Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Thumbs up Ultimate Upgrade

Oh, goody-goody!!!

Got myself Android phone: total nirvana!!!

eDGes and Android phones are really complimentary to each other:
- eDGes have an Internet access at any time any place;
- eDGes can supply restricted apps to my phone.

Now I don't even need Market app installed on my PE. And one of them don't even have one.
I don't need to mess with Titanium backup/restore.

I just go to market.android.com, find my app and install it directly from website.
I can just use a PC to find an app and send it to my phone.
I can tether PE to phone's GPS and use Maps on a big screen.

I have the second PE as an insurance for the first one.

The only remaining question I have:
- how to prolong a lifespan of the second battery: is it better to keep it in a cold place without touching until the first one dies or should I charge it time to time?
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur
ilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindles, iPad,Note 8, Note 3, iPhone 5,Sony 350& T1, Entourage PE & EE
You lost me somewhere there, how do you install apps from the market on your edge without market on your edge and also without Titanium backup?
ilovegadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegadgets View Post
You lost me somewhere there, how do you install apps from the market on your edge without market on your edge and also without Titanium backup?
Exactly as I said:
I open home page market.android.com, search an app I'm interested in, open the app page and it has a button "Install", just click it - done.
And now I'm lost: why do I need backup to install anything?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur
ilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic something

I think I must be misunderstanding you. I thought you were saying you could go to android.market.com and download to your Edge, but you just mean you can download to your phone. Right?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegadgets View Post
I think I must be misunderstanding you. I thought you were saying you could go to android.market.com and download to your Edge, but you just mean you can download to your phone. Right?
No, open browser on eDGe and download to eDGe.
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur

hmmm. I tried that and was unsuccessful. I have an android phone also.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #7
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Is it because you now have a market account, so google lets you in over the internet??

I am thinking about getting an Android phone.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Is it because you now have a market account, so google lets you in over the internet??
Exactly.
I forgot to mention after you hit Install button a new dialog box pops up asking to login. You provide your Google Mail credentials, the same you used to register your phone, and that's it.
Even more: if you bought a non-contract phone, e.g., LG Thrive, registered it and returned, you're still in.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
The only remaining question I have:
- how to prolong a lifespan of the second battery: is it better to keep it in a cold place without touching until the first one dies or should I charge it time to time?
The PE's battery should last you longer than you'll own the device (i.e. 4+ years). It's the very latest Li-ion battery technology. I would charge your backup PE fully overnight and then just store it in cupboard or something, checking it maybe a couple of times a year (I think battery leakage is also minimal with these).
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
The PE's battery should last you longer than you'll own the device (i.e. 4+ years).
That depends on what you mean:
- if you mean the device is going to get broken (fried), that's probably the case, and that's why I have the second;
- if you mean I'm going to get bored then I can't imagine this scenario;
- the device gets outdated then I don't care, I like it as it is. And with this upgrade - Oh yeah, baby.
Quote:
I would charge your backup PE fully overnight and then just store it in cupboard or something, checking it maybe a couple of times a year (I think battery leakage is also minimal with these).
It's probably a good idea to have a little bit of charge.
I'm going to test how long it keeps a charge while off.
Hibernate lasted 170 hours for me. Somebody reported 10 days.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Batnastard
Batnastard began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
When I go to market.android.com and try to install an app, it asks which device I want to install to, and the PE is not listed...any idea how I can fix this? Thanks!
Batnastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #12
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batnastard View Post
When I go to market.android.com and try to install an app, it asks which device I want to install to, and the PE is not listed...any idea how I can fix this? Thanks!
Apparently it does ask the question sometimes. Sometimes not.
No, I don't know how to "fix" it. There are so many alternative methods I lost count and interest. Try

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...152337&page=11
post #152.

And there is always adb as a last resort.

And an emulator.

Last edited by ptsenter; 10-28-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
Batnastard
Batnastard began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket eDGe
Thanks,
I've had good luck finding apks but market would be nice. Sad part is I have an android phone but can't get rooting to work.
Batnastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #14
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batnastard View Post
Thanks,
Sad part is I have an android phone but can't get rooting to work.
Rooting was a major issue for my Ultimate Upgrade success. And I have AT&T - the worst of all of them. Unbelievably, I had to spend 2 days: rooting + tethering. In the end xda-developers helped.
What's your phone?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
ptsenter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post
It's probably a good idea to have a little bit of charge.
I'm going to test how long it keeps a charge while off.
Found this:
"Lithium-ion must be stored in a charged state, ideally 40 percent."
So, have to find out how long it takes to drop from 50% to 30% while PE is off.
And stored in dry and cool (15C) place.