Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #136
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
My problem isn't horror but depression. Basically I think most books of interest say something about people-and sometimes that 'something' is very depressing. I prefer not to continue reading something that depresses me unless it's really important-like current news. (Not that all of that is important but some, like the reason terrorism is on the rise, is.)

Last edited by calvin-c; 09-29-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #137
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
Which would seem to support what I'd said earlier about the blurbs revealing far too much about the book.
Yes, I guess it does.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #138
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
"The Orphan Master's Son"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I was reading another thread about reading things we don't agree with, and it struck me: The only time I can remember stopping a book because its premise was too disturbing was when I read How Few Remain. I find it odd, because I'm sure I could read a book set after the South won the Civil War, but something about watching the South win just struck me the wrong way.

Have you read any book where the premise or some event in the book made it too disturbing for you to continue with it?
I managed to finish it, but I had to read it in short sessions. Somewhat disturbing, but a fantastic read, nonetheless.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #139
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Nope, I'm a veteran of ''extreme'' horror which would grossly offend most sensibilities. I moved away from that genre though for mental health reasons lol. Nothing serious but a steady diet of that material does begin to take its toll.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #140
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Yes. The Mockingjay. And I love horror... but dystopian-- you never know which way it's gonna go. hoo nose...

Last edited by idraw22; 10-01-2013 at 04:48 AM.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #141
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I'm reading a nonfiction book like that at the moment. I'm interested in the subject matter but I admit it also scares me. It's not a long book but man the subject matter is very dystopian.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #142
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I started reading Shogun but had to stop when they started boiling people alive.
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #143
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
When I read the of how Let's go play at the Adams' would end, the remaining half was disturbing, but I went to the final. As Pablo said about another book, extremely disturbing. I would not recommend it to anybody.
This is one of the most disturbing books I've ever read. I was in first or second year university. I did finish it but threw it out afterwards. I'd forgotten its title, but just looked it up and it's the same book.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #144
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Black Sunday by Thomas Harris --

Spoiler:
after the protagonist put a live kitten down the kitchen sink disposal

I had to stop ... and never went back

Although in Hannibal

Spoiler:
dining off the brains of a live dinner partner

didn't bother me as much ....
I've read Hannibal and yes, I would be bothered more by what happens in Black Sunday...Anything where kids get hurt bothers me too.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:17 AM   #145
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Yes. I read this Japanese book, can't remember the name off head I'll have to dig it out of my Amazon order list. It was about a teenage girl who was adopted. She found her biological dad and then decided that she wanted to sleep with him and she did. I stopped reading after that.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #146
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
2 books for me.

Liseys Story by Stephen King - child abuse

The Devils Punchbowl by Greg Iles - extreme abuse of a woman

I finished The Devils Punchbowl but I had to skip through it. It was too much.
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #147
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Yes. I read this Japanese book, can't remember the name off head I'll have to dig it out of my Amazon order list. It was about a teenage girl who was adopted. She found her biological dad and then decided that she wanted to sleep with him and she did. I stopped reading after that.
For me, it would depend entirely on how the story was done -- whether, for example, the writer conveyed the irony of the idea that a teenaged daughter "wanted" to sleep with her father "and so she did" -- as if the father weren't responsible. Lolita tells a similar story and part of the point is for the reader to be disturbed by the dissonance between what's actually happening and the way the main character perceives and rationalizes it.

I might have stopped reading the book as well, but only because the author's insensitivity annoyed me, not because I found it too disturbing. I've often stopped reading John Updike for that reason. I have the same reaction to Updike that David Foster Wallace not only had but chronicled in his hilarious review of Updike's late science fiction novel, Toward the End of Time.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-09-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #148
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-kindled View Post
I actually did put the book down for half an hour, at the end of the chapter, to wash my hands...
Spoiler:
All the way expecting that blood would explode from the kitchen sink...

Ah, IT. One of the best fairy tales ever written.

Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote