Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #91
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
A Christmas category is not concerning; what caused me to post definitively in favour of a change if it wins (and it is still behind) is the resistance to the idea.

Many posts have mentioned that it's "not really an issue" or "no big deal" to them. Ok...then why the resistance to changing it, if it's no big deal?

I think maybe some are responding to JSWolf in particular, but at this point it's about the idea, not about him. I don't even think it's "religious" per se; it's more cultural. Christmas is dominant at that time of year, but there are other holidays important to people in the same "season". That people are arguing that we should exclude those holidays "just because" is what I find concerning, especially since Christmas is so dominant.

What is so threatening about allowing the other holidays in? If it will make even just one person who likes to complain a lot feel a little better, then what's the harm? We all know it will still be mostly Christmas nominations anyway. Why is there so much resistance to allowing other holidays in the spirit of inclusion? I'll say this - trying to keep it solely a Christmas category is very un-Christmas-like, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
We are inclusive. Everyone could have nominated "Books about jewish holidays" or "Books about religious holidays all over the world" or "Books about religious holidays other than Christian holidays". But no one did. So, why should we introduce the change after completing the poll?
Because it's the right thing to do.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #92
jemc
Quietly Lurking...
jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jemc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, iDevices, others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
And mine. I think most of us understand what is going on here, and we should probably all just stop giving it any more oxygen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Third.
Fourth.
jemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #93
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
What is so threatening about allowing the other holidays in?
Nothing. That's why I said I'd be happy for any holiday observance to be nominated.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #94
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Festivus!
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote