Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #1036
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I'm not trying to remember something I read before, I'm looking for a historical answer. And neither Google nor Quora have been any help. Here goes:

What was the first (science?) fictional story to suppose that a criminal could be identified, captured, and/or convicted using DNA evidence?
While this doesn't answer your question, you might find some clues in this article from the Science History Institute: "Forensic Chemistry in Golden-Age Detective Fiction: Dorothy L. Sayers and the CSI Effect." As an attorney who deals in cases that have criminal components, I can assure you that the CSI effect is very real, and very damaging, in criminal court.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #1037
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
While this doesn't answer your question, you might find some clues in this article from the Science History Institute: "Forensic Chemistry in Golden-Age Detective Fiction: Dorothy L. Sayers and the CSI Effect." As an attorney who deals in cases that have criminal components, I can assure you that the CSI effect is very real, and very damaging, in criminal court.
This is hilarious. That's actually the article that inspired me to ask the question!
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #1038
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Then thank you both -- that was an interesting article!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:40 AM   #1039
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I'm not trying to remember something I read before, I'm looking for a historical answer. And neither Google nor Quora have been any help. Here goes:

What was the first (science?) fictional story to suppose that a criminal could be identified, captured, and/or convicted using DNA evidence?
Patricia Cornwell's Postmortem was published in 1990,and I believe is generally regarded as the first. At that time, DNA profiling was so new very few people were aware of it but Cornwell was working as a computer analyst at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond, Virginia at the time of the investigation and trial of Timothy Wilson Spencer.

In 1988 Spencer was the first serial killer to be convicted on the basis of DNA evidence and he was executed in 1994. The very first DNA profiling in a criminal case was in Leicester, UK in 1986.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #1040
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
Patricia Cornwell's Postmortem was published in 1990,and I believe is generally regarded as the first. At that time, DNA profiling was so new very few people were aware of it but Cornwell was working as a computer analyst at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond, Virginia at the time of the investigation and trial of Timothy Wilson Spencer.

In 1988 Spencer was the first serial killer to be convicted on the basis of DNA evidence and he was executed in 1994. The very first DNA profiling in a criminal case was in Leicester, UK in 1986.
Interesting, so nothing before 1986? No examples like H.G. Wells predicting the atomic bomb, Arthur C. Clarke predicting geostationary satellites, or Philip K. Dick predicting virtual and augmented reality?
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #1041
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Interesting, so nothing before 1986? No examples like H.G. Wells predicting the atomic bomb, Arthur C. Clarke predicting geostationary satellites, or Philip K. Dick predicting virtual and augmented reality?
Holmes had some quasi-scientific guesses with references to what would be fingerprinting and blood-typing.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #1042
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Someone on another forum that I frequent is looking for a book. Copied from there:

Quote:
Back in the preinternet days, I collected obscure UK mystery novels from the start of the 20th century.

The one I really miss and would like to find again, was from before the golden age, but I can’t remember either author or title.

There was a retired captain who planted his garden with tulips, all a certain number, maybe five or seven, to a bed. This was either a clue or a red herring.

There was an eccentric old lady whose house opened onto the town’s wall - set in south west England.

There was a church or cathedral and supposed to be buried treasure which criminals were looking for, and the good people were looking for to save it. The treasure had belonged to an abbot or a bishop, who was buried there. Eventually the treasure was discovered to be buried with him in a hidden vault accessed through what appeared to be his tomb. The goodies arranged to leave it there and make it impossible to access it.

Anyone know it? I have been looking for years without success.

Not by anyone as well known as M R James, and it was a novel, not a short story.

It is frustrating because I have a a vague idea of the title being something like The something Abbot or The Abbot’s something, but I have never been able to find it. In style, and probably date, it was similar to Fergus Hume’s work. It isn’t any of the ones Project Gutenberg has, but he wrote so much it could have been an obscure one of his.
Anyone here able to help?
Old 03-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #1043
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
All:

A couple of days ago I read a history of a bookstore, that mentioned one of their prize books. It didn't provide any bibliographic data for the book. Nor any contact information on their website. The bookstore itself is out of business.

The book was originally published in Russian, for the use of officers of the Soviet Army. (Given its content, I'd assume Special Forces, not regular army.) If an officer lost the book, he was instantly executed. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, it was smuggled to the west, where it was translated into English, and sold on the specialty market.

It was written to help officers ensure that their troops survive in urban/semi-urban combat. It lists things such as distance that a match can be seen at night, distance that a cigarette can be seen at night (8 miles), distance that one can hear somebody walking (40 feet). Distance that one can hear a rifle being chambered (120 feet). Distance that one can hear a trigger being pulled (10 feet), etc.

It struck me as a very useful book, for somebody who writes stories about combat, but hasn't been in the military. Or maybe even if they had been in the military. The article said that its most popular audience appeared to members of the officers of the US Marine Corp.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #1044
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Okay, here's my nagging memory. Read it in a library anthology, probably one of the annual bests of...

Short SF story, by Poul Anderson, I think. Might be Farmer.

A man walking down a city street meets a woman, both are amazed and delighted to discover they are telepaths. Minds touch, thrilled to know they aren't alone, discovering all the great things about each other, followed by the secret, hidden, not so nice things, the insecurities, petty moves, jealousies, hates... Disgusted, they break away swearing to forever avoid each other.

The whole encounter over in an instant.
Help?
Sorry I'm answering this so late - it sounds like Journey's End, by Poul Andersorn.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:50 PM   #1045
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm also looking for a short story. It moved me and made me laugh out loud on the train into London, more than thirty years ago. I thought it was in a Robert Silverberg collection, but I've looked through a list of all his works and none of them stand out.

The premise is that of a mild-mannered man who cannot understand why some people are so abrasive, so different from himself. Then one day he has an epiphany, realising that we are like a stew, some people are onions, some are carrots and some are potatoes. Carrots are not elongated orange onions, they are something distinct in themselves, and from that day he stops trying to understand people from his perspective on life. And he starts standing up for himself.

The one scene I can remember is where he is sitting at the front of a traffic queue when the lights change to green. When he doesn't move immediately, the car behind him honks their horn. Instead of sucking it up as he once would have, he gets out his car and approached the driver behind him, and explains the error of the driver's ways.

There's also another scene where he is told he can't come into a restaurant because he hasn't got a tie, though I can't remember much else.

I have been searching for this story for years. I would be eternally grateful if someone could identify it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:47 AM   #1046
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
"Cordle to Onion to Carrot" by Robert Sheckley.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:10 AM   #1047
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
"Cordle to Onion to Carrot" by Robert Sheckley.
Wow! Thanks so much. So it was Robert Sheckley, not Silverberg. No wonder I couldn't find it. Much kudos.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:19 AM   #1048
Star_Eagle
Star_Eagle began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC
Looking for a Kindle sci-fi book

Hi everyone

I've been trying to find a kindle space sci-fi book I can faintly remember from browsing through the site in the last year or two, I haven't read the book but I do recall the write-up.

From what I remember of the synopsis the book was a space sci-fi set in the far future. Humans have been almost wiped out by an alien race and the story focused on one of the last, possibly only remaining ships.

An old, dilapidated (I think prison) vessel commanded by a woman captain desperately trying to keep every thing from falling apart as the equipment fails and their hunted down by the aliens.

I hope this is enough detail for someone to recognise the book.

Many thanks in advance.
Star_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #1049
Witty Username
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star_Eagle View Post
Hi everyone

I've been trying to find a kindle space sci-fi book I can faintly remember from browsing through the site in the last year or two
Do you have amazon browsing history switched on? If so, it'll be there.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #1050
Star_Eagle
Star_Eagle began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC
Thanks for the suggestion but I was using my laptop and I've unfortunately changed machines since then.
Star_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths