Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #16
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Very nice video. Thanks.

I've only heard good things (and used them myself) about BHPhotoVideo.
Ditto here. I bought my PRS-900 from them, and they can count on my dollars for a PRS-950 when it comes out.

Update: My wife saw the video Charbax posted, and now she wants an upgrade as well!
I just tried to pre-order PRS-650 from BHPhotoVideo for her, but they don't seem to be stocking the original Sony light cover. I opted for SonyStyle and mail forwarders instead. It's a bit more expensive, but I really like the Sony light cover.
Estimated delivery is on 19 September.

Last edited by m-reader; 09-06-2010 at 02:43 PM.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #17
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Wow, I really like that. i had initially been ready to jump on the K3 wagon, but I thought twice after thinking about having to convert everything to .mobi. I still like the prices on Kindle books.. but I still want to support epub. Maybe a losing decision in the end, though.. Still I think my next device will be a 650, not a K3.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
I was really more impressed with a promise of exporting notes and annotations as rtf to supplement epub file. Now I really don't know what to do with my existing readers and how to justify new one.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #19
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Great video, thanks for posting!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #20
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
I was really more impressed with a promise of exporting notes and annotations as rtf to supplement epub file. Now I really don't know what to do with my existing readers and how to justify new one.
don't put too much stock in that export ability. From what I understood in the video, that ability to export notes from DRM (ADE in this case) content is at the will of the publisher. And he even made a point that many (I got the sense he meant most not a few) publishers are NOT on board with allowing the exporting of the notes though you can take them but they stay on the device only. So, as usual I suggest a wait and see thing to see how well this ability will be embraced by publishers even if the ability should easily fall under the umbrella of "fair use"...but these days Fair Use is whoever has the best lawyers not the real intent of that doctrine. So, likely this will be yet another pointless trip into the legal system over BOOKS and to retrieve rights most countries already allow for printed books. Publishers so want software rules and restrictions to apply and have ebooks considered to be software.

No matter, great video Charbax...thanks...very cool touch interface, was really impressed with how responsive it was. And almost anything is an improvement over resistive.

Last edited by brecklundin; 09-08-2010 at 04:05 AM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #21
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Very cool video. I was waiting for an e-reader with a stylus for taking notes...but got tired of waiting.

Might pick this up when it comes out. Pretty awesome. Handy for taking notes in class and such. Too bad a portion of my typical history books aren't available as e-books.

Exporting notes to rtf is cool also. DRM sucks but it is strippable.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:42 AM   #22
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Very cool video. I was waiting for an e-reader with a stylus for taking notes...but got tired of waiting.
Not sure how long it's been out but the Hanvon WISEreader N518 looks really nice. http://usa.hanvon.com/E-book_Reader/195.shtml http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858660002
It is rather pricey though. *sigh*
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #23
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
AFAIK, the best and the only place that ships Sony Readers outside the country is B&H Photo Video.
I've only ordered domestically from bhphotovideo, but I've spent hundreds of dollars there over dozens of orders and I can only give them the highest recommendations.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #24
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Not sure how long it's been out but the Hanvon WISEreader N518 looks really nice. http://usa.hanvon.com/E-book_Reader/195.shtml It is rather pricey though. *sigh*
Hanvon needs to hire a better English translator.

From the linked site: "Nonradioactive. Safety use and no radiation on the physical abuse. This reading partner will ensure health."

I'm glad it's not radioactive. Is that a problem with other ereaders? I wondered why my Kindle and Sony glowed in the dark.

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 09-08-2010 at 07:25 AM.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #25
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Not sure how long it's been out but the Hanvon WISEreader N518 looks really nice. http://usa.hanvon.com/E-book_Reader/195.shtml http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858660002
It is rather pricey though. *sigh*
Hanvon firmware is garbage. Stylus works only with .txt files, for instance.
I've got a Hanvon N520: it's a 5" device as big as a 6" (it's as big as a Sony PRS600) and its firmware is terrible (and never been updated).
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #26
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
If Sony had a 9.7" model to compete with the Kindle DX and allow us to read PDFs comfortably I would buy it over the Kindle DX.
Touch and multi-language dictionaries are great. I will miss them if I buy a Kindle DX.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #27
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
If Sony had a 9.7" model to compete with the Kindle DX and allow us to read PDFs comfortably I would buy it over the Kindle DX.
Touch and multi-language dictionaries are great. I will miss them if I buy a Kindle DX.
I have seen and played with Kindle DX (new Perl screen). I can tell you that my PRS-900 (and the PRS-950 when it comes out) works really well with PDF.
PDF re-flow is really good and there's support for ToC. DX lacks both of these
features.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #28
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
I've only ordered domestically from bhphotovideo, but I've spent hundreds of dollars there over dozens of orders and I can only give them the highest recommendations.
I will back up this recommendation with my buddies and myself & having spent, well, obscene amounts of money with them on camera gear, and other gear as well. Best customer service around.

On thing to remember is they have limits during the week and year when they are open. This is due to religious convictions which I completely respect them forgoing the business in favor of their values. But it is something to be aware of when ordering or even placing an order as they do not even accept orders during these times.

If you ever want to see how well they treat their customers google HenryP and find photography related forums...he is part of B&H and very serious about fixing any problems their normal channels might have an issue resolving. For example Henry helped me when I got a copy of a lense that simply did not work on my main DLSR body. I was in a total bind and needed to have the lense overnight and he made sure I received it on Saturday and went out before they closed for business on Friday sundown. B&H ate the extra cost for the Saturday delivery from B&H and it all worked out GREAT in the end. I had originally paid for overnight UPS because of a deadline and had to have the lense...Henry just made it sooo easy. Also so did everyone I dealt with on the matter from the shipping to making sure my refund on my returned lense was processed faster and before a pending week long closing for a religious period.

I love they are selling readers as well now...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #29
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I have seen and played with Kindle DX (new Perl screen). I can tell you that my PRS-900 (and the PRS-950 when it comes out) works really well with PDF.
PDF re-flow is really good and there's support for ToC. DX lacks both of these
features.
It is clear that this Sony model has great qualities. But I resized some PDFs on my PC to see how they would appear on the Sony PRS-950 and on the Kindle DX. The PDFs that cannot be reflowed, and those with diagrams and pictures are immediately readable on a 9.7" screen, but unreadable on smaller screens.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #30
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
thanks man, good video, it does look lovely, sigh for not having wifi or a large screen but I guess we ll make do with what we have.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony