Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
It's a separate issue what something looks like on both screens at the same physical size, but since you're so interested here you are. I made the text the same physical size on the Sony and the jetBook (or as close as I could), and kept the camera distance and zoom setting the same. Click to zoom in.
Yes, that was what I was meaning. Thanks for the pics!

I am not sure, but I think there is a slighlty coloured edge on the letters of the JetBook. This could suggest that in BW mode all subpixels are being used as if the filter wasn't there and in normal viewing you won't notice the edges.

Furthermore the microscope shots on the italian forum reveal a trick used: every second line of filtered pixels is shifted one subpixel to the side, so you can achieve a black pixel of any four blackend subpixels grouped in a square. There is some noncoloured space between the filters too which helps getting things higher contrast in BW, but gives lower colour saturation.

So all that being said, I think the jetBook can indeed retain the 1600x1200 resolution in BW mode and even something better than 800x600 in colour mode, with smart filter layout and perhaps a little "cheating".

The downside is the visibly lower overal contrast of the whole screen. Will need good lightning for comfortable reading.
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
Yes, that was what I was meaning. Thanks for the pics!

I am not sure, but I think there is a slighlty coloured edge on the letters of the JetBook. This could suggest that in BW mode all subpixels are being used as if the filter wasn't there and in normal viewing you won't notice the edges.
Yep, I think that's exactly what they do, and as you say it can result in a one pixel wide colour fringe on a black to white transition. But given that you can see the colour filters across the whole screen anyway the colour fringing isn't noticeable. It's really quite clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
The downside is the visibly lower overal contrast of the whole screen. Will need good lightning for comfortable reading.
Look at it positively - its E-Ink and I'm looking forward to reading comics by (or even in with a waterproof case) the swimming pool.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
[/CODE]

At least that's what I think is going on. Good as my camera is for a point and shoot I still haven't quite resolved the sub-pixels properly yet. I need to try a super macro close up, but then lighting gets difficult.
Andrew
Just try to take a picture with a magnifying glass, no need for expensive lenses :-)
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #19
eBookLuke
Writer2ePub creator
eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.eBookLuke knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Cybook Bebook iLiad Kindle HanlinV2 Readius SonyPRS500 SonyPRS700 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
May be Italian is not your language, but if you are interested in Jetbook Color screen technology (e-ink triton) you can see an very interesting analysis on:

http://forum.simplicissimus.it/altro...-microspcopio/

AM
Hi,

please note that the analysis I done was performed on an early Triton prototype. Maybe the production Triton can differ from the tested one.
Unfortunately the prototype I tested wad a non-working unit, so the image was a still image.
This is an almost white portion of the display:

Luke

Last edited by eBookLuke; 02-08-2012 at 01:05 AM.
eBookLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jetBook Color screen at 400x

Here we go, my first attempt with a shiny new USB microscope. This shows the intersection of a one pixel diagonal line and a one pixel horizontal line. You can clearly see the driver uses individual sub-pixels for black, giving a slight colour fringe from the "left over" sub-pixels of each 2x2 block that are set at white.

Many more pictures to come I'm sure when I get the hang of it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2 lines 400x.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	82326
(click to embiggen...)

Andrew
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #21
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

interesting!

On the earlier triton model you had the diagonal pixel setup, on the picture you sent there's a vertical pixel lineup, which is better for text).

Each pixel switches between their color and black. The 4 colors are rgb and white.

Which means the jetbook's strength actually lies in displaying black, and it's weakness in displaying color.

I presume a white back ground is all pixels in 'open' position (meaning not black)?

And what happens when you eg want to see a blue screen (00,00,ff), how does it display that color? (I presume by closing red and green, and leaving white and blue open)?

Also interested to know what would happen when one of the pixels would be half open (eg displaying a darker or lighter blue (color 88,88,ff ; and 00,00,88),how would those look?

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-08-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #22
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
interesting!

On the earlier triton model you had the diagonal pixel setup, on the picture you sent there's a vertical pixel lineup, which is better for text).
The rows are still staggered - I just happened to pick a bad selection which hides the fact a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I presume a white back ground is all pixels in 'open' position (meaning not black)?

And what happens when you eg want to see a blue screen (00,00,ff), how does it display that color? (I presume by closing red and green, and leaving white and blue open)?

Also interested to know what would happen when one of the pixels would be half open (eg displaying a darker or lighter blue (color 88,88,ff ; and 00,00,88),how would those look?
Believe me I want to try all sorts of things - solid colours, colour boundaries, black text, coloured text etc. Unfortunately I have to eat and sleep so I might not be able to post any more pictures until tomorrow.

One thing I do find interesting is how black the black is - if only they could lighten the areas that are supposed to be white and still have colour capability.

Andrew

Last edited by andyh2000; 02-08-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I suppose it's either this way, or have each pixel switch between white and color. In such case your whitest white will be white, but also your darkest black will be somewhere around light grey.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #24
melajara
melajara began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook color, Kindle DX Gen 3, Kindle Gen 3, Nook simple Touch
Hello,

Nice review.

Me too I'm interested in acquiring a color Jetbook to read technical pdf and research papers.

Could you try this one
http://www.plosbiology.org/article/f...esentation=PDF

and report how the jetBook is handling this 2 columns document with colored diagrams (e.g. page 7). Besides, could you show us how the Jetbook is handling the same document with pure b/w text (e.g. page 9)

Thanks
melajara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #25
netboy
Enthusiast
netboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watchnetboy is clearly one to watch

Device: prs-505, prs-950, irex dr800sg
Just got my Jetbook color so I thought I would help too. I loaded the pdf in the above post and the text is small. It is readable but it is the absolute smallest and it is a strain to read. You can zoom in but the whole zoom functions seems slow and clunky to me. Colors look fine. Best way I can explain the colors is that it looks like how color ink is printed in newspapers. Just my quick $.02 before I leave computer the day. Sorry for the blurry pic, was in a hurry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20120209_161940.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	522.7 KB
ID:	82385
netboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #26
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by netboy View Post
Just got my Jetbook color so I thought I would help too. I loaded the pdf in the above post and the text is small. It is readable but it is the absolute smallest and it is a strain to read. You can zoom in but the whole zoom functions seems slow and clunky to me. Colors look fine. Best way I can explain the colors is that it looks like how color ink is printed in newspapers. Just my quick $.02 before I leave computer the day. Sorry for the blurry pic, was in a hurry.

Attachment 82385
I think I recognise that - it's the one about reconstructing sounds from electrical signals in someone's brain isn't it? I tried that on my jetBook too - the colour diagrams were surprisingly good, and if I remember correctly the text was OK if you cut the margins off the PDF first (using something like Acrobat or Briss).

I'll try and take a decent photo of it tonight if someone hasn't beaten me to it.

Andrew
Old 02-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #27
melajara

Excellent, thanks netboy and andyh2000

Indeed, this is the article explaining how a telepathic interface could be constructed, some day, LOL

My point was to see how colors were rendered, seems good to me

Besides, it was also to compare pure black and white documents with a pdf page containing color. My understanding is that the color filter is applied only to the surface containing a color to render (hypothesis can be checked against pure b/w pages e.g. page 9 of the aforementioned pdf document).
So on the other parts (black and white or up to 16 shades of gray) the color filter should be transparent thus achieving a full 1600x1200 resolution on the not colored surface, ie the text).

As for zooming in and out, it seems that the forthcoming iPad 3 (available next month(?) with its 2048 x 1536 retina display will be the best, but not for outdoor reading.

So probably I'll end up with both devices, one for day light the other one for nocturnal study ;-)
Old 02-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #28
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by melajara View Post
Besides, it was also to compare pure black and white documents with a pdf page containing color. My understanding is that the color filter is applied only to the surface containing a color to render (hypothesis can be checked against pure b/w pages e.g. page 9 of the aforementioned pdf document).
So on the other parts (black and white or up to 16 shades of gray) the color filter should be transparent thus achieving a full 1600x1200 resolution on the not colored surface, ie the text).
I'm afraid not. As you can see in my post #20 above (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=20) the "white" background area still has the colour filters - they can't turn transparent (unfortunately). Admittedly to the naked eye they're pretty small but they still contribute to the background looking grey or speckled depending on how good your eyesight is.

Andrew
Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #29
melajara

If what you say is true, then a page containing a text with a tiny colored image would look worse than the same text from a page without the colored image, could you confirm this?

Color is not essential to me but crisp text from 2 columns research papers produced from LaTeX are the main rationale for this purchase.

Of course, there is still the Onyx Boox M92 and the Hanvon WiseReader E920 to consider, do you know if those are substantially better than the Ectaco color JetBook when rendering b/w documents?
Old 02-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #30
andyh2000
Avid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by melajara View Post
If what you say is true, then a page containing a text with a tiny colored image would look worse than the same text from a page without the colored image, could you confirm this?.
No, they look exactly the same. As good (or bad) as each other.

Andrew