Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What is the story behind your avatar?

Mine, well, I think the byline says it all.

So, what is the story behind yours?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
It's a cat .... nuff said !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
I love keeping my brain active & this avatar just seemed to symbolise it so well.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Inspired by Adrian, made by Taylor514ce, what's not to love about a beanie with a propellor on top. Also, "in the world before Monkey, primal chaos reigned..."

I'z in ur beanie, wearin' ur monkeyface!
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
distant relatives, and as it says, "the original border patrol"
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
It is an artist conception. By a friend, like my signature says. I think it fits me like a glove, although I do not do snowboarding, but just ski. Every time I see it my mood just jumps up one notch.

I have been defined as a well mannered (often at least) whirlpool. That's the idea. I have been defined just a nice guy. That's the idea also.

BTW. Great thread TadW. Very useful for the students of postology.

BTW2. This thread Do avatar images influence your impression of personality?
might be interesting as background reference to this thread and certainly could complement his scope

Last edited by beppe; 08-01-2010 at 03:25 PM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Well, I used to have these boring old avatars. Though I rather liked the last I remember, a blue steampunk style male lion head. Fitted my star sign. If I believed in such things.

Then, one day, late last year, I started this thread here at MR - Do avatar images influence your impression of personality?. That sparked a new "era" of avatars for me.

First I came across a cute/funny image of a woman in dirndl dress, having fun with a Hanlin V3 - I think it was courtesy of Astak readers actually. Since it was close to Christmas, the image gave me the idea to look for cute looking Christmas style pin-up images. Nothing tacky or cheap, but cute, sweet and funny images I would like to look at myself. I found a few that I used throughout December last year.

And since then I've stayed with the beautiful women and pretty girls. I like to look at them myself - and from the comments I get, others certainly do, too. I try to stay away from tacky or cheap images, but taste varies, and sometimes I wonder when someone will complain... Not too soon, I hope

Last edited by Ea; 08-01-2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: fixed link
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I am a retired Chief Master Sergeant (CMSgt) from the U.S. Air Force. One of the more common themes for Air Force chiefs is Native American.

I also adore Mickey Mouse.

Finding the two themes together in one picture was so cool - I just had to have/use it.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
I am a retired Chief Master Sergeant (CMSgt) from the U.S. Air Force. One of the more common themes for Air Force chiefs is Native American.

I also adore Mickey Mouse.

Finding the two themes together in one picture was so cool - I just had to have/use it.

Marilyn
Marilyn I am impressed. Maybe it is too early in the flow of the thread to comment on other members' avatar. So I will not comment on yours except to say that I like it very much.
That said, I am impressed. A Chief Master Sergeant is somebody who scares the ... (how do they say this ...) out of everybody. Like Burt Lancaster ( Sgt. Milton Warden in FromHere to Eternity) or Clint Eastwood chum in Gunny.

Tell me more, please, why "One of the more common themes for Air Force chiefs is Native American." Themes of what? Thank you
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Tell me more, please, why "One of the more common themes for Air Force chiefs is Native American." Themes of what? Thank you
Very good question - also from a European like me
Old 08-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Just look at it.
MicroVax supercomputer, with Digital terminal VT420 at the top, a Bakelite rotary dial telephone and one of my favorite slide rules.

When I moved into my new office I made this little museum exhibition in one corner ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Just look at it.
Mmmh... Nice!
Old 08-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Sorry it wasn't more clear. Here's some unofficial U.S. Air Force history (bit dry, sorry):

Chief Master Sergeant is the highest enlisted rank (E-9) in the Air Force and the shortened form of address is "Chief." In the 1970's, the United States Air Force chief master sergeants adopted the American Indian chief as their symbol. The Indian chief is the highest member of the tribe. The chief is also a teacher or mentor to the warriors of the tribe. The chief - an elder - was looked on for leadership.

Upon reaching the rank of E-9, it became customary to give the newly-promoted "Chief" a small bust of an Indian Chief, or a framed lithograph of an Indian leader, usually depicted in full war bonnet. The intent is to capture the virtues of courage, bravery, and honor associated with an American Indian Chief and to encourage the "Chief" to embody these ideals in his/her new rank.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
Ea
Wizard

*deleted* double post

Last edited by Ea; 08-01-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
Upon reaching the rank of E-9, it became customary to give the newly-promoted "Chief" a small bust of an Indian Chief, or a framed lithograph of an Indian leader, usually depicted in full war bonnet. The intent is to capture the virtues of courage, bravery, and honor associated with an American Indian Chief and to encourage the "Chief" to embody these ideals in his/her new rank.
That is very admirable virtues to honour in this way. I can see why you value your "Chief Mickey"