Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
redryder
redryder began at the beginning.

Device: none
How many books do you store in your reader?

I have a K3, not much memory onboard. It doesn't matter though, because I found that keeping too many books in the device is detrimental to focused reading.

I just don't have the discipline. I couldn't read on the ipad because I would keep getting distracted and go play a game or surf the net. Same thing with the Kindle, I get distracted in a boring passage and switch to another book. This is especially true for non-fiction books, I don't have a problem sticking to fiction usually when the story is exciting.

I think I'm going to just leave one or two books in the kindle for now. Anyone else does this?
redryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Matriarch
Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
I fill my Kindle with as many books as I possibly can. At present I have ~500 books on my Kindle, and next time it needs to be charged, I'll be upping that number to ~1500. When I get a second e-reader, I plan on putting ~20,000 books on a microSD card. One of the primary reasons that I purchased an e-reader was so that I'd be able to carry my entire library with me, wherever I went - I hoard books.
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I keep about 500 on my Sony at any given time. Sort of a "most likely to want to read sometime in the near future" subset of my collection. My tastes vary wildly, and sometimes I read as much as a book a day, so constantly hooking up the Sony to transfer books would get on my nerves.

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 10-07-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: autocorrect got me again
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
redryder
redryder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do you guys managed to complete a book in one sitting or do you get tempted to switch books halfway?

It gets very tempting for me, when I have so many books stored in the device that I want to read. Sometimes I yearn for the old days when all I had was one book on a flight and I had no choice but to finish it properly.
redryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I don't switch books unless the one I'm reading is just too bad to finish, which only happens about twice a year.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Matriarch
Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by redryder View Post
Do you guys managed to complete a book in one sitting or do you get tempted to switch books halfway?
I'm only tempted to switch books if I have more than one book going at a time, which I tend to do (at the moment I'm reading three at once). Having 500 books on my device doesn't make it any harder to read an entire book in one full sitting, though - studying full-time and working full-time is what makes that hard.
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I have two special folders that make it easier for me to handle my books at my Ebook Reading Device.

The first folder is called "Nachttischstapel" and contains the books that I think I'll read soon.. Only a maximum of ~18 books are allowed in this folder.

And the second folder is just "Lektüre", this are the five books I'm really reading right now.

That makes it easier for me. And it's fun to sort some books into the "Nachttischstapel" or to remove them because you found something better in your other folders..

Last edited by medard; 10-07-2012 at 11:39 PM.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I have 464 books on my Nook Color and probably a few less on my eDGe. I keep a good number of audio books on each as well.

I never get distracted because I never turn on the wifi (or rarely -- maybe two or three times a year).

I only have a few books on the iPod. I find transferring to it is a lot more complicated (probably just me, though).
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I have approximately 150-200 books on my Kindle Keyboard.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 10-10-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: add Kindle model
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
On one reader, I have over 300 books, most sorted out into their own genre sections.

On the other, I have 10 books. This is the kindle with ads that I take with me everywhere. It used to also have a ton of books on it, but Calibre made it easier for me to limit the number of books to what I want to read 'next' vs. what is available.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #11
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I have nearly 500 at present, but way more on calibre. (Kindle 4).

I do find I am easily distracted and sometimes flit from book to book if I can't make up my mind, but I also am so glad I have calibre. Sometimes I'll read a book and go "ugh!" hitting the delete button in disgust, only to change my mind later.

Yes, I do have a tag on calibre called "crappy books" just for fun, but mostly for reference, most are sample downloads of books I have warned myself to never buy.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #12
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I keep 10 to 20 on my iPad. I only read one at a time, usually completing two books a day, sometimes more. After I finish the current selection, I delete them all and add 10 to 20 more.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by redryder View Post

It gets very tempting for me, when I have so many books stored in the device that I want to read. Sometimes I yearn for the old days when all I had was one book on a flight and I had no choice but to finish it properly.
I do give up on books more now that I'm spoiled for choice. I don't actually see a problem with that though, if the book is good I finish it, if it's not I move on.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #14
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I load 10 at a time and only read one at a time unless it is rubbish then I stop and start another. When I am down to 9 read I delete the 9 and replace with another 9. That keeps my library on my reader nicely organised. I prioritise the books to read in Calibre.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #15
History
Enthusiast
History began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I used to keep 1000+ books on my old Kobo, but after seeing some tips saying that smaller number would be much better for power consumption on sleep, I only keep 5; and it does help the battery
History is offline   Reply With Quote