Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #1
protofish
protofish began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
need to convert kindle books that are only on ipad

Hi folks. This is a conundrum. My Amazon account was hacked last year and I had to deactivate it. I opened a new Amazon account. The Kindle books on my iPad (and my wife's) were downloaded from the old account. In order to now download ebooks purchased from the new account, we need to deregister the iPads and re-register them on the new account. All books on the iPads from the old account will be deleted.

Amazon support says that they cannot migrate Kindle books from the old, inactive account to the new account.

I'm looking for a way to convert the Kindle books now on the iPads to a format that can be saved on the iPad, MacBook or both. Perhaps there is a way to save Kindle book files to the Mac, where I could then use calibre?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. This is making me crazy.

protofish
protofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Why did you "deactivate" the original account? Was Amazon a part of that decision? Changing payment info and log in info should have been sufficient.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:25 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by protofish View Post
Hi folks. This is a conundrum. My Amazon account was hacked last year and I had to deactivate it. I opened a new Amazon account. The Kindle books on my iPad (and my wife's) were downloaded from the old account. In order to now download ebooks purchased from the new account, we need to deregister the iPads and re-register them on the new account. All books on the iPads from the old account will be deleted.

Amazon support says that they cannot migrate Kindle books from the old, inactive account to the new account.

I'm looking for a way to convert the Kindle books now on the iPads to a format that can be saved on the iPad, MacBook or both. Perhaps there is a way to save Kindle book files to the Mac, where I could then use calibre?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. This is making me crazy.

protofish
Do you have them downloaded in Kindle for MAC? If so, what version? If they have DRM, you might be able to remove the DRM using Calibre and the DeDRM plugin.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
protofish
protofish began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
They are not on the Mac, only on the iPads. I cannot find a way to move/copy the kindle files from iPad to Mac so I can strip the DRM. I assume the files are in the Kindle app on the iPad, but there does not seem to be a way to see them.

Bottom line is a choice to simply reregister the iPads and lose >$250 worth of Kindle books we “bought” on Amazon. Only a few would be ones we would want to repurchase, so the loss would be minimal. I'm a stubborn old man, but in the end, I'll give up and bow down to the great and mighty Amazon. (I'm smiling.)

As for deactivating the old Amazon account...it's a long, complicated story.
protofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:49 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by protofish View Post
... but in the end, I'll give up and bow down to the great and mighty Amazon. (I'm smiling.)
In fortnite if you put one walled garden within another you end up with a pitfall infested maze

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Even if you jailbroke the iPad, as far as I know the DeDRM tools don't work on iOS Kindle downloads anyway (no way to recover the key used for encryption).

Highly recommend creating DRM-free backups this go-round.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad converter