Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
2 more Kindle 2 stories: USA Today and PC World

USA Today's Ed Baig review, and a PC World story on Cost-Justifying the Kindle 2.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
In the second article, his math is bad. How can $16 be the average of paperbacks in bestsellers?

Also, I think it's funny he thinks and avid reader buys two books a month.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
yep

Of course avid readers only read 2 books a month... I find it doubtful that this person reads books terribly often. Though it would be interesting to find out what the people on this forum think is a an avid reader. I would say someone who reads more than 2 books a week? Someone whose librarian knows their first name?

$16 a book? Maybe he is talking about trade paperbacks? Which do tend to be more expensive than a regular pback. Or maybe he only reads technical manuals which are more spendy.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Of course avid readers only read 2 books a month... I find it doubtful that this person reads books terribly often. Though it would be interesting to find out what the people on this forum think is a an avid reader. I would say someone who reads more than 2 books a week? Someone whose librarian knows their first name?

$16 a book? Maybe he is talking about trade paperbacks? Which do tend to be more expensive than a regular pback. Or maybe he only reads technical manuals which are more spendy.

Amy
Even for trade paperbacks a $16 average is pretty hefty. But technical, yes that would be about right.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I just did a quick search of Amazon (UK) and the hardbacks come out at around £10 - 15 (roughly) which equates to around $14 - 17. A lot of them are reduced from RRP at £19 or thereabouts ($27) I checked the same books on Amazon.com and they're roughly the same price.

Maybe he's onto something with the $16 average.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert