Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
readergirl77
readergirl77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
How comfortable are you finding the Oasis 2?

I got the Oasis 2 after using the Oasis 1 for over a year. My reason for upgrading was I travel frequently and the charge on Oasis 1 was [poor]. I didn't like the whole splitting the battery thing and in that area, Oasis 2 has been great. BUT..
The back is cold [as ice]! I use the amazon leather cover and I cannot take it off because the metal is so cold! Thats my major gripe.
Then there is the weight - because of the form factor, holding the Oasis 2 in bed is more uncomfortable than the Voyage or even PW3.

I'd hate to get rid of it because I sold off all my other Kindles before getting this one. So now I'll have to visit John Lewis, return this device and then buy some other kindle - which is another decision I'll have to take.

Does reading on the Oasis 2 get any better.. more comfortable? What are your personal experiences and opinions??

Last edited by issybird; 11-18-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Language.
readergirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I put a Skinomi textured skin on the back of mine, and find it just fine to hold without a cover.

When I read in bed, I am laying on either of my sides, and without my glasses, so the screen is about 7” from my eyes. I use a pillow to prop it, and find it easy to hold. Once I have it in a cover, I’ll have to see if I’m able to prop it the same way as I can my Kobo, on its right edge with the cover creating an upside down V when I lay on my right side.

I’m pretty much thrilled with this Oasis, it’s the best one I’ve had to this point. I love how seamlessly the screen rotates when I switch hands, and the screen is beautiful. The extra size is wonderful too.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just moved from a Voyage to the Oasis 2 and find it wonderful. The back is a little slippery, but I have ordered a clear skin for it. I don't see any reason to cover the screen.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I started using mine yesterday, and found it very heavy indeed compared to my Voyage, due to the weight distribution. I was disappointed as I really thought I was going to have to return it. I persevered with it, and am now quite used to it, although if I pick up my Voyage, it feels very dinky and light compared to the new Oasis.

I'm surprised the weight distribution didn't feel natural to me at first. I found it quite comfortable to read with in bed, however, and this morning, reading on the sofa or walking around felt much more comfortable - so you might find that you adjust to it as I have.

I also started reading an old Calvin and Hobbes on it, and it really does look exceptional, plus the landscape format allows the whole strip to be read easily on one page, no zooming etc. necessary. And with the buttons at the bottom, it's extremely comfortable to hold, making it effortless for comics.

It's so much heavier than I was expecting it to be, though. Although most of that is just the altered perception due to the changed center of gravity.

The screen looks beautiful, although not as much contrast as my
Voyage or my husband's Paperwhite (which, incidentally, looks the best out of the three!).

I'm keeping it, but I wonder if the product testers were mostly male? It is a little difficult to handle for people with smaller hands...
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update: I just tried to download the same Calvin and Hobbes to my Voyage to compare it, and it won't even download - it is not compatible with it. So the new Oasis is worth it for this alone.
Advert
Old 11-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I found the oasis got much more comfortable when I stopped actually trying to position my thumb on the button when reading. I still don't see any benefit to the wonky uneven format, but aside from being a useless gimmick, it doesn't get in the way.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I'm getting used to the size and weight, although for travel I'm going to use my Oasis 1 and leave the Oasis 2 safely at home. The battery life doesn't seem any better than any of my other Kindles, though, and that's a bit disappointing.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I'm getting used to the size and weight, although for travel I'm going to use my Oasis 1 and leave the Oasis 2 safely at home. The battery life doesn't seem any better than any of my other Kindles, though, and that's a bit disappointing.
Actually the Oasis 2 has a smaller battery than the Voyage and the Paperwhite (at least according to Wikipedia). It has also twice as many LEDs. So yes, you'll never get its battery to last as long as the others'.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm keeping it, but I wonder if the product testers were mostly male? It is a little difficult to handle for people with smaller hands...
I’m a woman with very small hands, and I’ve no trouble holding the Oasis. It’s very balanced when you hold the thicker side.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I’m a woman with very small hands, and I’ve no trouble holding the Oasis. It’s very balanced when you hold the thicker side.
Same here - although I'm not sure if my hands are very small or just normally small.

When I bought my Voyage, I thought I was done buying new readers until it actually died. But I love this Oasis. As an older reader who's been slowly increasing the font size to deal with aging eyes, it's nice to have more on a screen. And now the Voyage screen feels "too small".

To me, the Oasis in the Amazon leather cover feels less heavy than the Voyage in the Amazon origami cover. I was always amazed at how heavy that Voyage cover was! It was probably my main disgruntlement with the Voyage.

If I had to come up with a complaint, I'd say I have to be careful how it's tilted, depending on where the lighting is coming from. I have had issues with glare if the light is in the right place - but I had that same issue with the Voyage.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard

Back when I used to can tomatoes and peaches along with a friend of mine, I had to wash the canning jars because I could get my hand all the way in the jar. I wear a 4.5 to a 5 size ring.

Years ago my husband bought me a ring for our tenth anniversary, and the jeweler wouldn't size it to a 4.5 because he said "You have to be wrong, no grown woman has that small of a ring finger." He had to eat his words when we went back with the ring.

The guy that drilled my bowling ball said it was the first time he drilled a 12 pound ball with child size bits but a adult span.

The more I use this Oasis, the more I like it for its balance and weight and how it fits my hands.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:16 PM   #12
Pjama
Guru

I'm used to it now, and I'm finding it's also very comfortable to hold with the cover on.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I (female) find it very comfortable for my small, long-fingered hands. The ability to be able to easily read one-handed is really, really nice. To me, it feels lightweight and very well balanced without the cover but also comfortable and not bulky with the Amazon leather cover attached. It is my first Oasis and I couldn't be more pleased, particularly with the 7" display. That said, I still enjoy my Voyage and its haptic page press.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #14
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
I love the metal (reminds me of the original 505), but had to cover it with a DecalGirl skin, adds grip and feels warmer
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #15
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
large hands may be a liability?

as i continue to adapt to my Oasis 1 (i sadly sent back the Oasis 2 on Friday), i realized that maybe having larger hands is an issue relative to smaller hand when it comes to holding either of the Oasis readers.

with a larger hand i can't really comfortably wrap my hand around the thicker portion of Oasis because if i did so, my thumb encroaches too far into the screenspace when it is relaxed. in fact, i have found that i often accidentally advance or go back a page if i'm not very careful with my hand placement. so i have to hold the Oasis so it's not entirely "flush" in my hand and that is probably what led to my hand cramping up holding the Oasis 2. with that being said, in hindsight, maybe a foam/grip pad would have helped as i would thing have a thicker/broader area to grab which might help with hand fatigue.

as for the Oasis 1, i still haven't found a norm yet for reading but i have gotten back to my "L shaped" ledge formed by my pointer finger and thumb to hold it most of the time, and i also can wrap my entire hand around the back of the device and hold it that way. not super comfortable, but not really uncomfortable either.

again, this all from the perspective of reading in bed, lying on my back. if i were reading on the sofa, i think there are a number of comfortable ways to read with any Kindle regardless of model and weight.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote