Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
obyrm
obyrm began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2; Formerly:KOA,KV,PW2,CybookHDFL, KoboGlo,Sony-T1-650-600,iLiad
Worth getting Kobo Glo HD for koreader?

I had used Kobo Glo in the past for a few months, and given up on it . I am now a Kindle user. I should admit that Kobo Glo HD has caught my attention. Being a Kobo Glo user in the past who wants to give Kobo an another try I would like to get your opinions on the following

1) Is the firmware still buggy?
2) How easy to install koreader on Kobo Glo HD, as I would like koreader to be the main reader on the Glo HD.
3) Is the screen lighting even? I am not happy with the Kindle Voyage frontlight after a few replacements.
4) Does Kobo firmware gather the highlights in a single text file as Kindle firmware does?

Last edited by obyrm; 06-01-2015 at 11:52 AM.
obyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The support for Kobo Glo HD was just added in the current nightly build. The main attraction for that reader is the 300dpi display, although some like the 6" size. The Voyage that you have seems to be much the same. Have you tried Koreader on your Voyage? I don't have a Kindle, so I am only going by the install description and, to me, it looks like the Kindle install process would be considerably harder than the process to install KSM & Koreader.

Koreader is using Sidecar (.sdr) files, like used with Kindles. Then there is the Evernote Plugin.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
kwokhin
Enthusiast
kwokhin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hello there. I bought Kobo Glo HD as my first ereader. I will just share what I know from using it for the past few days.

1) I don't know whether the firmware is buggy but I don't have any problem with it.

2) I tried to install Koreader yesterday and it was a success without any problem. Just follow the instructions step by step and you will be fine.

3) The screen lighting is even. I don't see fractions of light at the bottom of the screen. You can check on some YouTube videos to see comparisons.

4) I don't know
kwokhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Recent posts in the "Kobo Start Menu 7" thread have been about Glo HD owners having a problem after applying the updates to KSM7. Their touch screen coordinates are not matching the image displayed. Tshering would be very interested in how you may have avoided that problem, for instance whether you applied both updates and in what order or both at once. Also, did you apply the third update, as well? In KSM7 you can go to "Tools"/"ksm diverse.msh"/"show update history.sh", and it should list which updates were installed. It might indicate if one of the updates didn't take.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-03-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote