Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-29-2019, 07:31 PM   #16
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Thread moved to Devices subforum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Some of your settings are not good for a newbie. Like your collections and where you send your eBooks. Both are not good. You create many subdirectories to send your eBooks to and you do not use the existing collections columns.
Considering the only collection I use is "Finished"?

And yes, I create a subdirectory under the Elibrary directory when I send a new author (actually, a new author or the a new first author where multiple authors exist). So far I haven't had issues with path length other than a couple of books where the title was ridiculously long -- who the bleep needs a 314 character book title? Yes, I could put all my ebooks in the root of the exposed storage but I prefer my structure though I will admit that it was created by a newbie long before I even started using calibre.

Quote:
Tags & Series are for collections and just a single subdirectory is all you need to send your eBooks to. For an inexperienced users, they could have all kinds of trouble with those settings if your settings are copied.
Weird and wonderful. Why would I bother creating a collection based on series since a simple search will find the series?

As mentioned, I use one collection to keep track of finished books. For finding books, I use search which makes tags and collections of relatively little interest to me. I do use a subtitles column which more often than not is used to store series information for books that are in more than one series. Oddly, my Kobo seems to find that information searchable.

So tempting to say I create a subfolder under the Elibrary folder...

I hope that the OPs were helped by what I posted and that they were not hopelessly confused.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-30-2019 at 10:36 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Considering the only collection I use is "Finished"?

And yes, I create a subdirectory under the Elibrary directory when I send a new author (actually, a new author or the a new first author where multiple authors exist). So far I haven't had issues with path length other than a couple of books where the title was ridiculously long -- who the bleep needs a 314 character book title? Yes, I could put all my ebooks in the root of the exposed storage but I prefer my structure though I will admit that it was created by a newbie long before I even started using calibre.
It's not the length but the fact that when you delete that author's books because you've read them all, you will eventually end up with a number of empty subdirectories. That's the problem I had with the default settings for sending a book to a device sometime way back when. I've since changed it. I don't want empty subdirectories. Just like I don't want leftover files. That happens on a Kindle when you delete the book using the Kindle.

Quote:
Weird and wonderful. Why would I bother creating a collection based on series since a simple search will find the series?
Because you have more choices.

Quote:
As mentioned, I use one collection to keep track of finished books. For finding books, I use search which makes tags and collections of relatively little interest to me. I do use a subtitles column which more often than not is used to store series information for books that are in more than one series. Oddly, my Kobo seems to find that information searchable.
I've never tried to search on the series info on my H2O. That's good to know that it works. Thanks.

Quote:
I hope that the OPs were helped by what I posted and that they were not hopelessly confused.
I hope so too,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:32 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
It's not the length but the fact that when you delete that author's books because you've read them all, you will eventually end up with a number of empty subdirectories. That's the problem I had with the default settings for sending a book to a device sometime way back when. I've since changed it. I don't want empty subdirectories. Just like I don't want leftover files. That happens on a Kindle when you delete the book using the Kindle.
Why does it matter? The empty directory isn't harming anything. You can't see it when using the device. And, as you use calibre to send the books, you aren't going to see them unless you go looking. Maybe if the partition was formatted as FAT16, it would be a concern, but, FAT32 doesn't have an issue.

If you are really concerned, delete the books using calibre. It cleans up any empty directories.
Quote:
And that is the whole point. We have choices. But, you seem to think that your choices are the only one that anyone should use (that's my opinion based on reading all your posts over the years). Honestly, @DNSB's screenshots are better than your "defaults" as it allows anyone seeing them to realised it can be done another way.
Quote:
I've never tried to search on the series info on my H2O. That's good to know that it works. Thanks.
I'm pretty stunned that you've never done a search that returned a series as well as some books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:07 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Jon
The Quality check PI has a fix: cleanup that was put there for cleaning up leftovers on a folder based device (Astak) I have not tried it on the K4, but it should work.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #21
fvdham
Connoisseur
fvdham began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-T1 / Kobo Glo HD
The "Kobo-way" is the easyest way for me. So I'll stick to it.
Thanks theducks
fvdham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As near as I can tell, when I delete all the books by an author using calibre, the directory is removed. Though deleting books is not something that I often do.

Quote:
Quote:
Jon, using search, I have a simple method which takes the minimum number of taps to locate a book. Why would I want to use a less optimal option? Are you going to start demanding that Kobo support a file browser?

Quote:
Ghod knows that searching on series has been mentioned enough times in these forums. I seem to remember having mentioned it a few years back -- yes, there it is in the Is it possible to sort kobo collection by series? thread.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #23
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Can you please explain? How is using Series a duplication of something that already exists?
I think that using series to create collection is a duplication because I already have the series information and I can already order my books for series number. If I create a collection for each series I will get 30 (or more) new collections but no real new information.

It is not so easy to use English to explain, I hope this explanation is enough to make me understand.

Last edited by ps67; 12-31-2019 at 12:55 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I think that using series to create collection is a duplication because I already have the series information and I can already order my books for series number. If I create a collection for each series I will get 30 (or more) new collections but no real new information.

It is not so easy to use English to explain, I hope this explanation is enough to make me understand.
I suspect that despite the title of this thread having "kobo" in it and the two OPs having issues with series information not showing on their Kobo ereaders, Jon is thinking of other devices such as Sony and Amazon Kindle eInk devices that do not have support for series.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:22 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I suspect that despite the title of this thread having "kobo" in it and the two OPs having issues with series information not showing on their Kobo ereaders, Jon is thinking of other devices such as Sony and Amazon Kindle eInk devices that do not have support for series.
I think so. He basically said, "That's the way it worked for a Sony, so that's the way it should work elsewhere."
Old 01-01-2020, 05:55 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Jon, using search, I have a simple method which takes the minimum number of taps to locate a book. Why would I want to use a less optimal option? Are you going to start demanding that Kobo support a file browser?
I don't have a need for a file browser. Besides, I can always plug in my H2O and use Windows Explorer if I wanted.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:58 AM   #27
jacques91
jacques91 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Sorry was away and couldn't answer timely your question: Here it is

[QUOTE=JSWolf;3934322]In Calibre preferences, do you have Metadata Management set to Automatic management? It's in the Import/export section under Sending books to device.

--- Yes absolutely

You should not have to manually update the metadata when you plug in your Kobo after the newly added books have been processed.

---Agreed too but that was before...

Which Kobo driver are you using?

------ I am using KoboTouch Driver

Thanks for your help
jacques91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:42 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques91 View Post
Sorry was away and couldn't answer timely your question: Here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
In Calibre preferences, do you have Metadata Management set to Automatic management? It's in the Import/export section under Sending books to device.
--- Yes absolutely

You should not have to manually update the metadata when you plug in your Kobo after the newly added books have been processed.

If you have the configuration correct, it should work. As it isn't, run calibre in debug mode (right-click the preferences button and choose the option), connect the device and let the device jobs run. When they finish, close calibre and the debug log will be displayed. Post the complete log. Or PM it to me. I can usually see what is wrong from that.

Last edited by davidfor; 01-03-2020 at 06:45 AM. Reason: fix quoting a bit
Old 01-03-2020, 07:22 AM   #29
jacques91
jacques91 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
as I am not familiar with the forum capabilities and PM , please can you tell me how to mail you the log file ? Thanks
jacques91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:29 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

[QUOTE=jacques91;3936323]Sorry was away and couldn't answer timely your question: Here it is

Quote:
In Calibre preferences, do you have Metadata Management set to Automatic management? It's in the Import/export section under Sending books to device.

--- Yes absolutely

Thanks for your help
Check the KoboTouch driver. Check the Metadata tab and make sure Update metadata on the device us checked. You also want Set series information and Update Metadata on book details page checked.