Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you encourage or discourage your friend from buying Onyx Boox M92?
I would encourage a friend to buy the device 23 62.16%
I don't know / I'm confused / I'd wait 6 16.22%
I would discourage a friend from buying the device 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Onyx Boox M92 - To buy or not to buy?

It's been a few months now since first M92 samples have arrived so I think that it is a good time to do a similar survey as we had for Onyx Boox M90 and help those who still can't decide (including me ).

A question to the owners of Onyx Boox M92 then. Based on your experience with the device would you encourage or discourage your friend from buying Onyx Boox M92?
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Floghi
Floghi began at the beginning.

Device: M92 onyx boox
A very good device,
I had some doubts force to read negative reviews, and (minor) bugs report, but
now that i got it, i'm rly happy of it, no problem from hardward or software, good calibration for mine device,
and open source soft and kernel,
what else?
Floghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floghi View Post
A very good device,
I had some doubts force to read negative reviews, and (minor) bugs report, but
now that i got it, i'm rly happy of it, no problem from hardward or software, good calibration for mine device,
and open source soft and kernel,
what else?
If I understand you right, you seem to be happy that it works at all.
I for one don't give a damn if software is open or closed - as long as it does what it is supposed to do.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur
LovePlanetEarth began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 Black (Finally!!!)
After months and months, I've made my mind!
I'm buying Boox M92!!!

But I want it in Black!!!
LovePlanetEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePlanetEarth View Post
After months and months, I've made my mind!
I'm buying Boox M92!!!

But I want it in Black!!!
Hi,

We ordered black M92 (the from manufacturer asked minimal amount). Now we are waiting for confirmation from Onyx Int.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
In order to make the decision to buy or not to buy I need to know one thing:
Is it possible to make wide side margins about 2 cm each when reading non-pdf books?
And 3 cm top and bottom margins would be nice but not a deal breaker.

On PocketBook 902 it can be done with FBReader180 only, no such luck with CoolReader or with the factory installed FBReader and Adobe reader.
On Kindle DX there is a good factory setting for side margins, although not for top/bottom ones.

Can anyone confirm that you yourself achieved approximately 2 cm left/right margins, so that the text line is about 9.8 - 10 cm in length?
2.5 cm would be ok too - 9cm - 8.8 cm text width is exactly as in paperbacks.

Wide margins are absolutely crucial to me.

Booxtor,
no longer in stock?
Neither white nor black.
This "no longer in stock" sounds as if it will never be available again.

Last edited by parkher; 02-14-2012 at 12:28 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
xxtraloud
Connoisseur
xxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheese

Device: DX
the m92 is getting many more positive votes than the m90
xxtraloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Booxtor,
no longer in stock?
Neither white nor black.
When I glance at ereader-store.de, I'm getting "Preorder. Available again from 16. February " (hey! that's thursday :-P). Where did you read "no longer in stock"?
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:

May I ask why?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
May I ask why?
Making notes on them??
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Is it possible to make wide side margins about 2 cm each when reading non-pdf books?
And 3 cm top and bottom margins would be nice but not a deal breaker.

On PocketBook 902 it can be done with FBReader180 only, no such luck with CoolReader or with the factory installed FBReader and Adobe reader.
On Kindle DX there is a good factory setting for side margins, although not for top/bottom ones.

Can anyone confirm that you yourself achieved approximately 2 cm left/right margins, so that the text line is about 9.8 - 10 cm in length?
2.5 cm would be ok too - 9cm - 8.8 cm text width is exactly as in paperbacks.

Booxtor,
no longer in stock?
Neither white nor black.
The new batch was dispatched to us yesterday (from Onyx) and we expect to get it at latest this Thursday. Then they are available again.

Black batch was not confirmed yet. The supplier want an order of at least 3000 pcs worldwide before they start to produce black frames. We have ordered 500.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Making notes on them??
Fermat proved this to be a bad idea...

(Sorry, I couldn't resist, given the number of mathematicians reading this forum )
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post

(Sorry, I couldn't resist, given the number of mathematicians reading this forum )
Then you have to explain it to those who are not mathematicians or do not want to Google it...
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #14
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post

I liked that one

Quote:
This [i.e. the famous "Fermat's Last Theorem"] theorem was first conjectured by Pierre de Fermat in 1637, famously in the margin of a copy of Arithmetica where he claimed he had a proof that was too large to fit in the margin.
... and please note, that this theorem remained unproven until the 1990s ... and it was really long and hard - definitely not the proof, that Fermat was talking about.

Last edited by tuxor; 02-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
Beryll Snyder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Making notes on them??
Well, that's not a book. And as space is very limited on ereaders I don't know if that is such good idea - but wether or not the device is actually capable to do it, I don't know, but I don't think so.