Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
slothrop
Enthusiast
slothrop began at the beginning.

PDF titles and authors on nook?

When I am trying to look at my own pdfs, the nook gets the titles and authors wrong. Where is the nook picking up the title and author of a file? Obviously not from the file name. And how do I go about fixing files so they have the right title and author?
slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
I think it sorts based on "Author" in the default view of My Documents. If your PDF's don't have a proper "Title" and "Author" meta data set, you can set them with Calibre or with proper PDF authoring tools.

Funny thing though, it seems to sort by the order of the last name (ie. Arthur Conan Doyle would sort by "D") in the Author field, not sure if the nook pays any attention to the "Author Sort" field that you can set with Calibre. Still playing around with this.

There is a command line tool bundled with Calibre that lets you adjust the Metadata of PDF's:

ebook-meta -a "author" -t "title" <name of your pdf>.pdf

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothrop View Post
When I am trying to look at my own pdfs, the nook gets the titles and authors wrong. Where is the nook picking up the title and author of a file? Obviously not from the file name. And how do I go about fixing files so they have the right title and author?
From the information within the PDF, and in particular either the info dict (or more unlikely since you said they were your own), the encrypt dict for Content Server encrypted files.

If you don't have a copy of Acrobat, then Dave's suggestion to use Calibre is your best bet.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote