Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
nerdtype
nerdtype began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
English-Chinese Dictionary for Kindle

Hello.

I just bought a Kindle and am looking for an English to Chinese (simplified) dictionary. I want to be able to highlight an English word in an eBook/PDF and have the translated Chinese word appear at the bottom. I've searched for an English to Chinese dictionary but can't seem to find one through Kindle store or through other forums. I tried downloading some but the links were dead.

Does anybody know of an English to Chinese dictionary (mobi file) that can be downloaded or a way to create one manually? Furthermore, it would be great if that dictionary could be set as the default dictionary in my Kindle?

I'm new to using the Kindle so any help is appreciated. Thanks!
nerdtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
keypurse
keypurse began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile

sorry, I dont know. You learn Chinese or English?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtype View Post
Hello.

I just bought a Kindle and am looking for an English to Chinese (simplified) dictionary. I want to be able to highlight an English word in an eBook/PDF and have the translated Chinese word appear at the bottom. I've searched for an English to Chinese dictionary but can't seem to find one through Kindle store or through other forums. I tried downloading some but the links were dead.

Does anybody know of an English to Chinese dictionary (mobi file) that can be downloaded or a way to create one manually? Furthermore, it would be great if that dictionary could be set as the default dictionary in my Kindle?

keypurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
nerdtype

I'm learning Chinese. It would be nice to highlight reading material and check the associated Chinese definition for it.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If you have technical skills you could try the following:

1. Get the free dictionary CC-CEDICT Chinese English dictionary file
2. Reverse the order of the entries and convert it to a tab delimited file
3. Convert the tab delimited file with tab2opf.py to a mobi source file and then compile it (see this website for more information)

Or simply check out the Chinese Duokan distro for the Kindle. :-)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #5
nerdtype

I finally got it working.

This website has the dictionary available for download.

http://mrhaoji.com/blog/resources-for-kindle.html

I tried it on my Kindle 3 and it works great. Make sure to follow website and configure for Chinese language as well. Otherwise you will see squares in the translation.
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtype View Post
Hello.

Here are lots of english-english & english-chinese dictionary for download, not sure about the legality of it though, so your call
http://www.douban.com/note/133902340/
google translate page: http://translate.google.com/translat...2F133902340%2F
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:17 AM   #7
egreat
egreat began at the beginning.

I am a Chinese. Thanks for learning Chinese.
egreat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle