Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #31
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Why am I not surprised that HarryT has the latest and greatest?!!

I personally go for the most recent technology unless price is an issue or you have a specific need.

That said, if you primarily read text, you will likely be perfectly happy with the PW2. If you prefer buttons over touch screen, then the Voyager is a better option. Even though it doesn't have buttons, you have a space off screen to change pages.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:09 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Why am I not surprised that HarryT has the latest and greatest?!!

I personally go for the most recent technology unless price is an issue or you have a specific need.

That said, if you primarily read text, you will likely be perfectly happy with the PW2. If you prefer buttons over touch screen, then the Voyager is a better option. Even though it doesn't have buttons, you have a space off screen to change pages.
I have both a Voyage and a PW2, so I am able to directly compare them. The screen of the Voyage is just so much better than that of the PW2.

The "haptic sensors" of the Voyage (ie page turn buttons) work very well, and I also far prefer the flush screen - there are no distracting shadows cast by the bezel onto the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #33
NorthernReader
NorthernReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (2014)
I have exchanged the Paperwhite two times now and this third one's screen is even worse...

(First one had one annoying pinhole, second a very visible hair, third one one very annoying pinhole and one less annoying and the fourth one doesn't have these problems)

Last edited by NorthernReader; 01-05-2015 at 01:55 PM.
NorthernReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernReader View Post
I have exchanged the Paperwhite two times now and this third one is even worse...
Move on and find something else to read on. Not many people are unhappy with the PW, but it's clearly not the device for you.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #35
NorthernReader

The first one had a bright spot. The second one had an hair in the screen and now the third one has two bright spots of which one is very bright.
Advert
Old 01-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #36
NorthernReader

Today I got it exchanged again. I had the option of a refund, but I really feel like I will like this device so I got another one and I think this one is good.

Being able to see the light beams on higher light levels when looking at black areas of the display is normal I suppose? And little gaps in the corners of the device's bezel?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Today I got it exchanged again. I had the option of a refund, but I really feel like I will like this device so I got another one and I think this one is good.

Being able to see the light beams on higher light levels when looking at black areas of the display is normal I suppose? And little gaps in the corners of the device's bezel?

You need to go with a different company.

While the majority of purchasers enjoy their Kindle ebook readers, I think - at this point - you would be far happier with something other than a Kindle.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

The brighter you have the light turned up, the brighter the screen will be. Set the light to the lowest level that allows you to clearly read the text.

Not sure what you mean by "little gaps". Do you mean gaps between the top and bottom halves of the case?

Might be easier to post a photograph illustrating the issue.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #39
NorthernReader

Actually I am quite happy with my PW2 right now.

Just wondering what is normal and what is less normal. The light beams I see are only visible when the screen is black (like the Kindle hill) and they are like disco lights/lines. (More visible when tilting the device)

The gaps are between the smooth/hard plastic and the rubbery back. (Around the corners)

Really enjoying my first e-book reader. Wouldn't know about a company with higher quality/QA anyway. Just a bit troublesome (travel costs) that I had to exchange it four times before getting an for me acceptable product. The bright spots were really distracting.

The official case is very nice as well. Nice quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have both a Voyage and a PW2, so I am able to directly compare them. The screen of the Voyage is just so much better than that of the PW2.
Is it just sharper or is there more improvement over the PW2? Like more even light etc.?

Last edited by NorthernReader; 01-05-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The LEDs that illuminate the screen are along the bottom edge. They are visible if you tilt the PW and look at the bottom of the screen. That's entirely normal.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #41
NorthernReader

I hope you can see it like this. Is this normal? Also a bit visible when not tilted, but then it's more like three larger beams.

This is at 25.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0284.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	133391   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0285.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	133392  

Last edited by NorthernReader; 01-05-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:14 PM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, those are the lighting LEDs. Entirely normal. You'll probably only see them if you have the light on a high setting in a dark room, right? That's not a setting you'd use in normal usage.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #43
NorthernReader

Thank you for your answer. Yeah, I only notice them when I crank up the brightness, otherwise they are more like beams.

Didn't notice it on the first KPW2, but maybe because I returned it quickly.

Tags
kindle, kobo, pw2, voyage