Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Readability - Making A Website Easier to Read

Some of you may know about this little bookmarklet, but I thought I'd share it as I found it useful today putting some articles I've been wanting to read on my Kindle.

The service is called Readability and it works with all the major browsers. You simply go to the website, create your settings, and it makes a custom bookmarklet for you. When you get to a website you want to print, or put on your eReader (or even email to yourself) you simply click the bookmarklet and it renders the text in a clean, easy to read format (most of the time!)

After you set them up, you go to a busy website.... like this atrocious number here:

And you click the button and...

And that's it. You can print it, email it, save it as a PDF (if you can do that). Hope this helps.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I tried Readability it works well. I am using a similar Firefox plugin called TidyRead. The latest version seems to work well with the NoScript plugin.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
nice tips, thank you. i will definitely take a look at readability and also tidyread.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:03 AM   #4
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
Looks Great.

I think i'll be using this a lot as i often find short stories online that i have to convert to reader to get them looking right

thanks again.
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Cool site just added the bookmark
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob101 View Post
Looks Great.

I think i'll be using this a lot as i often find short stories online that i have to convert to reader to get them looking right

thanks again.
One more tip for you, if you are a Firefox user. There is an extension called "Nuke Everything Enhanced". It lets you highlight something on a web page and "hide" it.

For stories, you can highlight the story itself and choose to hide everything that is NOT highlighted. Then when you save or print it it only retains the stuff you choose. It doesn't reformat the page, just hides the stuff you don't want.

You can use it to isolate stories from the background, I've also used it on maps/directions when I want to hide the extra stuff so that it will fit on one the page.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Thanks, it's great for exporting web pages for later reading on a liseuse.
I just tested it with wikipedia, it does a nice job.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Thank you Gideon. I didn't know that bookmarklet. It does really a good job.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
maidavale
You folks stay classy.
maidavale is on a distinguished road

Device: Anything w/ Pixel Qi (c. 2010 4Q)
Readability is amazing, I've been using it for few weeks now. Allow me to offer other "readability" tips (that pertains to LCD monitors, especially concerning eye strains)as well:

-Readability alternative - Readable-app - I prefer Readability because of its text flow formatting (i.e. when you resize your browser horizontally, the text doesn't overflow and you don't get a horizontal scroll bar... btw in general, when it comes to this issue, I find Chrome to be superior than other browsers including Firefox). Guess I like small-columned paragraphs with wide, wide margins. However, Readable-app offers more styling options that may suit your liking.

-Fonts - A general rule is Sans-serif fonts such as Verdana for electronic displays

-Colours - Personally, I find light-coloured text on dark background easier to read (esp. in a low-light setting). You may relate if you find terminal screens with black background with green/white texts easier on your eyes. For my browser, I use the same teal-like colour used in sites such as Ask MetaFilter for background and a very light-green hue for texts (the key is to get a nice contrast). Inverting colours on your OS is another solution
  • Windows - "Alt" + "Shift" + "PrtScn" (although some people might not like this very much b/c it changes GUI/theme for your Windows)
  • OS X - "Ctrl" + "Option" + "Apple" + 8
  • Linux - ?

-Larger-sized fonts for your browser... obviously

While I assume many people here already know all these given the nature of this forum, I certainly hope the info. comes across as new for others. Cheers.

Last edited by maidavale; 06-22-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Waht's a sepillng?
maidavale is offline   Reply With Quote