Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #256
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
If the download for transfer via USB doesn't have an extension, then it's a glitch. Try again...maybe from another browser.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #257
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
This method of getting books into Calibre doesn't always work for me. Some books download with no extension and Calibre doesn't recognize them.
Several people have reported problems using the download method when using a Mac with the Safari browser. One solution is to use the Chrome browser instead.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #258
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
If the download for transfer via USB doesn't have an extension, then it's a glitch. Try again...maybe from another browser.
I had tried again, and the problem always occurred. Not with every book, just some.
jangell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #259
jangell2
Addict
jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jangell2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Several people have reported problems using the download method when using a Mac with the Safari browser. One solution is to use the Chrome browser instead.
Well, hells bells, using Chrome fixed it. I had assumed it was just a new format the Calibre wasn't compatible with. Thank you for the fix!
Old 11-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #260
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The best solution is to use Firefox. Chrome is not a good solution.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #261
jangell2
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best solution is to use Firefox. Chrome is not a good solution.
Chrome is working fine. Not one single failure to download properly.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:56 AM   #262
HRR
Enthusiast
HRR began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air & iPad Pro
I just happened upon a web site for Epubor software that says it will, “Remove DRM from Kindle device and Kindle for PC/Mac with no quality loss, support AZW, AZW3, PRC, Mobi, KFX etc.” It is at https://www.epubor.com/softwares.html. Anyone familiar with it?
HRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #263
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRR View Post
It is at https://www.epubor.com/softwares.html. Anyone familiar with it?
Only with what was previously stated in post 236 of this thread, below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris-maybe View Post
Yesterday, I received a email from Epubor. They announced that Epubor Ultimate can remove DRM from Kindle KFX directly. Any of you have tried it? How does it work?
Hmm, they probably used the code available at Harper's GitHub which hasn't been incorporated into Alf's tools yet. I'd rather wait. And even then, I'll probably just keep avoiding kfx.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #264
cbedgar
cbedgar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App on MacBook & iPhone
Epubor Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRR View Post
I just happened upon a web site for Epubor software that says it will... Anyone familiar with it?
Yes, I have purchased their software, and I have mixed feelings about it. They somewhat overstate their ability, and they have totally ripped off Calibre by ignoring the GNU GPL v3 license and not sharing their source code. On the other hand, they do provide a turnkey application that can convert eBooks, including Amazon Kindle eBooks, stripping the DRM in the process. Their technical support is very helpful and responsive, and they make continual improvements to their software. If they were to comply with the open source license and share their source code, I would be a much more enthusiastic supporter.

Yes, the "Ultimate" app generally removes DRM and converts eBooks. Using it, I was about to convert 90%+ of my Kindle eBooks to ePub, mobi, amz3, and/or pdf. It seems to work with Adobe Digital Editions, but I have read that Adobe is introducing a new stronger DRM. Ultimate does NOT work with Apple's DRM.

Ultimate often requires a "clean" set of Kindle files, and this may mean creating a new Kindle content directory and re-downloading everything from Amazon. I created a new user account on my computer in order to make sure I had clean files. I kept my existing Kindle content in my main user account as is.

Ultimate has limited options. I suppose this makes it easier to use. You can configure the location of the source and destination directories and the language for the UI. You can set the output format as listed above. Otherwise you drag the eBook from the "Kindle" pane to the convert window and just press the big convert button. What was a directory full of KFX files is now a single file in a format that works with Calibre.

The files are (generally) named based on the title of the eBook. The converted formatting varies by title and destination format, and is often degraded. All resulting output files are dumped in the output directory. During the first run, Ultimate creates several new directories and a log file in the user's home directory; the is no option about where to put these files. It seems to install a Calibre 2.85.1 build that does not seem to interfere with Calibre 3.x.

Bottom line: Yes, I have used it. Yes, it works. Yes, they support their software very well. But based on their abuse of Calibre's GCC license, and their overstated claims of "no loss of quality", my recommendation is rather tepid.
cbedgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #265
jangell2
Addict

Earlier I had posted about downloading books from Kindle using the USB method didn't always work for me. Most books downloaded ok, but a few downloaded with no extension and couldn't be imported into Calibre. It was suggested I try Chrome and that fixed the problem. All books downloaded with no problem.

Except for one little issue. When a user downloads using this method, he is presented with a dropdown box to select the device. For me, my Kindle Fire is always the first option, but usually I'd select my PW. When I failed to do that and the Fire option was used, Calibre couldn't convert the book because of DRM. I would then download the book again using the PW selection. This version Calibre could convert.

I convert all my books even if they are in the format I want because I want to include the metadata in the book.

This is probably old news to some of you, but thought I'd post it for those that don't already know about this.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #266
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangell2 View Post
Except for one little issue. When a user downloads using this method, he is presented with a dropdown box to select the device. For me, my Kindle Fire is always the first option, but usually I'd select my PW. When I failed to do that and the Fire option was used, Calibre couldn't convert the book because of DRM. I would then download the book again using the PW selection. This version Calibre could convert.
If you make your PW the default device, it will appear first in the list.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #267
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I've installed K4PC at my W10, and I haven't touched test_renderer.exe (I came from 1.17). The books are downloading inside its own directory but with azw format. I can read them in calibre. And I'm not aware of having done anything special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Glad I'm not the only one with magical KFX-blocking powers Just wish we could figure out what we're doing to make it happen, so we can share it with everyone else!
Same here. I installed K4PC 1.21 and updated all my previous purchases (where updates were available) with the express intent of finding a kfx book to experiment with. I've not found one yet -- and I'm trying to!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #268
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Same here. I installed K4PC 1.21 and updated all my previous purchases (where updates were available) with the express intent of finding a kfx book to experiment with. I've not found one yet -- and I'm trying to!
That is odd. Almost all of my books are delivered to K4PC version 1.21 in KFX format.

If you are familiar with regedit in Windows you can open "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Amazon\Kindle\User Settings" and check the value of the key "isKRFDRendererSupported". The value should be "true" if the program has found that your PC is capable of supporting KFX.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #269
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
That is odd. Almost all of my books are delivered to K4PC version 1.21 in KFX format.

If you are familiar with regedit in Windows you can open "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Amazon\Kindle\User Settings" and check the value of the key "isKRFDRendererSupported". The value should be "true" if the program has found that your PC is capable of supporting KFX.
It's set to false. I'm guessing it's because it's a virtual machine (Windows 7 guest on a Linux host).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #270
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's set to false. I'm guessing it's because it's a virtual machine (Windows 7 guest on a Linux host).
I believe that value is set when K4PC launches and checked each time a book is downloaded. So if you launch the program, use regedit to set it true, and then download a book you should get KFX format.

(It is an odd implementation. If the value is set to false then K4PC pretends to be an older build of the software when it requests the book from the server so that it doesn't get KFX.)

Last edited by jhowell; 11-12-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc