Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-31-2021, 11:08 PM   #16
bingo619
bingo619 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
@winstonma

Thanks anyway.

In the advanced tab there is a function to export img.

Even if we can get the img starting from 0x0000, not sure how to write it in tough.

I guess I am doom.
bingo619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #17
lvlrdka22
lvlrdka22 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note
If you're using the Linux upgrade_tool and can still get in to rockusb, just write this file to 0x0, then flash the rest manually.
cat that file to get the partition table.
I don't think there's anything serial number-specific. They appear the same between my Note and Note Pro.
lvlrdka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:39 AM   #18
bingo619
bingo619 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks @lvlrdka22

Wish I saw this earlier, just sent back to Onyx for a factory flash. contacted them to send me the files, said they would not release to the public.
bingo619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #19
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo619 View Post
Thanks @lvlrdka22

Wish I saw this earlier, just sent back to Onyx for a factory flash. contacted them to send me the files, said they would not release to the public.
Sorry to hear that.

FYI, based on my experience:
  1. Rockchip device can't be rooted using the Magisk method
  2. But it can be done in the old fashion way (SuperSU)
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:02 PM   #20
jerrywyh
jerrywyh began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonma View Post
This is not a bug. Actually you are using a Rockchip device and it doesn't support fastboot command at all. If you want to dump anything to a rockchip device, you need to use RKDevTool. I wrote a guide on how to deal with the rockchip backup and restore in my medium article. Please feel free to take a look. In a nutshell you need to install rockchip driver and download the RKDevTool to flash boot.img onto your Note Pro.

If you want to try the magisk method please get a backup your boot.img in advance or you may get your device into an unbootable state. I got no luck on the Magisk method but I eventually got my device rooted.
I'm so surprised to see that my Onyx Nova still has hope.

What happened was that I managed to root my Nova with Desktop version KingRoot. Then I thought I was more used to SuperSU, so I switched to SuperSU. When I tried to install Magisk to replace SuperSU, patching boot part was done, and after the reboot, the device can only get to Onyx System Recovery, with a menu of Reboot to bootloader, Reboot system, Apply Update from ADB, Apply Update from SDCARD etc.. Apparently rebooting system can only get me back to the same menu, and rebooting to bootloader would just lead to a freezing message "Rebooting to bootloader".

I didn't have the update package on the SDCARD (no external card for this machine), so I can only try Update from ADB. After this one was chosen, "ADB devices" can show me the device, yet commands like "ADB list" didn't work and I haven't learned other commands yet. The system was V3.0 before all this, yet I've tried the same and earlier firmware from both www.boox.com/downloads/ and http://cn.boox.com/, and none of them worked. After applied "adb sideload filename" I got only "footer is wrong" and "signature verification failed". I can read Chinese and the machine was bought when I visited mainland China. What confused me was that, which package should I use to update from ADB to save my Nova?

After reading this post, I start to wonder, is it possible for me to flash the unscripted image by RKDevTool? @winstonma You referred to your blog and mentioned that you've dumped the images from your Nova. Is it possible that I can flash the image from your device? Does it matter if your machine is not China version (it could be Europe or Russia version)? Thank you guys very much. Looking forward to more recommendations/comments.
jerrywyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:49 PM   #21
jerrywyh

Quote:
update:

managed to flash the patched boot img. Now the NotePro can not boot into the system, can only boot to the System Recovery.

What should I do now?
Hi bingo619, how did you get to flash boot.img? I was able to decrypt the update.upx, yet I can only get to Onyx System Recovery. The only way I get ADB work is choosing Update from ADB, and then only ADB devices and ADB sideload work. adb fastboot reboot and other fastboot commands didn't work. Looks like my Nova has only adb sideload available. Any idea? Thanks a lot.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:11 PM   #22
jerrywyh

Quote:
Thanks.

I accidentially flash root.img to ox00000000, now it would not boot into the recovery nor system.

Anyone has got backups?
I guess I made the same mistake: I accidentally flashed boot.img to 0x00000000. Before, I can boot to the stock recoevery. Now I can see only Rebooting to bootloader. I guess that's the bootloader mode as the RKDevTool "Found One Loader Device". Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:11 AM   #23
Nicolas-
Nicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Onyx Nova Pro 2019
Quote:
Did you flash your boot.img using RKDevTool or fastboot?

I am using Nova and I guess it should be compactible as I am using the same Rockchip chip as Note Pro.
  1. Download my dumped image. It contains 3 files.
Hello winstonma
I was wondering if your dumped image is still available because I cannot access it through your link.
Thanks in advance.
Nicolas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #24
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas- View Post
Hello winstonma
I was wondering if your dumped image is still available because I cannot access it through your link.
Thanks in advance.
I guess it would expire after a day. May I ask what objective are you going to achieve?

You don't need those files if you can enter bootloader/fastboot mode.

Last edited by winstonma; 05-17-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:08 PM   #25
Nicolas-
Nicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blueNicolas- can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
I guess it would expire after a day. May I ask what objective are you going to achieve?

You don't need those files if you can enter bootloader/fastboot mode.
Actually, I tried to upgrade my Nova Pro to Android 9 following the official guide from Onyx, but I got stuck in Maskrom mode and now the device isn't booting anymore.
As I didn't set ADB debug mode beforehand, it seems impossible to boot the device in Loader mode anymore.
My objective was to use RKDevTool to try to flash some of your partitions to get Bootloader mode again. But it seems even RKDevTool cannot access the device now.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:58 PM   #26
Nicolas-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlrdka22 View Post
If you're using the Linux upgrade_tool and can still get in to rockusb, just write this file to 0x0, then flash the rest manually.
cat that file to get the partition table.
I don't think there's anything serial number-specific. They appear the same between my Note and Note Pro.
Hello,
With this file, would it be possible to restore LOADER mode on a Nova Pro?
Can you tell me more about Linux upgrade_tool please? Is it a tool for Rockchip devices?
Old 05-17-2021, 10:22 PM   #27
winstonma
Zealot

Quote:
Actually, I tried to upgrade my Nova Pro to Android 9 following the official guide from Onyx, but I got stuck in Maskrom mode and now the device isn't booting anymore.
As I didn't set ADB debug mode beforehand, it seems impossible to boot the device in Loader mode anymore.
My objective was to use RKDevTool to try to flash some of your partitions to get Bootloader mode again. But it seems even RKDevTool cannot access the device now.
First of all, I don't think the ADB debug mode would help because it is enabled after the system bootup. If you can't boot to Android, the ADB debug mode would not help.

If your Nova Pro get recognized by RKDevTool, then you still have no way to load the partitions onto the device.

I guess it is best to try to get your device into LOADER mode and see if your Nova Pro can be recognized by RKDevTool
  • Turn off your Nova Pro, then put your Nova Pro into LOADER mode. I really forgot how to get the device into LOADER mode. Either
    • Hold the Power Button for 10 seconds, or
    • Hold the Power Button and Home Button together
    As there is no indicator on the screen to show you "you entered LOADER mode", you need to verify it using the next step.
  • Connect your Nova Pro with the PC, then on PC run the RKDevTool

If you don't see the LOADER on screen, then it would be your best interest to contact the customer support.

Last edited by winstonma; 05-17-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:02 AM   #28
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Many devices go into special USB modes without any indication on the screen or sound.
Especially in Windows this is a problem because missing drivers complicates things.

UsbView is an ancient (but still useful) utility from Microsoft.
https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uplo...07/usbview.zip
You can see if your device is connected and what interface(s) it is presenting.

At the basic level, you can disconnect and reconnect your device and see if Windows "bongs".
If something is there, you need to check what it is and if it needs some drivers.

If you have a Linux computer around it's easy to just plug something in and then look in "dmesg" to see how it connected.

Finally, if you have a console UART connected, most (but not all) things will tell you what they are doing.

(Disclaimer: I know nothing about RockChip. Did anyone mention what VID/PID the Loader is?)
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #29
Nicolas-

Quote:
First of all, I don't think the ADB debug mode would help because it is enabled after the system bootup. If you can't boot to Android, the ADB debug mode would not help.

If your Nova Pro get recognized by RKDevTool, then you still have no way to load the partitions onto the device.

I guess it is best to try to get your device into LOADER mode and see if your Nova Pro can be recognized by RKDevTool
  • Turn off your Nova Pro, then put your Nova Pro into LOADER mode. I really forgot how to get the device into LOADER mode. Either
    • Hold the Power Button for 10 seconds, or
    • Hold the Power Button and Home Button together
    As there is no indicator on the screen to show you "you entered LOADER mode", you need to verify it using the next step.
  • Connect your Nova Pro with the PC, then on PC run the RKDevTool

If you don't see the LOADER on screen, then it would be your best interest to contact the customer support.
Thank you very much for your advise. As I am not able to get my device into LOADER mode anymore, I'll contact the customer service.
I wonder why the update is not released as an OTA yet.

Quote:
Many devices go into special USB modes without any indication on the screen or sound.
Especially in Windows this is a problem because missing drivers complicates things.

UsbView is an ancient (but still useful) utility from Microsoft.
https://ftdichip.com/wp-content/uplo...07/usbview.zip
You can see if your device is connected and what interface(s) it is presenting.

At the basic level, you can disconnect and reconnect your device and see if Windows "bongs".
If something is there, you need to check what it is and if it needs some drivers.

If you have a Linux computer around it's easy to just plug something in and then look in "dmesg" to see how it connected.

Finally, if you have a console UART connected, most (but not all) things will tell you what they are doing.
Nice utility, thank you! I can hear the "bong" sound and the device is recognized as a Rockchip device, but stays in Maskrom mode.

Quote:
Disclaimer: I know nothing about RockChip. Did anyone mention what VID/PID the Loader is?)
During the update procedure, when I install the driver, the USB ID is 2207 320A
Old 05-26-2021, 10:28 PM   #30
winstonma
Zealot

Quote:
Thank you very much for your advise. As I am not able to get my device into LOADER mode anymore, I'll contact the customer service.
I wonder why the update is not released as an OTA yet.
I guess it is because the rom (not the update procedure) need to be verified. They would expose themselves into deep trouble if there are many problem on the new rom / during the update procedure.