Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2017, 05:02 AM   #61
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
When you began this thread you wanted publicity so much that you were prepared to pay a great deal of money for a billboard to advertise your books. It has been pointed out that you need to create a good online presence first, and this includes your website.

It's clear that you have strong religious opinions, if you wish to express these, do it elsewhere. NOT on the same website as the one where you are advertising your books.

If you go ahead with the billboard, will it be all book related, or will part of the design include Christian preaching? Or pictures of cats? (I've nothing against the latter, and pictures of cute pusscats would draw attention - but not to your books.)

You need a strictly business website where the About Me is about you AS AN AUTHOR; in other words how long you've been writing, the type of books you write (avoid talking about the religious ones), and very basic bio eg. I am married with two children, or whatever.

Personal websites became unfashionable with the growth of networking sites like Facebook (where you should have a big presence and not for your beliefs) but if you want to have one, have it totally separate from your books. Then you can talk as much as you want about religion and cats etc. I would suggest you don't include your author name on it, keep it just for family and friends.

Doubtless you'll ignore this and all the other advice which has been given.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #62
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
If an author is trying to sell primarily to people whose views are similar to his/hers, then posting their personal opinions on the same site as the products makes sense.

Otherwise, if I am looking at a website that is selling a product, I don't want to see anything about the author's personal views. If I am shopping for clothes, accessories, etc. on ebay and a seller has posted on their store about their personal life, religion, etc. (yes, I have seen this) I don't buy from that seller.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:47 AM   #63
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Well, now that the winter madness has calmed down, and I'm able to find some sanity in my life again, I am back to pick this up, but only so much as to say that I will be working on revamping my website over the coming month or two, and one idea that was tossed at me which I think is a good one (although I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to pull it off) is to move away from my single sheet "about me" page and move to a more biographical about me section. IE, break it out into an organized and detailed, multi-section page covering who I am, what I like to do, hobbies, beliefs, etc. IE, I plan to pack a LOT into the page, but in a way that's not like a fire hose to someone's brain while reading. I know that was a critique that some of you mentioned. IE, not enough about me, and too much about my beliefs.

Of course, as 4691mls pointed out, given the audience I'm targeting, having the kind of "about me" page I have isn't a bad thing. But then again, having a LOT more than I do now is better. Plus I need to upgrade that gawd awful 10+ year old photo that's on there. lol. So I am listening to and implementing some of your suggestions you guys gave, even if some of them were offered a little too tersely. But then again I think the kickback I received is more due to many of you seeing what I was doing as destructive to my career as a writer on the broad, blanket, mass mega market of scifi, when in reality I'm a lot more targeted in my audience. I already figured out that my books don't appeal to the market as a whole, but they do when it comes to narrower, more focused markets. That doesn't mean I can't try to push my boundaries and draw in those who wouldn't normally read my type of fiction, but at the same time, if I don't I'm not too worried.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:03 AM   #64
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I checked out your current site, Steven. I don't know whether this suggestion would make your brain explode or not, but if it were me...I'd have two sites.

One site of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy stuff and another of the Faith based novels (not saying there can't be overlap!).

I suggest this because either of the two audiences may be turned off by the other (I certainly would - as unfair as that is).

The other suggestion I would make is to ensure you've got your picky web master hat on when you make blog posts - especially about exciting stuff about your new books (I'm not jealous. I'm not...oh, wait. Yes, I am). e.g. for your blog post about Dragon's Gambit launch, you link to the series, which I click on. Which takes me to three book covers. When I click on the picture of Dragon's Gambit, I get taken to a big page of all your books (where I get even more jealous, but still can't find your new book). Finally, after finding Dragon's Gambit in the sea of book covers, I get taken to the page where I can buy/download. Less clicks! I beg of you. If you've made the blog post before the book is available...then edit it when the book is available.

I used to do websites for a living and I can tell you that the general website visitor has the attention span of a gnat*. So don't make it hard for them (me).

* I apologise if any gnats are offended.
skb is offline   Reply With Quote