Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2020, 05:35 AM   #1
OfficerAction
Connoisseur
OfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kobo Aura One
Post All new Ultimate Manga Reader

Ultimate Manga Reader
A feature-rich online manga reader for Kobo E-Ink devices.
Compared to the one I posted a few years ago it's basically a complete rewrite.
It's now based on the latest Qt5, it's standalone and has tons of new features, bugfixes and design improvements.

Features:
  • It comes with a refined, modern design and a GUI that is DPI independent and will look great on various platforms.
  • It supports multiple websites as manga sources with tens of thousands of available mangas.
    Currently supported websites are: MangaDex, MangaHub, MangaPanda, MangaTown and Mangakakalot/Manganelo.
  • It's fast. It will stream, prerender and cache mangapages in advance while reading to minimize loading times and to enable the perfect reading experience.
  • It supports offline-reading. Mangas can be downloaded in advance and read later without internet connection.
  • It supports favorites and bookmarks reading progress automatically, so you can pick right up reading where you left off.
  • It is designed to be ergonomic on E-Readers. It supports configurable gesture inputs, frontlight control and a sleep mode. Custom screensavers can be placed in the screensaver folder and will be picked at random.

You can find the source code and additional info here.

How to install:
First you will need to install a launcher application. I recomend NickelMenu, the latest release along with install instructions can be found here.

To add a launch entry in NickelMenu the following line has to be added to the config file:
Code:
menu_item :main :Ultimate Manga Reader :cmd_spawn :quiet:/mnt/onboard/.adds/UltimateMangaReader/ultimatemangareader.sh

For the application itself just download the latest release here and extract the archive into the root directiory of your Kobo device.

Known issues:[LIST][*]Touchinputs work differently on every Kobo model and are currently broken for older devices. But also for some newer devices it's possible that touch inputs are rotated/flipped. To fix this you can try to modify the following parameters in the ultimatemangareader.sh startup script:
touchscreen_rotate=auto|0|90|180|270
touchscreen_invert_x=auto|0|1
touchscreen_invert_y=auto|0|1

Feedback is always appreciated.

At this point I have spent well over 1000 hours working on this project. If you like the app and want to support me you can send a paypal donation my way via balduran174@gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200718_100134.jpg
Views:	6542
Size:	761.7 KB
ID:	180730   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200718_100125.jpg
Views:	5360
Size:	849.2 KB
ID:	180731   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200718_100511.jpg
Views:	5684
Size:	947.4 KB
ID:	180732  

Last edited by OfficerAction; 01-11-2021 at 05:27 PM.
OfficerAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
I tried it with Kobo Clara HD, but it doesn't seem to work. I connected to Wifi before launching the app(via kfmon) and it's just stuck at "connecting to wifi". Doesn't react at any event(touch/sleep) and requires reboot to get ereader going.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
On my Forma, the display was upside down. Changing the 3 to a 1 on this line fixed the issue.
Code:
echo 3 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate
Now it works very well. Using the MangaDex website on Kobo is a nightmare, so this is exactly what I was looking for.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
OfficerAction
Connoisseur
OfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughingOfficerAction can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galunid View Post
I tried it with Kobo Clara HD, but it doesn't seem to work. I connected to Wifi before launching the app(via kfmon) and it's just stuck at "connecting to wifi". Doesn't react at any event(touch/sleep) and requires reboot to get ereader going.
Thanks for the feedback. Did you start it with wifi turned on (in the Nickel firmware)?
OfficerAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Works fine on my Aura One. Wifi was turned on before starting UMR via Nickle Menu.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerAction View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Did you start it with wifi turned on (in the Nickel firmware)?
Yup, I connected to wifi(in nickel) and then used kfmon to start the app. I checked for the logs, but there was only empty `log.txt` file in the application directory.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:48 AM   #7
stiivo
Enthusiast
stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
tried to install it on my kobo clara hd this morning running 4.22.15190 however after the application launches no touch input is being registered. The app doesnt crash however, as hitting the power button once reloads the app and holding down the power button closes it off and returns the user to the main kobo os
stiivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:08 AM   #8
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiivo View Post
tried to install it on my kobo clara hd this morning running 4.22.15190 however after the application launches no touch input is being registered. The app doesnt crash however, as hitting the power button once reloads the app and holding down the power button closes it off and returns the user to the main kobo os
If only the creator had included a fix in the first post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerAction View Post
Known issues:
  • Touchinputs work differently on every Kobo model and are currently broken for older devices. But also for some newer devices it's possible that touch inputs are rotated/flipped. To fix this you can try to modify the following parameters in the ultimatemangareader.sh startup script:
    touchscreen_rotate=auto|0|90|180|270
    touchscreen_invert_x=auto|0|1
    touchscreen_invert_y=auto|0|1
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:19 AM   #9
stiivo
Enthusiast
stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.stiivo has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHess View Post
If only the creator had included a fix in the first post.
well i tried that and it didnt work. seems like the fix he posted was to fix inverted touch registrations. The issue when trying on the clara is that no input is being registered
stiivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #10
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Wow, nice stuff ! Good job !

I can finally try to read some scans on my kobo ! This may make me get a 7" next time I upgrade.

Small issue I have on Glo HD : the sleepcover works when going to sleep, not when waking up (I need to press the button)
Simboubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #11
tenshu
tenshu began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
Just installed on my Aura HD and now all the images in the Qt folders are listed under the Book sections.
tenshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:35 PM   #12
tenshu

It's also indexing all the scan from the cache folder as Books.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:47 AM   #13
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Tenshu

When installing KFmon, you need to "blacklist" the KFmon files. (see the "NOTE" in this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314220).

Basically : on your Kobo, go to .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf
In this file, find the [FeatureSettings] section (or create it)
Then add this option :

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=\\.(?!kobo|adobe).*?
Note : you might need to uninstall then reinstall KFmon.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:08 AM   #14
tenshu

Thanks for the tip.

I could not find the right touchscreen parameters for the Aura HD.
I'll try again later but it drove me crazy last night.

Last edited by tenshu; 07-22-2020 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:12 AM   #15
Simboubou
Connoisseur

On that front, changing the option in UMR to swipe right or left to turn the page didn't work at first. I had to change those twice for it to work.