Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
vomov
Member Retired
vomov began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 912
Converting CBR to... whatever, as long as it's readable

I've recently been given a Pocketbook Pro 912, which so far performed absolutely brilliant.

However, I've not found a way to properly display CBR's (rar's with jpeg's inside them) on the device. I've tried unpacking them, which leads to a whole lot of jpegs which aren't zoomable (which I find odd). I've tried converting them with Calibre, which took a long time and resulted in a significant (factor eight) increase in size, which the device then didn't display at all.

So, before I waste anymore time with pointless converting, I'll ask my question here:
What's a good way to get comics in CBR format to display on an e-reader, such as the Pocketbook 912? Converting, unpacking, custom apps, any tip is welcome!
Also, I'll admit that even while I did look at the forums, I only used the search function for a couple of minutes before giving up, so if there's a thread out there, please point me to it. Also, calling me lazy at that point is quite justified.
vomov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Probably because it wasn't designed to view comic books. Why do you ask? Does it normally zoom images from ePub files?
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
vomov
Member Retired

But the reviews all say its suitable for comics... Which isn't really an argument, though.

I've owned a Foxit Eslick which I did use for comics through unpacking the CBR (or CBZ) into a folder, and the Eslick performed quite nicely. Rotating, zooming, and going to the next picture all worked good, but the resolution (something like 800x600) was minimal, which resulted in a lot of zooming. The Pocketbook 912 has a higher resolution (1200x825), and thus should work better.

It doesn't have CBR or CBZ capabilities, which is somewhat normal, I guess.
But when placing a set of pictures in a folder (JPEG) it displays them quite good, but zooming is somehow disabled, which makes for some pictures being displayed in only the middle 1/3 of the screen, like if you rotate a landscape picture on a landscape monitor 90 degrees. Zooming in a PDF, epub, etc. is supported, and works quite nicely.

So, I thought about converting it to pdf or the like, which hasn't yielded anything good. Hence my question
Old 02-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
vomov
Member Retired

Lightbulb

Okay, I might've found a solution, or at least something that works.

A friend asked me why I didn't use ComicRack for viewing comics, which is PC-based. When he showed me how it worked, I noticed an 'export books'-option, which has the capability to export to PDF (and DjVu, but that resulted in a factor 10 size increase). While it is awefully slow to convert, and has a tendency to create pages just a bit larger than the screen of the Pocketbook, resulting in a lot of scrolling, it does work.

Simply said, I connected the Pocketbook, selected a set of comics (Berserk), and asked it to export the books with a custom profile, which is set to put the converted files directly on the Pocketbook (H:, in my case). After about an hour I was able to enjoy Berserk on my Pocketbook.

If anyone knows of an alternative, though, that'd be much appreciated.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
vomov
Member Retired

Thumbs down

I'm at the point of slapping myself for laziness: complete solution is the "homebrew program for viewing image archives".
Link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162852

Could someone remove this thread?
Advert

Tags
cbr, comics, convert