Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505
file type question

When converting a document from a formatted file like MS word or open office, which is better to use as an intermediate file format, HTM, or RTF? And why?

Thanks,
Dow
dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
htm as it has more features and is generally better supported by most converters.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
However, if you are using a product like BookDesigner it is generally better to stay as close as possible to the original source rather than convert to one thing and then another.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I'm not using book designer yet, as I don't have MS word on my home computer. Do you have any idea if there's a way to get it to use OpenOffice?

Thanks,
Dow
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dow View Post
Thanks. I'm not using book designer yet, as I don't have MS word on my home computer. Do you have any idea if there's a way to get it to use OpenOffice?
Open Office can save to Word format. I don't think BD requires Word to be present. Word docs are simply one electronic format it understands.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Open Office can save to Word format. I don't think BD requires Word to be present. Word docs are simply one electronic format it understands.
______
Dennis
BD gives errors opening most file types (RTF, HTML, LIT) if you don't have Word installed. I just found this out when I installed BD on the XP Partition of my new computer. I had to dig out my Office 2007 Home disc & install Word to get things to work properly. Otherwise I the only file type I tried that would open was plain txt.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
BD gives errors opening most file types (RTF, HTML, LIT) if you don't have Word installed. I just found this out when I installed BD on the XP Partition of my new computer. I had to dig out my Office 2007 Home disc & install Word to get things to work properly. Otherwise I the only file type I tried that would open was plain txt.
Weird. OK, I sit corrected.

BD is apparently calling components of Word to do various things. I have Office 2000 installed here. I may try removing Word 2000 and installing Word 97 to see what results I get. The OP's problem may be Word 97.

I don't mind BD doing that, but it would be nice if requiring at least Word 2000 as a prerequisite was documented somewhere.
______
Dennis
Old 01-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BD uses one of the COM components of Word to do file conversion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
BD uses one of the COM components of Word to do file conversion.
Do you happen to know which?
______
Dennis
Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Word.Application, most probably.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Do you happen to know which?
______
Dennis
I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:33 AM   #12
dow
Addict

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping ot avoid installing MS word on my home laptop, as I really like OpenOffice, and I was hoping ot avoid having to pay MS's licensing fees, but I guess if I want to use BD, I don't have much of a choice.

Last edited by dow; 01-31-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #13
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dow View Post
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping ot avoid installing MS word on my home laptop, as I really like OpenOffice, and I was hoping ot avoid having to pay MS's licensing fees, but I guess if I want to use BD, I don't have much of a choice.
Microsoft offers freeware viewers for various Office files, including Word. Try downloading and installing a Word viewer and see if it does the trick. The Word 2007 viewer is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

I don't know if it will add the functionality BD requires, but it can't hurt to try.
______
Dennis
Old 01-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Word is definitely required and an older version such as Word 97 probably won't work (it didn't for me). I downloaded the 60-day trial version of Office 2007 Home & Student, which worked quite nicely with BD. I'm a WordPerfect user myself, so I hate having to install Word too. I know expecting WordPerfect to be an acceptable substitute is absurd - the two programs have a very different philosophy/approach to word processing - but I really think programmers could at least design to use OpenOffice instead of Word. After all, Word is not part of a default Windows OS install. Besides, if they used OpenOffice as a resource, I would think that it would be a lot easier to port across to other operating systems, like Mac OS X & Linux.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 PM   #15
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Quote:
Microsoft offers freeware viewers for various Office files, including Word. Try downloading and installing a Word viewer and see if it does the trick. The Word 2007 viewer is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

I don't know if it will add the functionality BD requires, but it can't hurt to try.
______
Dennis

I have the 2003 Word viewer installed, along with the updates that supposedly are equivalent to uninstalling it and installing the 2007 viewer. It didn't do the trick. Neither did Word 97. It looks like it has to be a full-fledged install of Word 2000 or newer.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote