Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast
Xqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
Full screen native kindle terminal

Hey everyone, first post here. I built this for myself and decided id share with everyone

Its a simple modification of this:
http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/kind...indle-terminal

A good guide for install is here:
http://tinyapps.org/docs/kindle_stan..._terminal.html

A direct mirror will be available here (once my DNS updates):
http://xkid.biz/projects/kindle/kiterm-20110107fs.zip

For now, download it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4du1o38imv20bg1

Source is included in the download, i hope you enjoy it
Xqtftqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
skippper
skippper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
What are the differences compared to the original luigi's terminal?
skippper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippper View Post
What are the differences compared to the original luigi's terminal?

luigis terminal only handles 25 lines, mine handles 50. so instead of only using the top half of the screen, mine can use the entire screen. more space for stuff like irssi
Old 03-22-2011, 04:18 AM   #4
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqtftqx View Post
luigis terminal only handles 25 lines, mine handles 50. so instead of only using the top half of the screen, mine can use the entire screen. more space for stuff like irssi
Is it configurable ? Sometimes I'd like to see the help screen.

I've fixed a bug in Luigi's kiterm that caused refusing to accept any further launchpad commands after an unknown command was entered (I use kiterm instead of launchpad). Did you also encounter it ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
lrizzo
lrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguelrizzo can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Is it configurable ? Sometimes I'd like to see the help screen.

I've fixed a bug in Luigi's kiterm that caused refusing to accept any further launchpad commands after an unknown command was entered (I use kiterm instead of launchpad). Did you also encounter it ?
i would be grateful if you could pass me the fix so i can import it in
my source tree (email to rizzo@iet.unipi.it)

thanks
luigi
lrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the patch.
BTW excellent work. I like the idea of tasks sharing the keyboard.

How hard would it be to turn kiterm into a standalone terminal process that would capture the screen & keyboard after launching and release it after exit ? I.e. no launchpad integration and a single terminal instance. Such tool would introduce a whole new cli platform to Kindle - e.g. "kiterm cmus" or "kiterm pjsua".
Attached Files
File Type: gz kiterm.lp-freeze.patch.gz (460 Bytes, 767 views)
Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 PM   #7
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrizzo View Post
i would be grateful if you could pass me the fix so i can import it in
my source tree (email to rizzo@iet.unipi.it)

thanks
luigi
Hey luigi,

think we can set up a github? Another question i have is why did you not make it full screen by default? I really respect your work, id just like tp pick your brain.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
a standalone terminal process that would capture the screen & keyboard after launching and release it after exit ?
FYI: this is exactly what our fbterm port to Kindle, which is coming soon, will be doing.
Differences/benefits are:
  • scalable fonts with no odd character width limitation
  • Unicode support
  • comes along with rich input method
  • can coexist with launchpad
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:12 AM   #9
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Hi, I'm an ubuntu user, so have occasionally used the terminal (usually with a 'how-to' open). What kind of things can the terminal do on the kindle? Or is it just for developers who need to get to the guts?
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #10
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
Hi, I'm an ubuntu user, so have occasionally used the terminal (usually with a 'how-to' open). What kind of things can the terminal do on the kindle? Or is it just for developers who need to get to the guts?
It can run nearly ANY Linux terminal app. That's a huge amount of ready-to-use applications for your Kindle. Many such apps have a nice TUI (curses) interface, so it is not for developers only.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Quote:
It can run nearly ANY Linux terminal app. That's a huge amount of ready-to-use applications for your Kindle. Many such apps have a nice TUI (curses) interface, so it is not for developers only.
Hang on, let me get this straight. I can install linux apps directly onto my kindle? =O

Is there a how-to on this somewhere? A list of apps that play nice? A better browser for example (I'm typing this on my Kindle)?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Hang on, let me get this straight. I can install linux apps directly onto my kindle? =O
If 'install' means compile, copy & run, then yes, you can.
mplayer, fbreader and others are just linux apps compiled for Kindle.

Quote:
Is there a how-to on this somewhere? A list of apps that play nice? A better browser for example (I'm typing this on my Kindle)?
The user interface is the problem.
Kindle doesn't have an X server so you cannot normally run GUI apps (it is only possible to compile apps utilizing Qt somehow, e.g. fbreader). TUI apps don't need an X server but they need a visible terminal controlled by Kindle keyboard. And that's what fbterm could provide.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
Tanga
Zealot

Neat. there are a couple od terminal apps which might be good. What flavour linux does the kindle use? Can I use debs or something easy like that?

Last edited by Tanga; 03-23-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast

OP Here,

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1uke View Post
FYI: this is exactly what our fbterm port to Kindle, which is coming soon, will be doing.
Differences/benefits are:
  • scalable fonts with no odd character width limitation
  • Unicode support
  • comes along with rich input method
  • can coexist with launchpad
Interesting. If you want any help, please contact me. you can find my email on xkid.biz (Or if youd like to let me play with what you already have )

btw, good work with launchpad

Quote:
If 'install' means compile, copy & run, then yes, you can.
mplayer, fbreader and others are just linux apps compiled for Kindle.

The user interface is the problem.
Kindle doesn't have an X server so you cannot normally run GUI apps (it is only possible to compile apps utilizing Qt somehow, e.g. fbreader). TUI apps don't need an X server but they need a visible terminal controlled by Kindle keyboard. And that's what fbterm could provide.

Actually, you can run X11 on the kindle. i have it running on my kindle currently. Patches can be found in the old savory repo.

Quote:
Neat. there are a couple od terminal apps which might be good. What flavour linux does the kindle use? Can I use debs or something easy like that?
The kindle isnt running any "flavour" of linux, if youd like a simple apt-get like your used to look at the howto on installing debian. Although its not recommended for newbies. I may write an easier tutorial sometime soon.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
Tanga
Zealot

Ooh, it requires usb-networking. Isn't that the hack that most often bricks kindles?