Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Question Paperwhite 2 (6th Gen) will not update

Typically, I update all my Kindle devices manually as I prefer not to sync with Amazon. For the first time ever, I cannot update a Kindle. I have downloaded the appropriate .bin file, transferred it to the root directory and ejected the device. Oddly, the "Update Your Kindle" remains greyed out and when I reconnect and check the contents of the root directory the .bin file has vanished.

I have successfully transferred the file three times and each time it apparently disappears when I eject the PW. Prior to transferring, free space is 665MB, and after 466MB, further confirmation that the file has transferred.

I am baffled. Any ideas?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Kindle shouldn't delete an update file unless it is not a valid update -- for that device.
Are you absolutely positive you downloaded the right update?

I think a corrupted download should also get deleted.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I asked myself the same question and repeated the process with a second download. I have a Paperwhite 2 (among others) and have downloaded the file from the Paperwhite 6th generation link on Amazon. The file name is: update_kindle_paperwhite_v2_5.6.5.bin. All is stock with the exception of my added USE ALT FONTS file which has not caused any problems previously.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard

Just for kicks, I tried a third download of the file and it worked. Two corrupt files in a row? That's a bit troubling.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
But at least it finally worked. Maybe the gremlins are gone.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard

Fingers crossed. I still have to update the Voyage...
Old 09-26-2015, 06:32 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But at least it finally worked. Maybe the gremlins are gone.

Just make sure that Shatner doesn't rear his ugly, moon-faced puss, or you'll be in real trouble!

Skydog: Glad you got it working. That does seem odd that there would be two bad updates. Is your internet connection normally pretty good?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:57 AM   #8
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Just make sure that Shatner doesn't rear his ugly, moon-faced puss, or you'll be in real trouble!

Skydog: Glad you got it working. That does seem odd that there would be two bad updates. Is your internet connection normally pretty good?
Yes, indeed it is. This exercise certainly has me scratching my head!