Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #14731
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Tonight I'm going to be starting Dead Beat by Jim Butcher. It is another book in the Dresden Files series.

Quote:
Harry Dresden must save Chicago from black magic and necromancy—but first, he must locate the Word of Kemmler. Just as soon as he figures out what that is. It’s all in a day’s work for the city’s only professional wizard…assuming he can live to see the end of the day.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #14732
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Progeny by Dan Worth. It's an incredibly epic, Mass-Effect style space opera.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #14733
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I finished "Outlander" the day before yesterday. "Cloud Atlas" was next on my TBR list, but then I read the thread about the "Wool" series and thought I might like it. While shopping for it I searched for other books written by Hugh Howey and decided to get and read "The Hurricane" first. Well, I couldn't go to bed without finishing it. A simple story about a teenager and his family in the middle of a hurricane, but well written, and I like that kind of story!
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #14734
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Demon in the Skull by Frederik Pohl
An interesting and disturbing look at the impact of absolute power.

Next: Outward Bound by James P. Hogan.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #14735
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Outward Bound by James P. Hogan.
It's pretty good, I think. A revival of Heinlein's juvenile SF. This first one is the best one in the series by far, to my mind.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #14736
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just finished Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back by Frank Schaeffer. Crazy for God is a penetrating look into the life of one of the men who, as the son and right-hand man of Dr. Francis Schaeffer, was one of the major players involved in establishing the religious/political movement that's come to be known as the "Religious Right". His behind-the-scenes look at many of the "stars" of that movement and their private motivations is eye-opening. Most highly recommended.

Now I'm reading I, Robot by Isaac Asimov.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #14737
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished Life of Pi by Yann Martel last night. I mostly liked it. It reads as an adventure story most of the way through - I was left wondering how it was Booker-winning material - but then it becomes something more complex and interesting.

This was my only iBook*, which meant I had to read it on the iPad. Annoying, but I've got it out of the way now.

Next up should be Lest Darkness Fall by L Sprague de Camp, which I've been meaning to read for months, but kept bumping it for something else, for various reasons. A classic bit of time travel fiction, I understand.

*Not strictly true. I also have Redbreast by Jo Nesbo for the same reason (Apple's 12 Days of Christmas giveaways), but I also have the Kindle version of that.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #14738
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
*Not strictly true. I also have Redbreast by Jo Nesbo for the same reason (Apple's 12 Days of Christmas giveaways), but I also have the Kindle version of that.
Ohhhh, I wonder if there will be a giveaway this year too?

The unusual point of view of Norwegian soldiers fighting on the German side at the Eastern Front made Redbreast a worthwhile read for me.

Life of Pi is an adventure story. Richard Parker really is a tiger, la la la la I can't hear you.

Last edited by Synamon; 11-30-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #14739
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just finished Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back by Frank Schaeffer. Crazy for God is a penetrating look into the life of one of the men who, as the son and right-hand man of Dr. Francis Schaeffer, was one of the major players involved in establishing the religious/political movement that's come to be known as the "Religious Right". His behind-the-scenes look at many of the "stars" of that movement and their private motivations is eye-opening. Most highly recommended.

Now I'm reading I, Robot by Isaac Asimov.
"Crazy For God" does sound interesting, WT! Given that I live on the border between "the pine curtain" (that's a Bernie reference) and Mardi Gras World (New Orleans), it may help me understand my neighbors (and some of my friends and relations).

Anyway, I am almost 30% through with Warm Bodies, not bad for two weekdays for me because I have so little time to read during the week. I was up until 1 A.M. Wednesday night because I wanted to finish Shadow of Night and start Warm Bodies. I'm still enjoying it. Such a different take on Zombies.

The library had several Murakami titles available on eAudio. I got The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. I only got to listen to about 20 minutes of it as I spend the night at my cousin's on my "swing shift" night due to my terrible commute. Kafka on the Shore, as I mentioned, did leave me scratching my head but I still appreciated the lovely writing so I'm up for more Murakami.

I am going to digress and just say how much I love my public library system. I (and other residents of my Parish) are so lucky. We're the wealthiest Parish bordering New Orleans and have a well-funded system with a great collection and many branches. They actually have more eBooks and eAudiobooks than the New Orleans Public Library has!

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 11-30-2012 at 09:26 AM.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #14740
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up, a Georgette Heyer, though I haven't decided which one. At least I know it won't disappoint!
Powder and Patch was the Heyer I ended up reading. Pure fun. Next up, the next Phryne Fisher mystery--The Green Mill Murder
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #14741
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm a third of the way through a nasty little number called Kill Your Friends, by John Niven. It's a murder story set against the backdrop of the UK (London) music business in the '90s, and is full of deeply unpleasant individuals doing all sorts of horrible things to each other and themselves. Enjoying it so far .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #14742
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am currently reading "Half way home" by Hugh Howey. I have read about 1/3 so far and I like it a lot!
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #14743
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The unusual point of view of Norwegian soldiers fighting on the German side at the Eastern Front made Redbreast a worthwhile read for me.
The Redbreast was actually one of the first books I bought on my Kindle, and I still haven't read it. I have this thing about starting series from the beginning, and at the time The Redbreast was the first Harry Hole novel available in English, but I knew from Wikipedia that it wasn't really the first one, and the real first one, The Bat, has only just been published in hardback.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #14744
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Cold Days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I've been reading at a little slower rate since starting my re-read of James Potter And The Vault Of Destinies and am a little bit past the half-way point and enjoying it a lot (again). But Cold Days, the 14th book in The Dresden Files was released today and I've put James Potter aside temporarily and begun reading Cold Days!

Zowie! What a fantastic book! WOW!!

To me, Cold Days is the best, most exciting, most thrilling and most informative Dresden Files book so far. Also Cold Days has finally given me some insight and understanding as to just what that final Apocalyptic Trilogy that Jim promises for the finale to this series might contain.

I'm going to re-read The Hobbit next.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #14745
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Zowie! What a fantastic book! WOW!!

To me, Cold Days is the best, most exciting, most thrilling and most informative Dresden Files book so far. Also Cold Days has finally given me some insight and understanding as to just what that final Apocalyptic Trilogy that Jim promises for the finale to this series might contain.

I'm going to re-read The Hobbit next.

Too bad it's the last Dresden Files book you're allowed to read. It's been decided that that MR users are no longer allowed to purchase (or even read if free) Penguin eBooks (or books until they sort out their eBooks) because Penguin has sunk to a new low on some of their eBooks by using a generic penguin logo (without any words to say what the book is or who wrote it) as the cover image. So, enjoy Cold Days as it's the last one you'll be reading.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2324972

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-30-2012 at 07:22 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote