Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
Bart33k
Bart33k began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO HD
How to install koreader on KOBO GLO HD ?

Hello.
In the first place let me just clarify that I'm a total noob in mofifying/customizing ebook reader firmware/software. Aside of above I wouldn't have any problems with doing so if i could follow some instructions with links of needed software (which I succesfully achieve with installing custom ROM on my smartphone) .
And here's my ask for help - is there any step-by-step guide how to install koreader on Kobo Glo Hd which i could follow with mentions about what not to do to brick reader? I'm not asking anybody to explain all the procedure here - just a link for a guide if such exists.
Thanks in reply.
P.S.
I found this will that work with GLO GH?
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...n-Kobo-devices

Last edited by Bart33k; 12-11-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Bart33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There is a sticky in this forum, that provides how to install alternative readers, including KOReader. Also note that there is a link there to a preferred method using the Kobo Start Menu, (KSM8).

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-11-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Bart33k

Thank you very much. I'm aware it's a bit complicated matter to explain so I didn't want anyone to explain it here. Just show me direction for alreadt made instructions. And not that I'm lazy to look up for it. Forum is large and for a greenie in a matter like me it would be hard to find appriopriate thread. I look up for that sticky then. So far. I'm charging reader to 100% before doing anything. I'm on 3.18.0 so it should work. If you could would you briefly tell me what's the major differences beetween koreader stable and nigtly versions? And which would be more appriopriate for me if in 99,9% i will use reader for plain reading (no games, no flashy addons and other stuff I'm not even aware of. Just reading.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart33k View Post
Thank you very much. I'm aware it's a bit complicated matter to explain so I didn't want anyone to explain it here. Just show me direction for alreadt made instructions. And not that I'm lazy to look up for it. Forum is large and for a greenie in a matter like me it would be hard to find appriopriate thread. I look up for that sticky then. So far. I'm charging reader to 100% before doing anything. I'm on 3.18.0 so it should work. If you could would you briefly tell me what's the major differences beetween koreader stable and nigtly versions? And which would be more appriopriate for me if in 99,9% i will use reader for plain reading (no games, no flashy addons and other stuff I'm not even aware of. Just reading.
In software under continuing development, it is a good idea to create "Stable" versions, to have starting points for further development. Normally, you try to do so at a point you think you have things running well with the existing features and/or code base. (They are like a saved game.) The nightlys that you see at Github are versions with new features, fixes, updated code. The nightlys are "stable" in that they function as well as the stable in regard to all the features included in the stable release. If the new code does cause any issues, it will be with the new features, not the base functioning.

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
Bart33k

JUst one last question and I'm done.
I'm at point 4 of your guide (as here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=240302)
And I'm stuck at it. I uploaded KSM 8 to my device so where I should copy koreader folder:
- to kobo folder or
- to apps folder
?
P.S.
Above question is because of my translation "ability". I'm not sure how to understand that quote "...Copy the koreader folder from the zip file to the .kobo directory of your kobo. [As of KSM7, copy it to the .adds directory.". Especially that "...As of KSM7, copy it to the .adds directory" part.

Last edited by Bart33k; 12-11-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart33k View Post
JUst one last question and I'm done.
I'm at point 4 of your guide (as here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=240302)
And I'm stuck at it. I uploaded KSM 8 to my device so where I should copy koreader folder:
- to kobo folder or
- to apps folder
?
P.S.
Above question is because of my translation "ability". I'm not sure how to understand that quote "...Copy the koreader folder from the zip file to the .kobo directory of your kobo. [As of KSM7, copy it to the .adds directory.". Especially that "...As of KSM7, copy it to the .adds directory" part.
The KOReader folder should now go in the .adds folder, as mentione here.

It looks like I missed that when I last updated the guide.

luck;
Ken
Old 12-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
Bart33k

Well i noticed as described as this guide that somehow I had whole "koreader" folder wiped from kobo directory by itself. Now I moved it to adds folder. That's clear.
Juzt one more thing
Again I don't know how to fulfill this guide:
For calibre: (Stolen from a Davidfor post)
An alternative way if you are not using nickel is to disable the KoboTouch driver in calibre. Then use "Connect to folder". That will prompt for the folder to treat as a device. You can use any folder on the device. (Including a hidden folder, like .library) Calibre will then scan the folder looking for books. "
Where exactly should I disable that "KoboTouch driver" in Calibre (where is that on/off option located in calibre settings" and where is the option "connect to a folder"?
Please be forgiving as I'm totally new to ereader software. So your pointings are 100% usefull for me.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

calibre is an amazingly adaptive and configurable program. This makes it appear as a very complex thing to work with, but it should be noted that most of the options and complexity will be there for functions and features that others will use. There are only a limited number that will impact your use of the program.

The device "drivers" are at "Preferences>Advanced>Plugins>Device Interface Plugins>(Kobo listings)". At the bottom of that page will be an "Enable/Disable plugin" button.

The "Connect to folder" is under the "Connect/share" icon. Your PC should let you create a hidden folder, on your device or the external uSD card, so that you can select it, and have calibre use that. This is for connecting via USB cable.

You can also, use the Wireless options to connect with calibre and its library. You can select and transfer book files from the calibre library on your PC to your device wirelessly.

Luck;
Ken
Old 12-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #9
Bart33k

God daaamn. Perfect advice Thank you very much sir. Everything went nice and smooth with your explanation. I'm truly thankfull. So far no issues. THANK YOU !!!
Old 12-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #10
kyrusdemnati
kyrusdemnati began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
what the advantage of koreader over stadnard reader?
kyrusdemnati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrusdemnati View Post
what the advantage of koreader over stadnard reader?
The most often mentioned is KOReader's PDF reader.

For many of us, KOReader's use of the Coolreader3 Engine (cr3) that provides the ability to read a larger number of formats (including .pdb [Secure e-reader]).

There is also, the use of standard File Management, instead of Kobo's easily corrupted database Book Management. Doing away with a need for a lengthy processing of the book files.

Edit: I should also point out that the stock Kobo software is still fully functional, with KOReader installed. The KSM8 lets you select between the alternative readers and the stock Kobo User Interface (UI) "Nickel".

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 12-12-2015 at 06:38 PM.