Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
First $50 eReader Hits the Market

The $50 price is after a $20, mail-in rebate, but still, this seems like a new threshold.

http://www.mediabistro.com/ebooknews...-market_b11714
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
nah, they're clearing out an old model. The threshold will be crossed when a reader is introduced at that price.

Kobo wireless were available for 40 bucks at closing Borders and Literatis were cleared out at 40 (down to 12 with clever couponing and rebates).

It's a heck of a deal on a well-regarded machine, but not any kind of milestone.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Zatakawa
Enthusiast
Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I can live without WiFi, 3G, missing EPUB support, bad software or a 200 MB storage. After all, i want to read. But i find a 5" device too small.
Still, $50 for an e-reader is great. That's €35 here in Europe.
Zatakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatakawa View Post
I can live without WiFi, 3G, missing EPUB support, bad software or a 200 MB storage. After all, i want to read. But i find a 5" device too small.
Still, $50 for an e-reader is great. That's €35 here in Europe.
The Libre Pro supports EPUB. I have a variety of ereaders and the Aluratek Libre Pro is my favorite.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
The threshold will be crossed when a reader is introduced at that price.
Agreed. Granted, it's still nice to see prices dropping this low (even if the dreaded rebate is involved).
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisanthropic View Post
Agreed. Granted, it's still nice to see prices dropping this low (even if the dreaded rebate is involved).
If buying it involves paying $70, jumping through a bunch of hoops, including providing information, waiting some period of time, then maybe getting a check for $20, which then needs to be deposited, the price is NOT $50. Not even close for me.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Today's clearance is tomorrow's list price.

Give it time.
The Libre being a well-regarded reader, it clearing out at $50 is a reflection of the downwards price pressure from the Kobo WiFi and KindleSO. All good omens.

If I had to bet, I'd look to the Jetbook mini as the first reader to hit $50 as its non-sale price.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I know it's a reader....But it's not E-ink. And it's on sale too.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
It's a good reader for the masses. I still own a Jetbook and I liked it a lot. I liked not having the screenflash and there was no eyestrain with the non backlit LCD screen. Still you get what you pay for and I don't think I would ever want to buy a $50 e-reader. But for those of us who can't afford $150 electronics it's a nice way to get your foot in the door.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The Libre Pro seemed like a steal when Newegg had it on sale Thanksgiving weekend, 2009, for $135. A year and a half later, it's $50.

I disagree with the author's view that the Libre has better firmware than the jetBook, but to each his own.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm glad to see prices dropping. I'd love to see e-readers become mass consumer items.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #12
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I don't think this is a big event. When models are released at $50, that will be a big event!
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #13
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
I'm glad to see prices dropping. I'd love to see e-readers become mass consumer items.
L.J.
I agree. Once one hits the market and is THAT inexpensive, ereaders will fly off the shelves.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Aladyleyna
Zealot
Aladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notesAladyleyna can name that song in three notes

Device: iPad 1
Wow, if I could find an ereader like that in my country at the same price, I think I'll just buy it right on the spot! It's really very cheap for a reader, and it accepts all book formats too.
Aladyleyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Still you get what you pay for and I don't think I would ever want to buy a $50 e-reader. But for those of us who can't afford $150 electronics it's a nice way to get your foot in the door.
Price is a function of time. 3 1/2 years ago, you might have said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Still you get what you pay for and I don't think I would ever want to buy a $150 e-reader. But for those of us who can't afford $400 electronics it's a nice way to get your foot in the door.
But now a much improved version of that $400 Kindle costs $140, $115 with adware.

Rest assured, there will be $50 MSRP e-ink readers that make Kindle 3s and PRS-650s and Nook 2s and what have you look like stone tablets.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-reader, e-reader cheap deal