Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-20-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Reading Canadian newspapers/magazines on Kindle?

I think more and more about getting myself the Kindle Wi-Fi. But what about reading Canadian magazines or newspapers, is that possible?
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
MichelRenaud
Connoisseur
MichelRenaud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Note: I haven't tried any of these (yet):

Newspapers: http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...d_i=2223466011

Just browsing quickly, I haven't seen any Canadian magazines, by I may just have missed one. By going to Amazon.com and then selecting Kindle Store, you can browse all that stuff and get a good idea of what's available.
MichelRenaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
I think more and more about getting myself the Kindle Wi-Fi. But what about reading Canadian magazines or newspapers, is that possible?
What about looking at the newspaper feeds available through Calibre? I have just counted 23 different Canadian (English) newspaper feeds from the Calgary Herald to the Winnipeg Sun, these feeds are usually displayed very nicely on the kindle and navigation is pretty straightforward.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
slieveen
slieveen began at the beginning.

Device: JuliusvonJD
I use calibre to automatically download at 6:00 AM each morning my Ottawa Citizen, National Post, Dilbert comic strip, and TMZ newsfeed. Once a week it downloads Wired and Macleans Magazines ...... all free, and all automatically transferred to my K3 via wireless before I'm out of the shower.

Pre-written scripts exist to allow one-click setup for the Vancouver Sun, Vancouver Province and the Victoria Times Columnist. Of course you can download just about any world-wide publication like The Economist, NYTimes, etc.

I am a staunch proponent of using Calibre to manage your ebook collection on your PC while transferring a limited number of books to the Kindle. None of the truly portable mobile ereaders are particularly good at managing larger collections. I have 3000 mobi formatted ebooks in my desktop calibre library but only keep about thirty novels, twenty humor books, twenty non-fiction, and ten reference books on my Kindle.
slieveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
As mentioned above, Calibre makes this pretty straightforward. And I can't imagine not having Calibre to manage my eBook collection. It's So much better than having everything dumped onto the Kindle.

Unfortunately, I find reading newspapers on the small format of the Kindle to be less than compelling. On a DX it would be much better. But YMMV.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Not so familiar with Caliber how it works

Totally new to this, apparently I have Caliber installed on my iMac. But where to go from there? Yes I found some newspapers (free? don't you have to subscribe monthly?) but then what? It is possible to send them to my iPhone or later my Kindle, or doesn't it matter what ebook reader device you have? Sorry all those questions, I guess I could play that demo again but that one just annoys the heck out of me....

Oh I figured it out already. But now I want ebook reading device in color, :-) !!

Last edited by bcgirl; 03-22-2011 at 11:44 AM.
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote