Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2013, 05:27 AM   #526
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
hi, No.

And yes. I posted the wrong CHANGELOG.

It was REALLY late.

Have updated the toppost with the right info

The KUAL UPDATE itself was of course the right one

Last edited by twobob; 03-02-2013 at 07:11 AM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #527
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Are nested menus possible for this version?
no, they aren't.
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #528
n3rd4i
n3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to behold

Device: Amazon Kindle Keyboard
Hello

I have an issue with my kindle ( 3/ keyboard)
Well i've installed the following hacks:

Previous i have installed:
- Jailbreak version "kindle-jailbreak-0.6.N", and
- ScreenSaver hack, version "kindle-ss-0.26.N", from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=1

I the wanted to install Duokan as specified:
- 1) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150175
- 2) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=967

So i've followed the instruction but i was getting a failure (depending on the try i was getting U007, U006 and U004 errors).
I've searched solutions and some say that i whould need a newer jailbreak for this Duokan to work so i've tryied and tryied so uninstall "kindle-jailbreak-0.6.N" but i could'nt (i remmember errors U007).

First i've uninstalled the SS then the Jailbreak 6, i says successfull, but when i tryied to install JailBreak 11, says "Another jailbreak present... bla bla"
In that moment then i realised i was having installed the following hacks:
- kindle-usbnetwork (dont remmember the exact version) hack
- readabilitymod-0.1 hack (for exp browser)
- freedownload_0.x (dont remmember the version installed) hack (for exp browser)
- and kindlet prerequisites:
- update_k3_B008_kindlet_jailbreak
- update_k3_B008_devcerts

So i've uninstall all of the above hacks, and i then re-Uninstall the Jailbreak 6 successfull again, then reboot, then install Jailbreak 11, this time the install was a success, then i tryied to install Duokan and fails this time, then i reboot and try again and it worked.

Now i was having Duokan and KindleOS as dual boot, so i've changed the default KindleOS as default OS from here:
- https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=18
Only that my install was not Lite, was Full, so my config file is locate somewhere else like:
- /mnt/us/DK_System/xKindle/config.ini
So i've appended "DefaultSystem=3"

Then i've installed all my previous installed hacks:
In that moment then i realised i was having installed the following hacks:
- ScreenSaver (Latest)
- kindle-usbnetwork (Latest)
- readabilitymod-0.1 hack (Latest)
- freedownload_0.x (Latest)

- and kindlet prerequisites:
- update_k3_B008_kindlet_jailbreak (latest)
- update_k3_B008_devcerts (latest)

I've tryied Kindlet, worked fine (ver. 0.4)

Now in my mind i was having a fully functional device with the 2 OS but there was a problem that i found later:
- the Experimental Browser in KindleOS was seems to not be able to start anymore
Well when go for experimental >> Web Browser from a reboot, the system just hangs there, with no screen update, and i can only do the following:
- I can use Launchpad to launch some console / chess / etc applications
- I can force refresh with Shift + G (i should try printscreens)
But the screen update is hang there.

So i've tryied to connect it to PC. No screen update there...
I've ejected from PC (the PC was recongnising it as a MassStorage successfull) and observe that there was no screen update...

After a while (more than 30 mins i think or lots of hours) i just left the Kindle alone for some time then i done the following:
- ive insterted in USB (Detected as MassStorage)
- ejected from USB (ejected succesfull)
Then after 1 minute or So the screen started working with the history of actions that i've done when screen was not updated.... Very strange behavoir... but after that the system worked this way:
- I was manage to see the menus but the screen is not yet functional
- ive selected experimental browser and this time worked, showed the bookmarks... and then in this "restart cycle" the browser works

After a restart i whould have the same issue over again...
Any ideas?

Edit2: I have some saved logs after the following:
I dont undestand from where to where the save log saves...

- I've restarted Kindle
- I've tryied Exp Browser
- Screen hangs now, i cant use anything but some hacks
- I waited several hours
- I've connected / removed from PC, started working
- used command ";debugOn" and after that, ";dumpMessages"
Whould this help ?

Last edited by n3rd4i; 03-03-2013 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Edit: cut some unused lines
n3rd4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #529
n3rd4i
n3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to beholdn3rd4i is a splendid one to behold

I think

The KUAL should have an HELP subfunction to:
- ";DebugOn" and then "';dumpMessages"
- "Start LaunchPad"
- "End Launchpad"
- Toggle AutoStart of Launchpad
It could help the debug process to trace problems...

I've realised that when you have problems with screen update (not screen refresh) only launchpad can save you somehow...

EDIT: Maybe a possibility to launch KUAL from launchpad ?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #530
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
n3rd4i: Duokan is horribly under-documented. Especially their jailbreak (probably they just took Nilujes), their startup hooks and the list of modifications they make.

That said, what you describe sound like out-of-memory conditions. RAM, not flash. For everything you described I would have chosen one of the following two options (instead of messing with Launchpad): SSH into the K3 and analyse (hacker's choice) or power-cycle (layman's choice in order to get things done and going on again).

Also remember that you can always restore a messed up Kindle with ATK/k3flasher (I suggest Kubrick now). Maybe you should do so after that big party in your rootfs...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #531
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
n3rd4i and hawhill : They are terribly slow about releasing the sources of any open source software they are using also.

Supporting Duokan in this KUAL thread is not at the top of our (twobob and I), list of things to do.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #532
kroxs
kroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 4 black
I'm trying to install KUAL on my K4 black.
I follow instruction, but in the end it say that "Kindlet jailbreak not installed"?
(Sorry for my English)
kroxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #533
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroxs View Post
I'm trying to install KUAL on my K4 black.
I follow instruction, but in the end it say that "Kindlet jailbreak not installed"?
(Sorry for my English)
Need to install the file: update_k4_ALL_kindlet_jailbreak_install.bin

from the PREREQUSITES zip...
Old 03-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #534
kroxs
kroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud ofkroxs has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 4 black
Before or after?
Because I've installed it before.
kroxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #535
twobob

Before.

I only two? days ago did the exact same process on a kindle 4 and it worked flawlessly.

After also would not matter. the order of installation is unimportant.

Give the device a reboot maybe just to check it picked up the new Jar.

But honestly all the "prerequisite" changes are tiny ones - in general - affecting or adding a single file each. They all should "just work" after installation.

Last edited by twobob; 03-03-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #536
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Before.

I only two? days ago did the exact same process on a kindle 4 and it worked flawlessly.

After also would not matter. the order of installation is unimportant.

Give the device a reboot maybe just to check it picked up the new Jar.

But honestly all the "prerequisite" changes are tiny ones - in general - affecting or adding a single file each. They all should "just work" after installation.
I just today went from a "Demo" K4 to a standard K4 using Kubrick + plus the posted files around the site.

Everything "just worked" - -
Only thing - be sure to rename the README.txt file each time you unpack something.
Otherwise the directions will get over-written before you can read them.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #537
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroxs View Post
Before or after?
Because I've installed it before.
This it should have been a clue I suppose.

"Them", as in plural...

Updated the docs:
Quote:
[2i] Kindlet Jailbreak & [2ii] Shared Developer Keys:
(All Devices) Apply the correct pair from the prerequisites bundle

They will be of the format:
update_<DEV>_<SER>_devcerts_install.bin and also...
update_<DEV>_<SER>_kindlet_jailbreak_install.bin

Install them - one at a time - using the "UPDATE YOUR KINDLE" Method.
So to be clear: Install ONE... THEN the other one... NOT BOTH TOGETHER

Last edited by twobob; 03-03-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #538
twobob

@n3rd4i I have never used duokan.

I took a quick look at it and realised the source was not available: then wrote it off as a "bad idea".

Sorry. You may have more luck in the DUOKAN thread.
I can request your post be moved into that thread if you would prefer.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #539
n3rd4i

@hawhill, knc1 and twobob: Thanks for the explanations.

Indeed the problem was Duokan instalation. I've tryied to use "DISABLE_DUOKAN" in rootfs to make the boot sequence clean for KindleOS but with no success, I think its because I used the latest Duokan 2013 and this disable is no longer supported.

Another curious thing is the following behavoir:
- after a restart the boot sequence shows the menu to choose the OS
Option1: if I press "Z" = KindleOS (or just wait because of the default OS selected to KindleOS) after the system loads, the Exp Browser does not work.
Option2: if I press "Q" = DuokanOS, then in the main menu i go to system, then i use "Switch to Kindle" functionality, after the wait, the KindleOS is loaded up, the menus are very very slow, and suprisingly i can use the exp browser...

This i didn't understand, the option1 boot makes KindleOS work fast but no Exp Browser makes the system unfunctional, but if you chose option 2 the result KindleOS system works very slow, but the Exp Browser works.

So i decided to uninstall "DuokanOS" it from the main menu.
Now KindleOS works as expected. I will just stick with KindleOS for the moment.

I was thinking of installing an older version of DuokanOS (maybe latest 2012) to support DUOKAN_DISABLE functionality, but this is offtopic to this thread so i will stop disscussion this here.

Thanks again.

Edit: don't move the posts here, i will start new ones there if i will try this older version, thanks for support. The only good thing about this DuokanOS is the Cut Functionality of the PDF reader, exept that, you have no real advantage, and its crawls of python scripts, and this seems uses allot of memory

Last edited by n3rd4i; 03-04-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #540
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Shameless plug: Especially on the Kindle Keyboard, give KindlePDFViewer a try for reading PDFs (and other document formats) :-)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified