Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I bent the pins on my lighted case

As I was going to bed last night I finished reading and set my Kindle on my night stand but didn't quite get it all the way on. The Kindle toppled off, bounced off the base of my lamp, and landed on the floor. I picked it up and saw that the Kindle had come loose from the pins. I didn't think it was any big deal, until I tried to put it back in the case and it wouldn't fit at all.

The Kindle itself was fine, no cracks that I could see, but the post holding the bottom pin was twisted and the pin itself was bent down. After some extremely careful bending I got the pin to slide back into the Kindle but now there was a bit of wobble and movement.

I added two velcro strips to the back of the Kindle to keep it tightly bonded to the case, and it seems to be holding well with no extra jiggle.

So, be careful with your Kindle. The drop wasn't very high, and the landing wasn't too hard, but it was apparently enough. I've dropped my K1 from much higher several times without incident.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Good to hear that your Kindle survived the fall and that your lighted cover is still working. Perhaps one or two of these might secure the cover to your Kindle even better than (or along with) the velcro:
http://www.amazon.com/Smak-Dab-Cover...8&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Good to hear that your Kindle survived the fall and that your lighted cover is still working. Perhaps one or two of these might secure the cover to your Kindle even better than (or along with) the velcro:
http://www.amazon.com/Smak-Dab-Cover...8&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Holly
Thanks, I've had one of those in my cart at Amazon for a while. I really need to order it. I just hate to pay shipping on small purchases.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipA82 View Post
I use that secure clip almost every day. It's awesome
Will this clip fit the new wi fi 3? The description on amazon says DX2/3
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by flhden View Post
Will this clip fit the new wi fi 3? The description on amazon says DX2/3
Actually I think is says "Kindle DX/2/3" - I believe they mean that it is for the Kindle DX, Kindle 2 and Kindle 3. I could be very wrong, but as far as I know there isn't a version 2 or 3 of the DX, it is just called Kindle DX So it should indeed fit the Kindle 3.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Actually I think is says "Kindle DX/2/3" - I believe they mean that it is for the Kindle DX, Kindle 2 and Kindle 3. I could be very wrong, but as far as I know there isn't a version 2 or 3 of the DX, it is just called Kindle DX So it should indeed fit the Kindle 3.

Holly
Thank you , it's been ordered. More to ship than to buy, but what the he__
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
I just ordered and got the Smak-Dab last week. Free shipping for Prime or just order another $20.05 in merchandise for free shipping.

It works pretty well. For the K3 you may have to squeeze it a bit to get it a little tighter. And it is designed for the DX, K2 and K3.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 AM   #8
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I use this clip on my Kindle 3 with lighted cover and it works great, just a bit extra security for just this issue, was too paranoid about it slipping off my lap or bed.

The clip is tight for the K3 and lighted cover, but you can widen the clip before you use it. It is metal coated in plastic, so you can widen or narrow it to your needs. I don't like my kindle being nipped tight so I widened mine slightly and its great, holds firm but not putting pressure on my kindle.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I think I almost like the small strip of velcro idea better. Sometimes I take the Kindle out of the case if I have plenty of light around (its so thin!). I have no doubt I would then immediately loose the clip
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
Starstryder
Starstryder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I really like the idea of some velcro as well, will get some this weekend to secure that puppy in there.
Starstryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
As I was going to bed last night I finished reading and set my Kindle on my night stand but didn't quite get it all the way on. The Kindle toppled off, bounced off the base of my lamp, and landed on the floor. I picked it up and saw that the Kindle had come loose from the pins. I didn't think it was any big deal, until I tried to put it back in the case and it wouldn't fit at all.

The Kindle itself was fine, no cracks that I could see, but the post holding the bottom pin was twisted and the pin itself was bent down. After some extremely careful bending I got the pin to slide back into the Kindle but now there was a bit of wobble and movement.

I added two velcro strips to the back of the Kindle to keep it tightly bonded to the case, and it seems to be holding well with no extra jiggle.

So, be careful with your Kindle. The drop wasn't very high, and the landing wasn't too hard, but it was apparently enough. I've dropped my K1 from much higher several times without incident.
Just out of curiousity, did you have the elastic band built into the case properly secured? It is supposed to protect against such accidents by keeping the case closed, but I've often wondered whether it would be effective.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Just out of curiousity, did you have the elastic band built into the case properly secured? It is supposed to protect against such accidents by keeping the case closed, but I've often wondered whether it would be effective.
To be honest, I don't remember. I'm not sure it would have helped given the way it bounced, but it may have. I just don't recall.