with the 604. It seems whoever is making that batch needs to fix the template.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #418
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
So, they're sending me another one, but I was BEYOND irritated at the follow-up email sent to me giving me some options. I was very clear in my original email what the issue was. You know what she sent me? An explanation of how the LED lights can cast those shadows at the bottom of the screen, along with a link to Amazon's "we want you to know" picture. You know, I would have been just fine if she'd acknowledged the actual issue (COLOR HUES!) without offering any kind of explanation or reassurances; what I cannot deal with is completely ignoring what I said the issue was and replying with a stock answer about the spotlight effect (which doesn't bother me at all). Really, Amazon?

Anyway, I don't have high hopes for this next one, but we'll see. This really will be the last time I try for replacement. I will simply have to adjust and hope that the PW2 is actually ready for prime time when they release it.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #419
jswinden
Nameless Being

Customer service is usually scripted and rarely have a real clue as to what is going on. they typically rely on others within the company to write out their responses. Amazon CS is very nice to work with, but they are no more product savvy than any other CS I've dealt with. In the cases where they have promised people they would send a newly revised and better PW I suspect they did little more than sort through several PWs looking for a good one. Obviously these were just the same old sh*$ they send out to everyone. Some are good and some are bad. Amazon has really blown it with the PW as far as consistency and quality control.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #420
drewh
Connoisseur
drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have a 503 and love it! The screen is perfect. No color blobs at all.

You're not the first to report a bezel issue with the 604. It seems whoever is making that batch needs to fix the template.
Great Blossom glad to hear that, thanks! I'll let you know how it is when it arrives (hopefully tomorrow). No doubt its a refurb but I'm guessing I'll prob not be able to tell at all...

Interesting re 604 batch - wonder if anyone visually checks 1 in every x of them or some ratio, and should have picked it up..
drewh is offline   Reply With Quote