Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 12-10-2019, 05:45 AM   #1
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
A very nice brand new footnote display

Thank you for this excellent new feature

I had the luck to open a commercial book which had all the requisites and discovered a new footnotes display exactly like with a paper book (and more because you can still go to the note folder). Well, I am no too late since this feature was added to Koreader in October 2019...

I checked the difference between the code I used for ePub3 footnotes and this one. The only difference was the presence of a "ntb" class in the aside element (missing in my code).

This is mine but of course YMMV
Code:
.ntb {
  margin: 0% 0% 1% 5%;
  font-size: 0.85em;
  line-height: 130%;
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: normal;
  text-align: justify;
  text-indent: 0%;
  text-rendering: optimizeSpeed;
}

It's surprising, but once you know it, it's just a trifle to add it and enjoy this feature.

Lots of ebook readers still do not have this feature.

and congratulations to the developers!

Last edited by roger64; 12-10-2019 at 05:58 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Yes it is fine, I still prefer the pop up notes but I also like very much In page footnotes. I think also that it depends on the notes, if they give a real additional information or a simple bibliographic reference: in the first case it is more useful, in the second pop up notes are better so You can easily ignore them.

As far as I know Koreader is the only engine that has this ingenious feature.

In my opinion this feature can be appreciated better with a large screen reader (like my Kobo Aura One), because it seems more like a printed book, also in the dimension of "page" and it leaves anyway enough space for normal text.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Well, I am no too late since this feature was added to Koreader in October 2019...
Added in January I believe. ;-) Actually these have "always" been in CoolReader/KOReader, but it was previously limited to FB2 and most of us didn't know about it (myself included). What's new is that @poire-z also made it available in EPUB with a bit of extra code.

I like popup footnotes, but I definitely prefer in-page.

Last edited by Frenzie; 12-11-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #4
wallaertq
wallaertq began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4.1.1
a lot! In-page footnotes make the experience so much better with Non-Touch devices! (where the only other way to see the notes is to interrupt reading and go through the Table of Contents to the end of the book)
wallaertq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:33 AM   #5
Norbi24
Connoisseur
Norbi24 doesn't litterNorbi24 doesn't litter

Device: Tolino Vision HD4, BOOX Poke2
Also many thanks for this nice feature I have only shortly discovered
I am playing around with In-page classic classname footnotes as I haven't seen any epub3 book so far.
I works fine, but almost for each new book I have to add its corresponding CSS class name ...

But shortly, I was playing with the ALReader reading app, and it supports it also, but it has only one config checkbox to activate showing footnotes at the end of the page, and it works almost everywhere pretty fine.

Therefore please allow me a question/suggestion - wouldn't it be nice to have something like this also in KOReader ? I mean it anyway supports hyperlink in the page, pickups the html block they point to, but then attempts to match it agains the tweaked CSS class which contains the property cr-hint: footnote-inpage and if ok, they it shows it in the page
(this is at least my understanding)

Why not to introduce another config checkbox to simply activate showing the block the hyperlink in the page points to below in the page, without the necessity to inspect at first the html code and then add the proper css class name to the tweak ?
(at least I believe in AlReader it is that simple ... )

Thansk, Norbert
Norbi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
AFAIK it has been already implemented. Update to the latest stable. It is turned on by default for fb2, but you also can turn it on for epubs. It is in top menu - second tab - style tweaks
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbi24 View Post
Also many thanks for this nice feature I have only shortly discovered
I am playing around with In-page classic classname footnotes as I haven't seen any epub3 book so far.
I works fine, but almost for each new book I have to add its corresponding CSS class name ...
Have you tried to look into something more generic with just element names?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:25 AM   #8
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Have you tried to look into something more generic with just element names?
Yes, of course, I inspected several books in Calibre, and it looked that this tweak was working on couple of books, as the note seems always be encapsulated in div, while normal pages not ...

div > div, div > p {
-cr-hint: footnote-inpage;
}
but then I encountered two books, where also normal pages are in divs so this was not generally working.

I will perhaps have a look into the code and come up with a proposal,
I myself am Ok with the curent solution as I am a programmer and do understand html/CSS stuff, but what about those who don't ...
Old 04-09-2020, 04:30 AM   #9
Norbi24
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
AFAIK it has been already implemented. Update to the latest stable. It is turned on by default for fb2, but you also can turn it on for epubs. It is in top menu - second tab - style tweaks
Hmm, I am on the latest stable 2020.03.02 and do know these
In-page footnote tweaks, but they work only if the note has either some specific role attribute, or CSS class there ...
I thought something simpler - if a hyperlink in a page is found, then always display the block it points to as a footnote (if configured so)
But perhaps I am overlooking something ?