Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I mean, replace the "Web" shortcut in the B&N launcher with Dolphin or whatever (instead of the stock no-multitouch browser).
That's what I thought after I signed off for the night.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #17
woodyear99
woodyear99 is on a distinguished road

Device: NookColor
What are the advantages of getting adb installed? I'm just interested in getting market access to download a few useful apps really.
woodyear99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyear99 View Post
What are the advantages of getting adb installed? I'm just interested in getting market access to download a few useful apps really.
You need to have that working for troubleshooting purposes and sometimes files need to be pulled and pushed from and to the memory of the device.

Roger experienced the troubleshooting issue the other night. It can and probably will happen.

It's not a requirement if you don't mind doing a factory reset should you encounter a problem.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #19
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
Do you mean that the autoroot process will erase all of the books I downloaded to my NC? I thought it did not do this?
no, i was meaning that if you screw up and have to restore that you'd lose your data. sorry about not explaining that.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #20
woodyear99
woodyear99 is on a distinguished road

Device: NookColor
Thanks for the info, will install adb after rooting. Gotta read up on that first
woodyear99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #21
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Music and pictures on SD card

I've got lots of music (and photos) on a uSD card that I use in my phone, I'm trying to figure out how I can just copy the files from the card onto my NC.....without having to go thru my computer....Seems I can't just drag the folder on the card to my music folder on the NC...It'd be nice to have specific folders for the different groups....I tried to create a music shelf....no dice...

Is this something I could do if I rooted?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #22
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I've got lots of music (and photos) on a uSD card that I use in my phone, I'm trying to figure out how I can just copy the files from the card onto my NC.....without having to go thru my computer....Seems I can't just drag the folder on the card to my music folder on the NC...It'd be nice to have specific folders for the different groups....I tried to create a music shelf....no dice...

Is this something I could do if I rooted?
The stock NC has no file management system, so you need the computer to move stuff around. The stock music player allows you to browse by artist, album, song. Playlists can also be created. I'm speaking from the perspective of dropping some content from my iTunes folder onto the device. I don't know the file structure of how your music is stored on your computer.

If you want a file manager you need to root.

Last edited by SCION; 12-23-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:45 PM   #23
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

How about having the library books that I've borrowed showing up on the home screen? or at least having a specific shelf that I created on the home screen (or a file called Music on the home screen)....If I rooted could I do this too...
Old 12-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #24
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
How about having the library books that I've borrowed showing up on the home screen? or at least having a specific shelf that I created on the home screen (or a file called Music on the home screen)....If I rooted could I do this too...
The stock NC homescreen is only for B&N purchased content. If you root you can install a different launcher (homescreen replacement) and still access the original homescreen. There's a thread that gives suggestions of how to put shortcuts to content on there. It references books, but the same process can be used for other things.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112375
Old 12-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #25
The Joker
Addict

I don't like not having the ability to manage my own files....I'd like to be able to place something other than the books I've gotten from BN on my home screen......maybe even shortcuts to specific websites, without having to push the web button and go to favorites.....

If I wanted to review info on how to Root....
Is this the link to study....
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting
and
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB
Old 12-23-2010, 02:02 PM   #26
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I don't like not having the ability to manage my own files....I'd like to be able to place something other than the books I've gotten from BN on my home screen......maybe even shortcuts to specific websites, without having to push the web button and go to favorites.....

If I wanted to review info on how to Root....
Is this the link to study....
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting and "Things to do after you've rooted your NookColor" at the bottom of the page.

and
http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB
Yes, and the red text I included.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #27
The Joker
Addict

Thank you for info.........
Old 12-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #28
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
What is the difference between Win32DiskImager.exe and winimage.exe as for as writing the image to the microSD? Will either one work? Or must it be Win32DiskImager.exe?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #29
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Either one should work.

I used winimage to create my SD card to root ....

I win32diskimage (per the instructions) to create SD card to boot to 2.2 (didn't work - but I think my card might be bad)
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #30
SCION
Séduisant

Bump.