Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I wonder what subset of "Not everybody is comfortable with lying in order to buy books" agree to the EULA on the ebook stores, and than ignore them.
I know I do. I share with family. That's against the EULA. And I will country hop in order to buy books I cannot get locally.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:54 AM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've no idea. All I do know is that a number of people have said, in previous threads of this nature, that they don't wish to falsify information when they buy books. It doesn't bother me personally, but it clearly is an issue for some people.
Maybe they "don't wish to", or are "uncomfortable", but actually do lie? I believe there were a number of people who said they normally didn't want to "lie", but they were willing to make exceptions for geo-restrictions.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #33
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just go to Kobo and go shopping in a different country. Problem solved.
Does this really work if in US? I have heard of people trying to do the same with Amazon but knows where you really are (IP) and doesn't work as I understand.
I don't think I would have a problem doing this as at least author/publisher gets paid. I have
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #34
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
If the A-holes controlling a book don't want me to buy it, why should I go out of my way? Should I care if the author gets paid in this situation?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
If the A-holes controlling a book don't want me to buy it, why should I go out of my way? Should I care if the author gets paid in this situation?
Let's say you are reading a series and the book you last read ends on a cliffhanger and the next book is not available for you to buy. Would you wait and hope it becomes available or would you country hop and buy it?
Advert
Old 02-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
Does this really work if in US? I have heard of people trying to do the same with Amazon but knows where you really are (IP) and doesn't work as I understand.
I don't think I would have a problem doing this as at least author/publisher gets paid. I have
I have two accounts at Amazon. One in the US and one in the UK and I can buy from either.

With Kobo, I can switch countries and buy the book I want.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #37
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have two accounts at Amazon. One in the US and one in the UK and I can buy from either.

I thought to have a UK account required UK address? I could be wrong I guess?
Old 02-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I thought to have a UK account required UK address? I could be wrong I guess?
Do you know how easy it is to find a UK address online? Very. But the address I am using belongs to a relative.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #39
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not everybody is comfortable with lying in order to buy books, Jon.
You are of course correct. And such people either don't do it or hold their nose and go ahead. Few if any of us live up to our moral codes perfectly. This was actually discussed exhaustively in the EU piracy thread. The situation, at least for Amazon, appears to be that there is often no lie involved in circumventing geo-restrictions.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #40
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I find it really frustrating to finish British series because they randomly get taken from sale and then returned. Cynthia Harrod-Eagles' two series, Bill Slider and Morland Dynasty are examples. I finally have all of the Moreland Dynasty (historical series). Decided not to wait when they became available, which was good because some are now gone again. I could get the audiobook for the latest Bill Slider, but can't get the ebook. I gave up with others though. You'd think publishers would get it that they would sell more if the stuff were available.

On the plus side, the Morland Dynasty appears to be complete. She hasn't added a new book for 5 years.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-08-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:50 PM   #41
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

I do too and have never had a problem buying from either.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:31 PM   #42
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I know I do. I share with family. That's against the EULA. And I will country hop in order to buy books I cannot get locally.
I can only speak of Amazon USA on this issue but I have called them and discussed this and other issues with them. I live in a rural area and I don't have a car so I depend on them and don't want to hurt my relationship with them.

I asked their customer service people if they have any concerns about my having a spare Kindle to loan books to my neighbors in my retirement home. The answer was that they simply don't care. I've called about this one about every year or two just to be safe and the answer is the same.

I backup my books and, unless it's a book with X-Ray and a LOT of characters I'll upload the unprotected copy and download it as a doc. Nearly all these were bought from Amazon. I've asked about this twice and both times I've asked them to check with supervisors to be sure and both times I've been told that there's no problem.

I think much of what's in Amazon's TOS is about protecting themselves from abuse, not about keeping us from doing the things honest people normally do.

That said, once before Audible was bought out by Amazon I said something about removing DRM from my audiobooks so I could listen on non-Audible ready devices. These were books I bought from Audible. I received a message from their lawyer saying that if I want to continue as a customer and a forum member I'd have to sign an agreement not to discuss that on the forum again. I signed it and that was that. They never asked me to agree to stop removing DRM. Just not to mention it.

Since I've been reading Kindle books I haven't done any Audible DRM removal so I don't know if being part of Amazon has changed how they feel about that or not.

Anyway my point is that to Amazon much of their TOS seems to be more a legal document in case they need it than something they're really interested in enforcing.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #43
TheSmitty
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I do too and have never had a problem buying from either.
Apache
And you can just use your regular credit card?
Old 02-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #44
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
And you can just use your regular credit card?
I think that Amazon's efforts to enforce Geo-restrictions have varied over the years. At one time they validated the billing address of the credit card with the address claimed. It seems that Amazon has greatly relaxed their validation efforts in recent years. I have a friend in the UK that I buy through. I use a re-loadable visa gift card for that.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes, it does work. I have done it from the US.