Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #1
bopfan
bopfan began at the beginning.

Device: LG G-Pad II, Kobo Aura, Mac Mini, Asus MEmoPad
Kobo Aura + epub files + microSD

I am considering the purchase of a Kobo Aura.

I have a Mac Mini as my desktop computer. I have a hundred or so epub titles stored on the hard drive of the Mac Mini.

So here's the question: Can I move those epub titles onto a microSD card, insert the card into the Aura and access those files?

In the past I have been doing this process using my Mac and prepping the microSD card for use on an android tablet. Then accessing those epub files with either Mantano Reader and/or Moon Reader etc. Easy peasy.

Will the Kobo Aura find those files and will I be able to access them. Sounds like I would need the equavalent of a File Manager on the Aura. Is there one built into the Kobo? Thanks
bopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i think it's best to insert the card into the kobo aura first, allow it to format the microSD card. then just connect the aura, with the microSD card attached, to your mac. the microSD card would show up on your mac as a usb drive for you to load/off-load as you wish.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
bopfan
bopfan began at the beginning.

Device: LG G-Pad II, Kobo Aura, Mac Mini, Asus MEmoPad
rem736:

Thanks! That's easy to do!

So side load to the Kobo-formatted microSD while it is in the Aura and connected via a USB cable to my Mac Mini. The card should show up on my desktop and then ya-da ya-da.

And once the epub files are on that Kobo-formatted microSD then the Kobo OS will find them and put them on the shelf?
bopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Kobo will update its database when you insert the card.

There isn't a file manager, you only get the database view. You can create collection/shelves on your own with those. If you're open to mods, my AutoShelf mod will create a collection for each folder, however it expects a USB connection since that's the most common case of seeing books added to the reader.

So even with this mod you'd still have to plug the Kobo to your PC, or use a dumb charger that isn't detected as charger by the Kobo and thus show the Connection popup window. So you can connect, and then tap on the screen to activate AutoShelf on disconnect.

If you're open to alternative reading software, koreader/coolreader come with file browsers I think...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i think it's best to insert the card into the kobo aura first, allow it to format the microSD card. then just connect the aura, with the microSD card attached, to your mac. the microSD card would show up on your mac as a usb drive for you to load/off-load as you wish.
The Kobo devices have no ability to format the external SD card. The only things they do when you insert the card to the device is to add one directory (it starts with "kobo" but I can't remember what it's called) and search the card for books it can add the library.

If you are using calibre, there is an advantage to sending the books to the card while it is in the device. But, this is about tracking what is on the card, not any inability for the device to handle books put on the card directly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopfan View Post
I am considering the purchase of a Kobo Aura.

I have a Mac Mini as my desktop computer. I have a hundred or so epub titles stored on the hard drive of the Mac Mini.

So here's the question: Can I move those epub titles onto a microSD card, insert the card into the Aura and access those files?

In the past I have been doing this process using my Mac and prepping the microSD card for use on an android tablet. Then accessing those epub files with either Mantano Reader and/or Moon Reader etc. Easy peasy.

Will the Kobo Aura find those files and will I be able to access them. Sounds like I would need the equavalent of a File Manager on the Aura. Is there one built into the Kobo? Thanks
I strongly recommend you to use Calibre to manage your books.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Didn't I just read this question in another thread? I answered it over there.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Didn't I just read this question in another thread? I answered it over there.

Yes, he double-posted. He now knows not to do this, because he will soon - presumably - read this thread.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote