Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Tegan
Connoisseur
Tegan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1st Gen, Kindle 3 SO
Scheduled Custom News Recipes Disappear When Switching Libraries

I just started to use the multiple libraries feature, and when I switched to a new library I discovered that all my scheduled news downloads were no longer there. The custom recipes are still there, but they are no longer scheduled.

Did I screw something up somehow? Help?
Tegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
custom recipes are stored per library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
Tegan
Connoisseur

Yes, but the scheduled ones vanish.

So I start in the library I have the news scheduled to download in. Then I switch to another library to do some work. When I switch back to the first library, the schedules are all gone. The recipes are still there, but they are no longer scheduled.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know that's a limitation that stems from the fact that custom recipes are stored per library.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
Tegan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I know that's a limitation that stems from the fact that custom recipes are stored per library.
So I can't switch libraries without losing the scheduling information? That's... rather limiting. I understand the schedules not running if I'm in another library, but to actually lose the schedule seems fairly extreme. Is there a way to save the schedule so I don't lose it every time I switch?
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No there isn't.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No there isn't.
Wow. I never realized this. I don't use additional libraries, but I occasionally run tests to help others or for development, to make testing faster. I never realized that was why my custom recipes occasionally seemed to unschedule themselves. Can I work around this by pointing to another config directory at the same time I point to another library (with a batch file and startup switches or environment variables) and never using "Switch Library" from inside the program?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah, using different config directories will work.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
In fact if you use a batch file (probably modelled on the Calibre Portable.bat file in the calibre resources folder) then if you explicitly specify the config folder then Library switching is disabled so that you cannot do it by accident.

Note that have been updates to the Calibre Portable.bat file in recent weeks to slightly improve it so if you have your own batch file based on an older version it might be worth having a look at the most recent version.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
Tegan
Connoisseur

Eh. I thought it was a bug. Didn't realize it had to do with the configs for each library. Fixing it with a batch file is beyond me for now (just started to really study Python for my recipe making, I've got a lot to learn) so I'll just live with it.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
Eh. I thought it was a bug. Didn't realize it had to do with the configs for each library. Fixing it with a batch file is beyond me for now (just started to really study Python for my recipe making, I've got a lot to learn) so I'll just live with it.
The whole idea of providing the Calibre Portable.bat batch file is that most of the hard work has been done for you. Before giving up on the idea of a batch file you might want to try opening it in a text editor and reading the embedded comments. There is also a section in the User Guide on using this batch file written for non-technical users.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
Tegan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The whole idea of providing the Calibre Portable.bat batch file is that most of the hard work has been done for you. Before giving up on the idea of a batch file you might want to try opening it in a text editor and reading the embedded comments. There is also a section in the User Guide on using this batch file written for non-technical users.
Ah, you've shamed me into trying again. I just feel like my head is so full of Python stuff I can't learn any more at the moment! Once more into the breach...
Old 01-29-2011, 06:51 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
In fact if you use a batch file (probably modelled on the Calibre Portable.bat file in the calibre resources folder) then if you explicitly specify the config folder then Library switching is disabled so that you cannot do it by accident.
Specifying a config folder does not disable library switching specifying a metadata.db file disables library switching. I know this because I start-up with a specified config folder in my bat and switch libraries all the time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #14
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Specifying a config folder does not disable library switching specifying a metadata.db file disables library switching. I know this because I start-up with a specified config folder in my bat and switch libraries all the time.
Yes - you are correct. It is just my memory playing me false. I knew something disabled Library switching and falsely thought it was specifying the config file.

All this reading of e-books must be bad for my memory