Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 11-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #16
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
And I join in with everybody else in saying:

Thank you

to all the uploaders for all the hard work you have put into this project.

Also, regarding the question of servers. Wouldn't it be cheaper to use bittorrent protocol to upload and host books. This way Mobileread server would be just one seeder out of many. While 2000 books maybe not that much of a burden on the server, what will happen when book count will reach 20,000?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #17
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
A Wonderful Bent
----------------------------

Bent over a clay tablet punching it with a stylus . . .
Bent over a piece of parchment scractching it with pen and ink . . .
Bent over a type tray fixing a lead letter . . .
Bent over a computer inserting a ditigital file into a conversion program . . .

A long and very honorable tradition.

(I hope not too sacarin, but what I believe)
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #18
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think he's right. The current list system is at the limits of its functionality. There are several authors with 40+ titles. We need a catalog system of some kind (with an index by author, subject, title).
I am all up for suggestions

I am not so much worried about server capacities. Downloads require bandwidth, but not so much CPU capacity. Bandwidth is not a problem as long as we can expand. And should there be a limit, we can also add new servers.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #19
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
I am all up for suggestions

I am not so much worried about server capacities. Downloads require bandwidth, but not so much CPU capacity. Bandwidth is not a problem as long as we can expand. And should there be a limit, we can also add new servers.
I can't give any suggestions because I don't know what index software systems are out there. Is there a developers forum where you can ask the question: "What indexers will interface with my forum format?"

I am willing to volunteer a couple hours a week to fill the index with the existing books.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #20
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
This calls for extra karma all around.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can't give any suggestions because I don't know what index software systems are out there. Is there a developers forum where you can ask the question: "What indexers will interface with my forum format?"

I am willing to volunteer a couple hours a week to fill the index with the existing books.
Thanks Nate. I'll come back to your offer
Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I goofed on the question. What we need is some kind of document management system (DMS) or content management system (CMS). Here are a few possibilities:

http://www.opendocman.com/
http://www.epiware.com/
http://www.knowledgetree.com/

CMS info source: (Look here first!)
http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php

There is a good chance that the last link will have something that will work for us.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:47 AM   #23
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Thanks for the links, Nate. I am looking at them right now.

While each of the tools has its individual advantages, I believe neither is particularly useful for our purposes. Note that a CMS can be any kind of software tool made to manage content. Our Wiki, for example, is also some of kind of CMS.

I have another suggestion: We extend the features in our forum, allowing users to enter various metadata along each thread of book uploads. Metadata can include author name, book title, publishing date, etc. We can then use this metadata to enhance our e-book download repository. It would mean more "hand work", but it would better integrate with the rest of this side and it would keep it as lean as possible.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #24
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Entering the metadata was one of the things I had in mind when I posted this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14754

You know, the main thing that prevents me from being recognized for my genius is a really bad habit of expressing a thought before I complete it.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #25
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
You know, the main thing that prevents me from being recognized for my genius is a really bad habit of expressing a thought before I complete it.
*GRIN*