Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-15-2017, 05:25 AM   #226
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Here is another short video for those of you, who wanted to see how text editing on Max2 works. I used Textmaker Mobile Free. It works just fine. Same experience with the WPS Office ( I did try it but didn't record a video of it)
That looks fantastic Booxtor, it certainly does look faster than past devices.

Have you met the issue of the device stopping responding while writing - or, on another angle, do we need to implement wake-locks to force the device to be fully alert when using this type of interactive software (typing etc.), or did Onyx improve the firmware to recognize these cases?

Of course, whether the answer is in one direction or the other, the important thing is that a way exists to patch it.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot! It's nice that you use TextMaker, I also think it is a remarkable piece of software. But on the MaxCarta the feature to load documents on TextMaker was broken. Since we could not see it, as you started a new text document from scratch in the video: I suppose the "load document" works, now on Android 6?

Last edited by mdp; 12-15-2017 at 05:39 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:28 AM   #227
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Of course, whether the answer is in one direction or the other, the important thing is that a way exists to patch it.
Which, by the way, suggests a different topic: is USB On-the-Go now something that can be enabled from the settings interface (if not always available), or should the feature be enabled through some "hacking"?

It is a hot topic after the lack of the SD-card.
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 08:27 AM   #228
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Quote:
Yes, of course you can connect a USB cable and transfer files! Linux, Windows (surely, though I don't know by experience), others - natively, no strange additions needed.

It mounts two external drives (two, if you have an SD-card). Of course, you can also use `adb push|pull` (etc.).

I find it scary and creepy that on other systems, you write, it would not work that way...
I have some first hand experience with the way the reMarkable handles file transfers, and I've read a little on how the Sony RP1 works.

On the reMarkable, the files as presented on the UI (either PDF documents, or epub documents, or "notebook" documents that are created from writing on blank pages through the device's software) are not directly the same as on the filesystem - there's a single directory on the filesystem, with several files per document that describe both the contents and the abstract filesystem that the UI shows. It's transparent enough, but it also means just copying your PDF files by mounting the device as an external drive wouldn't work. The default file transfer utility goes through a specific cloud service, which is accessed by proprietary aplications; fortunately, there's also an alternative way to do it, via a Web interface: in practice, it works pretty well to just connect the device to a USB port and use the Web interface in a browser. Not as simple as it might be, but I can work with it, and more importantly, I can work with it on any of my computers (they happen to all have USB ports available).

On the Sony, from what I understand (and I admit I haven't any first hand experience with the device), you have to use the proprietary application to transfer files, and no alternative is provided. If you don't want to, or cannot, use this application (it doesn't exist for a Linux machine, for example), then you're out of luck, unless you "jailbreak" the device.

On the more classical e-reader that I have access (from Kobo), ebook transfer can be done through the dedicated application, or by downloading them directly from the Kobo store when you buy there, but Calibre also works with it pretty fine, so I never had to look any further. I understand that this is share by most "standard" e-readers - but then, these large-screen devices are not "standard" to me.

So, my question was asked to understand where the Boox devices stand on this. The answer is very reassuring to me, but I wouldn't want to buy one and then discover that I couldn't use it the way I need it to work. If I decide to buy one, it's with professional use in mind, and at work I only use Linux machines (Windows is at home only, and mostly dedicated to games). I could live with transfering ebooks only through my Windows machine when it's just books I read for pleasure; I don't want to have to go through the same kind of hassle for everyday work.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #229
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
On the reMarkable, ... not directly the same as on the filesystem
On the Sony, ... you have to use the proprietary application to transfer files, and no alternative is provided. [they must pay in blood]
On the more classical e-reader that I have access (from Kobo), ebook transfer can be done through the dedicated application, or by downloading them directly from the Kobo store when you buy there, but Calibre also works with it pretty fine [So why the applications? Are you talking of a direct USB connection?], so I never had to look any further. I understand that this is share by most "standard" e-readers -
The monstrosities they propose today: creepy, ghastly, scary, despair, cringe, a silence full of horror.
I hope I will never come in contact to any such abomination in my life - not if they came with a million in your favourite currency.

EDIT: ok, as an afterthought I concede - maybe as a lent device to read Lovecraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
So, my question was asked to understand where the Boox devices stand on this. The answer is very reassuring to me, but I wouldn't want to buy one and then discover that I couldn't use it the way I need it to work. If I decide to buy one, it's with professional use in mind, and at work I only use Linux machines (Windows is at home only, and mostly dedicated to games). I could live with transfering ebooks only through my Windows machine when it's just books I read for pleasure [not even, please]; I don't want to have to go through the same kind of hassle for everyday work.
I fancy to be pretty much an extremist - be reassured.

EDIT: and with this 500th post, I see I become a "fanatic". See?

Last edited by mdp; 12-15-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #230
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
EDIT: and with this 500th post, I see I become a "fanatic". See?
I see

I am not as strict as you are. I understand why e-reader manufacturers provide their own apps - as a "nicer" UI to the functionalities of their readers, and also, for those who have their own stores, as a way to make it slightly easier to buy books through their own channel than through others. As long as they don't try to force me to use them (i.e., make it purposefully hard to use the device one's own way), I have no real problem with it.

The way the reMarkable works is also OK to me - it is not actively trying to obfuscate things for the user who wants to have a look at it.

Of course, it's always better (in my view) if everything is open, but that's also how you make it easy for the user to "break" something.
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 11:07 AM   #231
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I see an "overlapping windows" icon between "arrows switch", "mode switch" and the menu icon: could it be the "recent tasks"?
Booxtor, I remembered (having just mentioned something relevant in a parallel thread):
in the new interface it is visible:
clock | arrows switch | EPD mode switch | MYSTERY | menu

Is that "mystery", guessing from the icon, the "Recent tasks"?
Old 12-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #232
MaxT
MaxT began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max
I wonder if somebody can confirm that the standby time for ONYX BOOX MAX2 Professional is weeks and not hours without turning the machine off.
MaxT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #233
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxT View Post
I wonder if somebody can confirm that the standby time for ONYX BOOX MAX2 Professional is weeks and not hours without turning the machine off.
Good policy has been to set the shut-down-after-xx-mins-idle on all past devices.

Last edited by mdp; 12-17-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #234
MaxT

I bought a Lenova Yoga book a year ago. Great machine to write on but it hade a problem with sleep mode that resulted in that it took almost 20 seconds to start. Due to this I have not used it to write on for months. A pen and paper takes a few seconds to pick up and that is what I am looking for in a digital notebook.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:03 AM   #235
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
all hardware stuff well done, but what about the embedded app, like epub reader, dictionary, lemmitization, support service reading process like evernote ou wiki etc...
Has anyone get in-hand device , not the draft?
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #236
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lems1995 View Post
Has anyone get in-hand device , not the draft?
We are waiting to receive it around the 27th, lems.
Currently, Booxtor has one, and many other people but in more distant channels (China etc,). As soon as we get the first batch, we will provide all the info we can.

One note: (although as you probably remember I never used the embedded apps because I already have my favourites), I was impressed by the extensive features Onyx added to its pdf reader, as seen in Booxtor's video. This is a good sign, n'est-ce pas? They are certainly also working to improve software.

Also for what concerns MaxT, I would certainly let him know how long does it take to turn the device on, although for his intended utilization the real solution is more radical (disable all those services that may drain battery while in standby). Some devices (e.g. from Samsung etc.) are miraculous in conserving battery when in standby (not off, not idle), some other do consume a bit of charge.

Last edited by mdp; 12-18-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #237
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
Quote:
We are waiting to receive it around the 27th, lems.
Currently, Booxtor has one, and many other people but in more distant channels (China etc,). As soon as we get the first batch, we will provide all the info we can.

One note: (although as you probably remember I never used the embedded apps because I already have my favourites), I was impressed by the extensive features Onyx added to its pdf reader, as seen in Booxtor's video. This is a good sign, n'est-ce pas? They are certainly also working to improve software.

Also for what concerns MaxT, I would certainly let him know how long does it take to turn the device on, although for his intended utilization the real solution is more radical (disable all those services that may drain battery while in standby). Some devices (e.g. from Samsung etc.) are miraculous in conserving battery when in standby (not off, not idle), some other do consume a bit of charge.
Many thanks, i have Max Carta device for 6 months yet; i have no problems with battery, i charge it about every 2 weeks, it's good enought for me! but i have a lot issues with non-finished software, it's so bad with this device!, i hope OB will fix that in next releases.
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:24 AM   #238
MaxT

When I read about Boox Max2 battery life seems to be a big problem. I really hope this is wrong since I need it to last at least a day with Wifi turned on. Info found at https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5464391262...device=1&pn=0&
Old 12-19-2017, 02:17 AM   #239
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxT View Post
I need it to last at least a day with Wifi turned on.
That is not a trivial endavour.
(But, as written, maybe disabling most of the rest... You would have to get your hands dirty technically. But then again, there will probably be more pages on the web about "How to improve Android's battery life" than).

Not a trivial endavour also because - specified for the rest - the chief recipe for long battery life is "turn all the radios off".

Consider your tradeoffs in theory before you pick your device model. Maybe you are one of those who are better off with the slower devices. But this requires anyway data: "With the device X, with changes Z we achieved results Y".

Last edited by mdp; 12-19-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:50 AM   #240
Philippe D.
Addict

That will of course depend a lot on the use case, but it seems to me that battery life when the wifi is turned on only occasionally (i.e., when needed) is much more significant. How easy is it to turn it on or off ? (meaning, do you have to look for the right place in the right menu, or do you have a one-tap way of doing it)

Of course, if the device is used mostly to browse the internet, the wifi will have to be on, and there isn't much one can do about it. A bigger battery would most likely impact the device's weight, and this is also an important point - I don't think you can win on all counts.