Notices

Old 06-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
kgjones
kgjones began at the beginning.

Device: None
Trying to Upload my Ebook to KDP

kgjones

Device: None
Hi there, I am trying to upload my ebook to KDP and every time I try to upload it in every different format (because ppl seem to be arguing what is the best/only format to use). Every time I get to the point of uploading the book it keeps saying

"We encountered a problem while processing your file. This error is common with MOBI files created by unauthorised Amazon conversion tools. Please upload your book in a different format or use one of our supported conversion tools. Refer to our formatting guide for more information"

I have used calibre and followed online instructions and YouTube videos but I keep getting the same message at every upload. I am a total technophobe and once the jargon starts I am lost, it was advertised as really simple and until this point it was!!!
I am lost and don't have the luxury of money to spend on this hence the ebook. I have spent 5 years righting my saga and another hurdle is killing me!!!!

Can anyone who has encountered this or knows the resolution please advise in lamens terms. I would be eternally grateful

Kevin
kgjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgjones View Post
(because ppl seem to be arguing what is the best/only format to use)
There is no such thing as the "best" or "only" format to use when producing an ebook. Each and every reader (hardware or software, doesn't matter) has different requirements and implementations of the various file format standards. This is not just a case of differing versions, this is more like the "browser wars" of a decade ago - when IE, Firefox, Opera, etc all had different standards which required custom programming to satisfy the needs for each. As a generalization, and vast over-simplification, EPUB and MOBI will probably meet most of your reader's needs, but that will not satisfy all of them. Even if it does there are vast differences between what two different readers will display just in those two formats. The K.I.S.S. rule applies. Not because "you can't do that" (which is true enough) but because otherwise you're going to lose your mind trying to find the "perfect" display - which is absolutely impossible. Almost everything you do will break on someone else's reader. Honest. There are lots of authors who've gone through this same issue and they've all simplified their expectations. Ebooks are reflowable - exact layout/display is impossible.

I cannot comment on the rest of the issues as I've never tried KDP. But I think the message you're seeing is vaguely familiar. More than likely the problem is the use of a certain keyword/mark-up that isn't supported. Hopefully some other user will stop by and give you a better/more direct answer to your problem with KDP.

In the meantime, you might want to search the forum for other topics with "publish" and "KDP" within the message. This might shed some light on the issue and make you aware of any others.

Edit: For instance, take a look at this topic: Using Calibre to format Kindle books

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 06-05-2014 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Added link.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgjones View Post
kgjones

Kevin
Welcome to Mobileread.

Moderator Notice
Moved posts to their own thread. Please do not post off-topic questions to an existing thread. When in doubt start a new thread for your question.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You may have better luck saving the book as an epub and uploading that.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't try to upload a Mobi book created with Calibre to KDP. The only tool it supports is the official KindleGen tool. Calibre is great for Mobi files for personal use, but not for KDP.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2015, 08:07 AM   #6
Miles Allen
Miles Allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've just overcome this problem. It took their technical team to give me the answer. Apparently, after trying all kinds of formats, using different computers it was, unexpectedly, the cover that was causing the problem - go figure! It said it had been uploaded successfully, and it was in the required format. But I reloaded it as instructed and hey-presto - the main file then uploaded!

So something weird at their end.

Maybe it'll work a try for you.
Miles Allen is offline   Reply With Quote