Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
idum
idum began at the beginning.

Device: HTC
New and future ereader from Italy. Sony or V3 or..?

Hi all, i'm writing from Italy.
I'm a great reader and in the last year, an ereader via PDA. It is a good device for reading, but not perfect for several reasons.

So i've decided to buy an ereader. Those are the request:

1) support for pdf, diju, prc (mobipocket)
2) possibility to see (landscape mode) nicely a rich-of graphic pdf, even if not "coloured"
3) not very costly

I've readed something in this forum, and if i understand well, i have to select from Sony and V3 and clones.

What do you suggest it is better? and why?

Thanks in advance
Ido
idum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Hi there Ido, and welcome.

Displaying graphic-rich A4 PDF's on a 6" device is always very difficult. I know for a fact that the Hanlin v3 and derivatives can display PDF in landscape, but they aren't always perfectly readable (due to font size and sometimes erroneous rendering of graphics et cetera)
The v3/BeBook/lBook/... does support pdf, djvu, ePub, lit (non-drm), ppt, txt and many more, and will support Mobipocket very very soon. It also has complete nested folder support.

I haven't got any experience with the Sony reader, so I can't comment on that one.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #3
idum

Thanks for your answer. Another question on your V3: it have some sort of illumination as needing or it need always of a light source (as abook)?

And where do you have buyed your device? I have actually only the link from "professor" that point at chinese shop, and... uhm.. well, not so affidable at a first look.

thanks in advance for the help
Old 09-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are displaying graphics, the Sony is currently the best of the 6" screen readers. It does display 8 shades where all the rest only display 4 shades and the Sony does very nice dithering with those 8 shades.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:01 AM   #5
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idum View Post
Thanks for your answer. Another question on your V3: it have some sort of illumination as needing or it need always of a light source (as abook)?
Like with a book, you need an external light source.

Quote:
And where do you have buyed your device? I have actually only the link from "professor" that point at chinese shop, and... uhm.. well, not so affidable at a first look.
I'm aware of two online shops in the EU selling the V3: iscriptum.eu from Estonia has all kinds of kits where they sell V3's with some nice accessories. Apollo XXI from Spain is where I bought mine. Their customer support is quite good in my experience, and if you don't want the accessories offered by iscriptum.eu, their price for a V3 R2 (V3 ext on the iscriptum site) is slightly better.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 04:05 AM   #6
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:

thanks in advance for the help
As Gudy mentioned, you always need an external light-source with E-ink displays.

I bought my device directly from BeBook; if it's cheaper or not depends on your location I guess.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
As Gudy mentioned, you always need an external light-source with E-ink displays.

I bought my device directly from BeBook; if it's cheaper or not depends on your location I guess.
Not to mention the fact that they shipped the BeBook EXTREMELY fast, I had it in my hand 4 days after I ordered it, shipped from the Netherlands to Sweden with priority mail.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Eh, you consider 4 days inside Europe "fast"? Just today I've got some CDs from Japan which took just a bit above 24 hours going by the shipping notice email - that's what I call fast The bizarre thing is that it wasn't any kind of express service but simple airmail, while EMS usually takes 3 to 7 days.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Hi!

In www.papyre.es they are selling the Papyre 6.1 (aka Hanlin V3) for 299€. This includes VAT and shipping in Spain... I don't know if they ship to Italy and the cost in this case.

Maybe you should call them and ask! They are very, very kind, and I received my ereader in less than 24 hours. They are in Granada and I am in the opposite corner of Spain!.

Regards,

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:08 AM   #10
idum

Thanks all for the help.
I will deeply consider to buy the V3 in the next days.
Ido