Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
triviadave
triviadave began at the beginning.

Device: None (yet)
Question Worst Review Ever?

I have just watched a video review of the new Cool-er reader on the Telegraph website (www.telegraph.co.uk), and I have to say it is one of the worst reviews I have ever seen. It is reviewing a device for British consumers and compares it with only two devices, the iRex Iliad and the Kindle, one which is far higher specced (and priced) than the item being reviewed, and the other not being available in the UK, the review doesn't mention useability or even the diret competition to the Cool-er, i.e. the Sony PRS-505, the BeBook or any other similar readers out there.
I have looked on the Telegraph website for somewhere to leave feedback for them, but failed to find anything, but thought I would warn people of the review and also ask if anyone else has seen a particularly bad, ill-informed or otherwise useless review of an ebook reader. I have been looking to buy a reader for some time, but now find myself not knowing whether I can trust so called "professional" reviews.
Conversely, if anyone knows of any particularly good reviews of any readers (ideally available in the UK, or importable without loosing functionality) I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Dave
triviadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Can't be worse than the review by the guy for the NYT when his most stinging critique is that it is made in Taiwan when his beloved Kindle is made in (ugggh) China.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Can't be worse than the review by the guy for the NYT when his most stinging critique is that it is made in Taiwan when his beloved Kindle is made in (ugggh) China.
Seriously, he did that?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Yes, he did. And remember, the Kindle is made by a Taiwanese company's factory in China -- they go there for producing their low end products with cheap labor. A worker in Taiwan makes about 1000-1500 USD a month, in China they get 100-200.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:41 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by triviadave View Post
Conversely, if anyone knows of any particularly good reviews of any readers (ideally available in the UK, or importable without loosing functionality) I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Dave
Personally, I've yet to find one reviewer that doesn't only compare the reader with the Kindle. Some might bring the Sony in, but only as a remark. I've seen the same in Dutch reviews, comparing the reader with the Kindle, while that's not even (officially) available. And even if you get one (via ebay for example), you won't even be able to make use of the functionality they all praise so much in the Kindle (whispernet).

If you browse to the top of this forum, you'll find a sticky with 4 readers compared. That's one comparison that I like. No talk, just pictures...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I wouldn't say that was his most stinging critique. He spent much more time on the stiff buttons and cumbersome UI.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
Dave, try using this link in Question 2 and leave a comment for the editorial staff. Occasionally they review equipment, toys, gadgets whatever euphemism you want to apply, and fail miserably to understand their useage or benefits.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/ab...Editorial.html
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #8
triviadave
triviadave began at the beginning.

Device: None (yet)
Thanks everyone.

I liked the review of 4 readers together, and it led me to Mos' review of the PRS-700 which I think I will order in the next few days, just got to find the best way to get it over to these shores. I also found some other reviews that make me appreciate the first review I saw a lot more. I think that's a good thing, but I'm not sure.

Lycoming, thanks for the link. I am now trying to find the best way to phrase my comments.
triviadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I wouldn't say that was his most stinging critique. He spent much more time on the stiff buttons and cumbersome UI.
I think it was the way he said it. Like an 18-year old valley girl. "OMG do you see what she's wearing!?"

Actually his most stinging rebuke was that you can't read Harry Potter if you were to buy this device-but doesn't actually mention that you can't get Harry Potter for any device.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
I have just watched a video review of the new Cool-er reader on the Telegraph website (www.telegraph.co.uk), and I have to say it is one of the worst reviews I have ever seen. It is reviewing a device for British consumers and compares it with only two devices, the iRex Iliad and the Kindle, one which is far higher specced (and priced) than the item being reviewed, and the other not being available in the UK, the review doesn't mention useability or even the diret competition to the Cool-er, i.e. the Sony PRS-505, the BeBook or any other similar readers out there.
I have looked on the Telegraph website for somewhere to leave feedback for them, but failed to find anything, but thought I would warn people of the review and also ask if anyone else has seen a particularly bad, ill-informed or otherwise useless review of an ebook reader. I have been looking to buy a reader for some time, but now find myself not knowing whether I can trust so called "professional" reviews.

Cheers,

Dave
There's another thread around here somewhere about that particular review, and honestly, the review was a piece of crap. Granted, I probably wouldn't want that particular device, but a lot of what the review said was just nonsensical. As I pointed out in that earlier thread, and as was pointed out here, it's especially stupid to show a search for any of the Harry Potter books as your proof that the library is limited. If you can't find the book for any device, then the point is moot.

Since you are in the UK .... I would suggest that you PM Harry, or Lazy Scot, or any of the many UK members that are here, and get their views on readers. They can give you the best advice, well, better than a diehard Kindle owner from Texas anyway.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:

Cheers,

Dave
As with movie reviews, if the critic slamms the movie I tend to go and see it as they get it 99% wrong (for my taste) - or are probably paid to either promote or demote a particular movie. The NYT review seems very slanted, and the Telegraph review is bollocks.

Going on this logic, I should order the Cool-er because I'll probably love it

But seriously, the iPod rip-off design is appealing, even though the round button is not really an iPod spin-wheel control. But still, the reader is relatively cheap, looks nice (choice of colours, iPod look, etc.) and handles the basic formats for me (ePub, TXT, FB2) - although I would really like a Mobi reader included but perhaps that will come later.

What I would like to see posted is someone's review who's actually bought one or has had the use of one to really see how a reader finds the device. Still waiting...
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote