Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #21706
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Dinner tonight will be a Chinese vegetable soup with tofu, and nothing special planned for Christmas Day foods. We'll probably just stop by for some sushi on one of our walks.
A nice dinner of sushi would suit me far better than turkey with trimmings, but I'd never get that past the YTEP*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkobo View Post
Oh man, I've suspended the IF two Fridays ago (when we had our office Xmas lunch, I felt it was my social duty to join in the overeating and the tequila) and I've put on about 1.5 kg already.
So, by the 7th January, when I plan to have my next fast day, I expect 2-3 kg more.

Mini rant: why the hell is it so hard to loose fat and it is so easy to gain it back? Our bodies need a redesign, I say it's high time for Human 2.0.

Ah well...
It is depressing how quick the weight goes back on, I agree. I think I'm going to have abandon my two fast days this week, even so. There's so much food about the place, I feel I'm going to have to do my duty and help demolish at least some of it . I will be unhappy if I put as much as 3 kg back on tho'.

*Yule Tide Enforcement Police
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #21707
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
It is depressing how quick the weight goes back on, I agree. I think I'm going to have abandon my two fast days this week, even so. There's so much food about the place, I feel I'm going to have to do my duty and help demolish at least some of it . I will be unhappy if I put as much as 3 kg back on tho'.
Eat! Eat! Eat! Don't worry! I'll be taking off weight for both of you!
We took two long fast hill-climbing walks today, ran the stairs a few times, and did our in-house PT. We'll do the same tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.... I have 2kg to lose in the next six days.... I realize that I'm not going to make it, but that's no reason not to try. I've never believed in giving up.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #21708
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
We took two long fast hill-climbing walks today, ran the stairs a few times, and did our in-house PT. We'll do the same tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.... I have 2kg to lose in the next six days.... I realize that I'm not going to make it, but that's no reason not to try. I've never believed in giving up.

Stitchawl
Whew! I lost 2 pounds just reading that.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #21709
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

Stitchawl
Is the target for something specific, like the paragliding, or just, like Everest, because it's there?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #21710
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have not stepped on a scale in two weeks. I fear next Monday
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #21711
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I have not stepped on a scale in two weeks. I fear next Monday
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” Bene-Gesserit litany against fear (Dune - Frank Herbert)
Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #21712
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Is the target for something specific, like the paragliding, or just, like Everest, because it's there?
It's what I weighed when I was teaching Fencing, Kung-fu, and Cross country skiing. Early 30's, no fat, strong muscle tone. Not a body builder body... more a swimmer's body. I could see my ribs and had definition in my abs. I could run an 18k ski race, fence in compitition for 12 hours straight (fencing is an endurance sport...) with just 5-10 minutes between bouts. I was in shape. So after reaching the 90kg goal that I had set for the paragliding school, and enjoying the fact that I was getting back into condition, I just picked the weight that I was at for many years when in my prime. That's why I'm not just dieting. I'm putting on muscle again, especially on my legs, and toning up my upper body as well.

Hopefully I'll continue to exercise after I reach my goal. Unfortunately there is no fencing going on here, and Kung-fu is too painful. But I will resume Tai Chi (which I taught for many years too) when we get back to Thailand. I don't care for the Tai Chi styles I see being practiced here. And there I can do a lot of jungle trekking as well. Hiking in Japan is 'different.' (Vending machines along the trails?)

Stitchawl
Old 12-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #21713
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Hiking in Japan is 'different.' (Vending machines along the trails?)

Stitchawl
Haha. Japan was a very different place when I visited. I remember seeing a vending machine that had the slogan on it "Nice day, nice smoking."

Coming from a country that puts pictures of lung cancer victims and diseased tissues on cigarette packages it was weird.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #21714
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” Bene-Gesserit litany against fear (Dune - Frank Herbert)
The best piece in all the dune books.

Quote:
It's what I weighed when I was teaching Fencing, Kung-fu, and Cross country skiing. Early 30's, no fat, strong muscle tone. Not a body builder body... more a swimmer's body. I could see my ribs and had definition in my abs. I could run an 18k ski race, fence in compitition for 12 hours straight (fencing is an endurance sport...) with just 5-10 minutes between bouts. I was in shape. So after reaching the 90kg goal that I had set for the paragliding school, and enjoying the fact that I was getting back into condition, I just picked the weight that I was at for many years when in my prime. That's why I'm not just dieting. I'm putting on muscle again, especially on my legs, and toning up my upper body as well.

Hopefully I'll continue to exercise after I reach my goal. Unfortunately there is no fencing going on here, and Kung-fu is too painful. But I will resume Tai Chi (which I taught for many years too) when we get back to Thailand. I don't care for the Tai Chi styles I see being practiced here. And there I can do a lot of jungle trekking as well. Hiking in Japan is 'different.' (Vending machines along the trails?)

Stitchawl
Is there something you haven't tried!?
People like you, HarryT and kindlekitten plainly amaze me.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #21715
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Fear gets a bad rap, just because it's uncomfortable. Fear is good, it’s what keeps me from stepping in front of a speeding bus; I’m afraid it might hurt.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #21716
kennyc

Yep, a bit like pain.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #21717
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Haha. Japan was a very different place when I visited. I remember seeing a vending machine that had the slogan on it "Nice day, nice smoking." Coming from a country that puts pictures of lung cancer victims and diseased tissues on cigarette packages it was weird.
Japan is the strangest culture I have ever experienced. I've been all over the world, in places few have ever seen, in cultures that still practiced animal sacrifices, ate bat brains, and sold their children, but I've never experienced one as weird as Japan. A vending machine that had the slogan on it "Nice day, nice smoking," might seem a bit odd, just as big signs you see outside Thai restaurants that say 'Clean Food,' but vending machines that sell dirty schoolgirl underwear (signed by the wearer...) street-corner vending machines that sell beer and whiskey, company workers who will only take 3 of their approved 5 days off because they feel they have to 'help' support their company, supermarket employees who turn and bow to the market when they are exiting the floor going into the stockroom, a special day of the year for disposing of sewing needles, the list goes on and on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Hurbert said he based the idea for the Bene-Gesserit mental powers on the 'Silva Method of Mental Development.' As a Silva graduate and ex-lecturer, while he did 'expand' quite a bit, you'd be amazed at the similarities...

Quote:
Eggnog. There is just something about the name that.. that... I don't know?
But all kidding aside, the only thing I haven't tried is being black. I remember reading the book 'Black Like Me' when it came out. A non-fiction account of the writer's experience with medically darkening his skin, then moving to some Southern states to experience life from the Negro point of view in the early 60's. I always wondered what that would be like... until I came to Japan 25 years ago and began life as a looked-down-upon minority. People would move away from a Westerner on a train in those days.. which was actually sort of nice 'cuz I got to sit down more. Sometimes small children would come over to touch the hair on my arms in amazement. But often being completely ignored by sales staff in stores, not permitted into public baths (signs outside saying "No Foreigners Permitted,") gave me enough of an idea so I lost my desire to do the medical treatments. Fortunately, things changed in Japan for Westerners faster than they did for the Negro in America, and today I see very little of it remaining, although some stranger will want to touch my beard at least once a month...

Thanks to the lessons I learned in that Silva Method series, I've been able to go just about everywhere, and do just about every thing that ever came into my mind. You could say that the 'Bene-Gesserit' training gave me the tools to grow from un-educated biker trash in a rural New England town into a world-traveling university professor/turned photo-journalist experiencing everything life has to offer. I was fortunate. I still am.

Stitchawl
Old 12-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #21718
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post

People like you, HarryT and kindlekitten plainly amaze me.
My son had that tattooed on his upper thigh starting at the knee and ending up towards the groin when he was a SEAL after his first buddy got shot in front of him.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #21719
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I have 44 cigarettes in my possession.
5 cigarettes left. Hope to smoke them all before the in-laws get here. I would hate my last cigarette to be bummed away from me!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #21720
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
5 cigarettes left. Hope to smoke them all before the in-laws get here. I would hate my last cigarette to be bummed away from me!
That would be bad but certainly memorable. Congrats and best wishes!

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness