Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
whisk
whisk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Sony Reader Australia Release

I did a search of the forums and found this hasn't been posted before so here goes.
I went to the Sony Store on George St. Sydney today to buy some new earphone buds since mine have gone walkabout. Asked about when they're getting in e-readers since I remember reading on the forum a lot of people had asked and they said they had no plans but the manager there said that they were coming in during the last week of September.

I forgot to ask what the pricing might have been, but it looks like we might be seeing the Sony e-readers soon enough.
whisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Cool, I guess that means Italy and Spain should get them too.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Good news. The original thought was going to be august but the delay means the new models will be released here.

I look forward to seeing how the PRS-350 compares to the PRS-300 features, display and cost wise.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Good news. The original thought was going to be august but the delay means the new models will be released here.

I look forward to seeing how the PRS-350 compares to the PRS-300 features, display and cost wise.
Yep .
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:51 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good news, Whisk. Thanks for the heads-up. At the risk of starting a riot here, I've always felt Sony is a better option Down Under than Kindle; though there are several better options in Oz, NZ and the Pacific Rim. Nice to have your new company, by the way. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Reader store placeholder page shows Aussie eBook vendors Sony has partnered with: Borders, Angus & Robertson and Whitecoulls (for NZ).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Reader store placeholder page shows Aussie eBook vendors Sony has partnered with: Borders, Angus & Robertson and Whitecoulls (for NZ).
Huh, that's interesting - are they in some sort of partnership with Kobo?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
whisk
whisk has learned how to buy an e-book online

The Pocket will be going for $229 and the Touch going for $299.

Source
whisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
$229 Huh?

That makes the 5" pocket AU$30 more than the 6" Kobo and nearly AU$50 more than a 6" K3 delivered.

I am not sure I will upgrade my PRS-300 anytime soon.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:14 AM   #10
uclaser
Connoisseur
uclaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I am going to try and make a side by side comparison of the Sony reader with my K3 as soon as they have the new readers on display on the Sony store here in Melbourne. Popped by the city store just now and they said they will have it in stock in a couple of weeks' time.
uclaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisk View Post
The Pocket will be going for $229 and the Touch going for $299.

Source
Thanks, Whisk, and welcome to the forum.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 AM   #12
uclaser
Connoisseur
uclaser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Went again to the Melbourne city Sony store and the guy said "Friday earliest, Monday latest". So yes, it's going to be available very soon. I'm going to compare it with my K3 and if the sony is nicer might return the kindle.
uclaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:48 AM   #13
bingobango
bingobango began at the beginning.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts uclaser!
bingobango is offline   Reply With Quote