Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
sherrymac
sherrymac began at the beginning.

Device: something that will work in Canada!
Favourite e-reader and why?

Now that the Kindle is finally available here in Canada I`m ready to make a purcahse. But, first, thought I`d check with everyone to see what device is a favourite. Kindle or Sony reader 505. Who has the best selection of books?
Can a kindle be used to download a book from another site, besides Amazon?.
I believe that the Sony can be used for everything - is that correct?

Thanks for any and all help.
sherrymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you do not live in the US, the Kindle has an extremely poor range of books available. Try to buy a book by pretty much any popular author you may care to name, and you get "not available outside the USA".

Now, if US regional restrictions do not apply to Canada, that may not apply to you, of course. You will know if that is true better than I do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Windows Mobile 5.0-6.5 PDA w/ 3.2" screen or larger. It actually can do everything[1] (except bright sunlight). Since they have replacable batteries, you have effectively unlimited operating time. Mine's a Dell X51 (3.5" screen), with two batteries.

[everything = everything a small computer can do, not just read books]

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymac View Post
Now that the Kindle is finally available here in Canada I`m ready to make a purcahse. But, first, thought I`d check with everyone to see what device is a favourite. Kindle or Sony reader 505. Who has the best selection of books?

I posted a similar question too, had the Sony 505 in my mind and yesterday I was thrown off because of the Kindle in Canada. I will follow the topic here with you. Have one question though; does it matter if you have Mac? Does that make a difference if you want a Kindle or Sony?
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No - both the Kindle and the Mac can be used equally well with Mac and Windows.
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
Windows Mobile 5.0-6.5 PDA w/ 3.2" screen or larger. It actually can do everything[1] (except bright sunlight). Since they have replacable batteries, you have effectively unlimited operating time. Mine's a Dell X51 (3.5" screen), with two batteries.

[everything = everything a small computer can do, not just read books]

Regards,
Jack Tingle
I'd say you've the wrong PDA if it can't handle bright sunlight... Mine does, perfectly. The only problem with mine is, that it is Windows Mobile 2003 SE, which means it will lose everything when the battery is dead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No - both the Kindle and the Mac can be used equally well with Mac and Windows.
The Mac can be used equally well with Mac and Windows????
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I'd say you've the wrong PDA if it can't handle bright sunlight... Mine does, perfectly. The only problem with mine is, that it is Windows Mobile 2003 SE, which means it will lose everything when the battery is dead...
I can turn the backlight up to 11 and read for a very short time in bright sunlight. That way lies madness. I bought a jetBook for that, instead.

I actually have an old HP iPAQ1945 that runs 2003, and in some ways it's a better device than the WM5 X51 (for example, Bluetooth). In others (for example, durability), the X51 is superior. Same sized screen on both. The 1945's keys are worn down to nubs, and the X51 has a spiky digitizer and poor D-pad reliability. The 1945 also uses battery power at about twice the rate the X51 does. I tend to wear PDAs out. I work in a century old factory, and I use them continuously during the day for many tasks. Not exactly their design duty cycle.

In truth, if it hadn't worn out and gone completely obsolete, I'd still be using my Compaq Aero 1550 Pocket PC, which was easily readable in sunlight, without the backlight on. That's one reason the jetBook was attractive; I knew the screen would work for me, since it's the same kind of technology.

For the moment, I'm using a Samsung SCH-i760 smartphone. Time will tell if that's a good choice for me.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The Mac can be used equally well with Mac and Windows????
Think he meant the Sony can be used equally well with Mac and Windows.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
I really like my DR1000S. It's great for reading PDFs and even for regular ebooks as you get a lot more text per page. I've put my Iliad in the closet and just use the DR. Of course I do almost all my reading at home so the large size isn't a huge issue. I also liked my Iliad, but I'm not using it much any more. I also love the fact that they're open and not tied to a specific vendor like the Kindle is.

Just my $0.02
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:30 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymac View Post

Go for Sony.
Very pleasant reading experience. Feels very nice in your hands. No awkward hardware keyboard to remind you all the time that you don't read a book but holding a gadget etc. No wireless, no access to the Internet = no distractions plus no unexpected/unwanted intrusions into your reader from Amazon, you are in control, you decide whether you want the latest firmware upgrade or not, whether you want to have a particular ebook on your reader or not.
Maybe you want to consider 600 over 505. I don't know. Depends on your taste and needs. I prefer 505.

Last edited by astra; 11-19-2009 at 05:32 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I can turn the backlight up to 11 and read for a very short time in bright sunlight. That way lies madness. I bought a jetBook for that, instead.
And that, my friends, is the difference between a good backlit screen and a decent backlit screen

I was thinking about buying a new PDA (as Fujitsu Siemens doesn't make them anymore, I was looking at a HP), with a transflective screen (= backlit, easily readable in sunlight with the light turned off), but decided against it, as my Loox is still working perfectly... (640x480, colour, transflective screen, awesome quality, though only 3.4"!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Think he meant the Sony can be used equally well with Mac and Windows.
I know, but I still found it funny
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
If you do not live in the US, the Kindle has an extremely poor range of books available. Try to buy a book by pretty much any popular author you may care to name, and you get "not available outside the USA".

Now, if US regional restrictions do not apply to Canada, that may not apply to you, of course. You will know if that is true better than I do.
Have you tried searching recently? Recently, almost all books I've looked for, that existed in a Kindle edition, I could get. The range of books are far from 'extremely poor' in my estimation.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I prefer my Hanlin V3 (Bebook, Astak) running open inkpot. But I'm an old crank who doesn't want wireless.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Have you tried searching recently? Recently, almost all books I've looked for, that existed in a Kindle edition, I could get. The range of books are far from 'extremely poor' in my estimation.
I guess I must have been unlucky, then. Terry Pratchett, Stephen King, Dan Brown - none of them available, to name but three authors I've tried.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I guess I must have been unlucky, then. Terry Pratchett, Stephen King, Dan Brown - none of them available, to name but three authors I've tried.
I think it is the first time I hear frustration from you, HarryT. You actually have feelings similar to an average Joe ebook reader
You always sound like: Why do you care? There are so many free classics out there. Why don't you read them instead of hunting for books you cannot buy? etc. You never really worded it like that but that was my impression of reading between lines of your posts.
Please, don't get me wrong, I am not gloating or anything, but I am surprised.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote