Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
1st generation Kindle's and the affect on the battery
The battery in the 1st gen Kindle can be replaced. Now whether the additional cost is worth it to the OP, I cannot say. Also, I cannot say if not having KF8 is a deal breaker or not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
See my edit, up to your last post, yes I had read your posts.

I almost fell of my chair when I read your last reply to Hitesh1, you've hidden your anti-Kindleness!

Do you feel unclean now?!
The reason I wasn't suggesting anything to do with Amazon was because the OP originally didn't say if a Kindle would do. All he had listed were ePub capable readers.
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #48
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
No when the original poster eventually mentioned a Kindle you then dismissed it...... why am I bothering?!? You've already had the argument with someone else. It's very weak, and since your dislike of Amazon is so apparent, it just makes your argument on it even weaker. So in that case, I'll not waste either of our time by arguing with you about it. Ok?

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #49
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitesh1 View Post
5 inch would work too but right now want to focus on 6''
Just want to point out that one of the reasons there is still so much love around for the Sony 350 is the amazing screen. It's so crisp that you can often use a slightly smaller font on it, and therefor make it comparable (or better) than most non-pearl 6" devices. A Sony 350 probably has pretty much the same amount of text as the old Kobos. Especially if you install PRS+ software that allows you to put your own CSS on the device.
I started out with a Sony PRS600 that I sold almost immidiately in favour of a 350 because the screen was so much better on the 350. I still use the 350 when travelling or going to appointments when I may have to sit and wait!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #50
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm also very partial to Nooks. I checked eBay and used Simple Touches sometimes go very reasonably (around $50). Great devices in my opinion.
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I'm also very partial to Nooks. I checked eBay and used Simple Touches sometimes go very reasonably (around $50). Great devices in my opinion.
But doesn't the nook have to be registered with B&N? That's not possible in India.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #52
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But doesn't the nook have to be registered with B&N? That's not possible in India.
Oh yes it is!
You just need to put in an e-mail address during registration process. Valid or fake. No personal data is required. No credit card just to register. It's perfectly possible to have a BN account for us foreigners as well, we just can't buy books from BN.
I'm in Sweden and both I, family and friends have or have had different varieties of Nook.

Last edited by Asawi; 02-24-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #53
Hitesh1
Enthusiast
Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C; Kindle Paperwhite 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Just want to point out that one of the reasons there is still so much love around for the Sony 350 is the amazing screen. It's so crisp that you can often use a slightly smaller font on it, and therefor make it comparable (or better) than most non-pearl 6" devices. A Sony 350 probably has pretty much the same amount of text as the old Kobos. Especially if you install PRS+ software that allows you to put your own CSS on the device.
I started out with a Sony PRS600 that I sold almost immediately in favour of a 350 because the screen was so much better on the 350. I still use the 350 when traveling or going to appointments when I may have to sit and wait!
So reading on a 5'' can be better than 6'' if screen is good ?
In that case a PRS-350 can be better than a n647,kindle 1st,2nd gen etc, right ?

Btw is there any website from where we can buy ebooks and avoid all these registering hassles ? (noob question? )

Nook simple touch Used
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barnes-Noble...item5d3ad3e593
This is a good deal I guess

Well I still have not decided what to buy, but have decided what not to buy.
Sony- Anything previous than prs-650 (950,600,300 etc)
Kindle - 1st and 2nd gen
Nook - 1st edition
Kobo - N647 (have a feeling that Kobo will soon be out of the race altogether)

One more thing, is there any site other than ebay for such stuff ?
Hitesh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #54
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Hitesh - excuse me for being blunt but if you can't read a listing enough to judge who is or isn't a good seller or what is or isn't a good item to buy, and by that I mean is this junk for parts or a good item, not just whether you will like it or not, then you shouldn't be buying on eBay. You're going to get ripped off and end up buying junk.

That last listing for instance, for the Nook, is only available to buyers in the US. You're in India.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #55
Hitesh1
Enthusiast
Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitesh1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you talking about the link I posted. I double checked everything - seller's rep (30k+), product condition (can't seem to find any flaw, would request more pics though before buying), product description is also good enough
If you are talking about my previous links than at that time I posted a deal of every product I came across. I was quite confused at that time. Spend 20$ or 60$ ? Used,rebrush.. or new ? Which brand ? Would battery would trouble a lot ? and many more questions

Last edited by Hitesh1; 02-24-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: silly mistake; had written buyer instead of seller :p
Old 02-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #56
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
That last listing for instance, for the Nook, is only available to buyers in the US. You're in India.
OP stated in an earlier post that they would use a mail forwarding service from USA. As many of us non-US people do.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #57
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Nook simple touch Used
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barnes-Noble...item5d3ad3e593
This is a good deal I guess
It's a fair deal, but nothing special. Hang around a while and check listings to get an idea of good/bad deals.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #58
Hitesh1
Enthusiast

Yeah, will be buying after 3-4 weeks. Plenty of time to gain experience.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Sony- Anything previous than prs-650 (950,600,300 etc)
Kindle - 1st and 2nd gen
Nook - 1st edition
Kobo - N647 (have a feeling that Kobo will soon be out of the race altogether)

One more thing, is there any site other than ebay for such stuff ?
The Sony PRS-950 is the same generation reader as the 650.

If you do want a nook STR, I do suggest buying one brand new.

I also suggest you post in the fleamarket and maybe someone will have a device for sale that will do. You have a good change of getting a decent used Reader on MR if one is available for sale.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #60
Hitesh1
Enthusiast

Oops yes same gen but still out of race.

And yes will look at the fleamarket tomorrow(umm today, its 2A.M. right now )