Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Embedded fonts not always visible

I have a file with embedded fonts - just one font, Times New Roman italic in fact. I use it for words in a foreign language, which, since they are in a foreign language, are in italics. The font file includes a great many accents above and below vowels, of which I use four.

These appear without problem in the original OpenOffice file, in pdf format, in Calibre, in Sigil, in Stanza. But not in Adobe DME.

They appear in my Iriver, but not in the Sony 950, nor the Aluratek Libre Pro.

Any comments? Are embedded fonts a known problem in epub files?
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Font embedding is really hit and miss (ibooks, for example DO NOT support font embedding)
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
What Adjust says is true, but still, a few of those should support it. Can you post the CSS you're using inside the ePub?

Also, you might want to note that you probably don't have the legal rights to distribute Times New Roman, unless you're paying for the right to do so. Consider using an open/free license Times clone like TeX Gyre Termes, FreeSerif or Nimbus Roman No9 L (or a completely different font).
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 AM   #4
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Solved. I forgot the font clause in css. I assumed sigil would add that clause when I added the fonts.

Thanks for the tip Frabjous. I'll look at those fonts. Where would I get them for the Mac?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Here is the page for all the TEX Gyre fonts. Read about them and then go to the font page you want and dl the OTF font collection. They are the same for Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Google is your friend...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
James_Wilde
Guru

Thanks, Pholy. I did eventually find (with my friend Google!) the FreeSerif fonts. I also found the Tex Gyre fonts, which gave an error message on my Mac. And the Nimbus fonts, which everybody I found wanted money for.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Curious... I just installed all the Tex Gyre fonts using FontBook, and verified the Termes Regular. I'm using 10.6.5, in case that makes a difference. I'll keep them for embedding in my epubs.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Thanks, Pholy. I did eventually find (with my friend Google!) the FreeSerif fonts. I also found the Tex Gyre fonts, which gave an error message on my Mac. And the Nimbus fonts, which everybody I found wanted money for.
Nimbus Roman No9 L is one of the standard Ghostscript fonts and comes free with Ghostscript. You can for example download it here for free as part of a bundle. However, it typically comes as a Type-1 font, which is probably less convenient. (You could convert it to .ttf, but it might be a pain.) I thought someone was distributing the ghostscript fonts for free as .ttf files somewhere but I cannot find the webpage now.

Not sure why TeX Gyre Termes didn't work for you.

Another option for a free-license Times clone would be the very comprehensive STIX fonts, though they're probably overkill and may increase the size of your file more than it's worth it.

But if FreeSerif works, then it's not a problem!

Last edited by frabjous; 12-13-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
there are various threads with freefont links here on MR
search for "Libertine" and "SIL"
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #10
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Not sure why TeX Gyre Termes didn't work for you.

But if FreeSerif works, then it's not a problem!
TeX Gyre came up with a message about certain symbols having one hex code but should have another. In fact, so did FreeSerif fonts, but only for symbols that I don't use, so I tested them.

And whatever I did, I couldn't find a way for the FreeSerif fonts not to eat up part of the line above, so in the end I decided to go back to TNR and hope Microsoft don't sue me. I'll just put 95% of my earnings in escrow for a few years, just in case...
Old 12-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
frabjous
Wizard

Funny. These are pretty heavily tested fonts. Exactly what software is reporting these errors?

Are you using a special character encoding for the files in the ePub? I would suggest Unicode/UTF-8.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
well as TNR replacement for print I'd recommend Linux Libertine". being AFAIR very carefully sized
for ereader I use Gentium Book now (slightly bolder
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Funny. These are pretty heavily tested fonts. Exactly what software is reporting these errors?

Are you using a special character encoding for the files in the ePub? I would suggest Unicode/UTF-8.
It was Fontforge that gave me the message. No special character encoding. Most - if not all - of what I do is Mac normal, which means UTF-8.

I'll see if I still have the FreeSerif files and test again with a detailed error message.

"The glyph named mu is mapped to U+00B5.
But its name indicates it should be mapped to U+03BC"
plus 3 others, 2 for tcommaaccent and 1 for Delta.

As I say, I don't use mu, Delta and tcommaaccent, so I tested. I got the impression that the font included white space around the font, and that it was this that encroached on the line above.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
James_Wilde
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
well as TNR replacement for print I'd recommend Linux Libertine". being AFAIR very carefully sized
for ereader I use Gentium Book now (slightly bolder
Thanks, Freeshadow:

Linux Libertine - sounds like I could use that on my Ubuntu box, but how would it work on the Mac?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
frabjous
Wizard

I wouldn't worry about those errors in fontforge, though if you're not seeing what you want to be seeing when you test, that's a bigger issue, though it seems unrelated. I wonder if you could create a sample document to upload here. I'm curious what the issue might be. Are you converting to another format with fontforge?

Linux Libertine works on any operating system -- or should. (Of course, I thought that about my other suggestions too!)

It's not a Times clone, though it is similar kind of font. I would have suggested it myself, but I thought you had your heart set on a true Times clone.

More info here: the Libertine fonts project.